Recommendation on Tablet to use for Navionics App?

BaC

Jun 1, 2021
Beneteau 285 bay
Thanks for all the feedback. Im Considering the tablet option so that I can have one device mounted to helm for navigation, music apps and whatever else I may decide to run. Seems as though it would be a clean easy to use set up.
There are some guys building a specialty tablet for use on sailboats.https://sailproof.shop/contact/

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
BaC the sourced android tablet looks interesting.
For a tablet a 1000nit brightness screen is pretty good. Challenge is the battery demand of operation. By comparison the Axiom 7in monitor by Raymarine displays at 1500 nits. Truly brighter in direct sunlight.

One of the observed weaknesses of a tablet is overheating while in use under direct sunlight. I see the specs call for an upper operating limit of 50C. 122 degrees can easily be reached in the PacificNW during summer sunlight operations. You operating in the gulf will need to be careful with this limitation.

I use a tablet and a phone while cruising. I also use my laptop inside on my nav station. All this is backed up with charts and a compass, actually a couple of compasses.

Enjoy the journey.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Debatable, without the energy calculation and heat diss specs of the hardware involved. I would argue that overall energy used on the boat is the same or greater if using external Bluetooth devices + mob devices, vs internal GPS. The difference is negligible and not worthy of concern. I prefer having an all in one package such as phone or tablet with internal GPS; no finicky pairing involved and fewer charging cord/battery concerns.
I’m talking about the battery in the IPAD. Less battery use = less charging when plugged in continuously. My external GPS receiver is significantly more accurate than the gps on my IPhone. Supresently the receiver automatically connects to my IPad with out issue, every time. I can have up to 5 devices connected to the receiver and I data logs. I’m very happy with the set up. Now if I was going to decide on a integrated chart plotter vs a tablet/IPad…..I’d go plotter. But if the integrated system was off the table and the question was which IPAD/ Tablet? I’d go IPad because I like the apple platforms for the plotters apps better than Android ( I Sailor and I Boat) and I’d go no cell version due to costs.

Dec 28, 2015
BaC the sourced android tablet looks interesting.
For a tablet a 1000nit brightness screen is pretty good. Challenge is the battery demand of operation. By comparison the Axiom 7in monitor by Raymarine displays at 1500 nits. Truly brighter in direct sunlight.

One of the observed weaknesses of a tablet is overheating while in use under direct sunlight. I see the specs call for an upper operating limit of 50C. 122 degrees can easily be reached in the PacificNW during summer sunlight operations. You operating in the gulf will need to be careful with this limitation.

I use a tablet and a phone while cruising. I also use my laptop inside on my nav station. All this is backed up with charts and a compass, actually a couple of compasses.

Enjoy the journey.
I had my first incident of overheating with my IPAD last week. Frustrating for sure but I was able to solve it by placing a wet rag over the screen for a couple minutes. Definitely a weakness but overcome able.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I had my first incident of overheating with my IPAD last week. Frustrating for sure but I was able to solve it by placing a wet rag over the screen for a couple minutes. Definitely a weakness but overcome able.
Yes, a good idea to keep all phones and tablets shaded under a bimini or dodger.

Dec 1, 2020
CAL 27 Illahee / Brownsville WA
I'm trying to use my iPhone 6 for "light" navigation while sailing my small Cal. I find the usability in the sun is nearly impossible. There have been comments about the "nits" values of various units and the newer Samsung and iPhone's (12) claim 1200+ nits.

I would like to know what anyone that is using an iPhone or Android phone thinks of their screen brightness in direct sunlight. If you feel it's great, good (or at least usable) please share the phone model with me.

I have been using C-Map mostly since I purchased the AIS feed for a trip last December, but there are so many choices it's hard to determine if CE, Navionics, Aqua Map, Argo Nav or ?? should be used instead, but regardless app, if you can't see it in direct sunlight it's a non-starter for me. BTW, if anyone is interested in free AIS you should check out IQNautics to show you the vessels in your area.

Thanks for any input you have to share.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Rick. Direct sun washed out my iPhone 6s. The 11 is better. Nits do matter. A little shade helps be it cabin or hiding under a towel.

1200 seems to be a limit on a lot of displays.
The iPad gives you more Real estate to see the finer details on the maps. The iPhones are just too small to get the details.

I find when sailing new waters that the charts help when looking for the rocks and cables to avoid when anchoring. I print charts of specific areas from the free resources on the internet. The iPhone can get you from point A to point B. The chart can get you into and out of that special anchorage.

Dec 28, 2015
I don’t have any visibility with my IPhone 11pro Max but I don’t use it as a primary because it’s to small. When needing navigation in the Salish Sea, I don’t want to miss anything. I use a IPad and have only had issues with overheating.

Nov 6, 2019
Marshall 15 Catboat Lafayette, LA
Waiting for this ------> Apple coming out with a new I-Pad mini (9" screen) this fall --- gonna wait for it before making a decision. I think it's gonna be worth waiting for.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I would like to know what anyone that is using an iPhone or Android phone thinks of their screen brightness in direct sunlight. If you feel it's great, good (or at least usable) please share the phone model with me.
My Samsung Galaxy S10 works in direct sunlight. I sometimes use it beside the chart plotter and compare Navionics to C-Map. The screen resolution is much better on the the S10 which helps sometimes.

Dec 8, 2020
Hunter 33 Gloucester Point, VA
Does anyone have issues with Navionics (Boating app) active tracking - specifically speed (kts) measurement? I frequently (mostly) find it reads 0.0 but will occasionally blip and show actual speed for a few seconds, before all too quickly returning back to 0.0. I find my tracks are recorded otherwise, but distance traveled is not calculated correctly at all. I’m using Navionics on an iPad Pro (with cellular/GPS chip), but have also tried it on my iPhone 11 with the same issue (both running iOS 14.8 and now 15.0). To further test, I’ve pulled down the “Waterspeed” app which records perfectly on all my iOS devices, including my Apple Watch! So, this leads me to conclude this is a bug in Navionics. Anyone else have similar experience?
PNG image.png

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Does anyone have issues with Navionics (Boating app) active tracking - specifically speed (kts) measurement? ...
We've used Navionics quite a lot, and I haven't ever seen that problem (over the years, we've used a 2012 iPad, an original iPad Air, and currently a 2016 iPad Pro). Hope you can find a solution.

Jun 14, 2010
@Two Sails I suspect the app’s been disallowed from using your location. Is your device managed by corporate Mobile Device Mgt settings?
Check this: In the iOS Home Screen go into Settings, Boating, Location, then select While Using The App, then select Precise Location

Dec 8, 2020
@Two Sails I suspect the app’s been disallowed from using your location. Is your device managed by corporate Mobile Device Mgt settings?
Check this: In the iOS Home Screen go into Settings, Boating, Location, then select While Using The App, then select Precise Location
Boating is indeed set to Precise Location in my Location / Privacy settings. No management profiles on the device at all - it is a personal device. My iPhone 11 does indeed have a management profile, but none-the-less, I am still able to manage the location settings and had configured it as above as well.

Jun 14, 2010
@Two Sails IDK what could be causing this - especially since other apps are picking up GPS info. I'd check with Navionics support forums and contact the company support. If not, try removing the Navionics app and all it's data. then reinstall from the app store.

Dec 28, 2015
Does it do with both when off the boat? Also make sure appropriate updates are in place

Dec 8, 2020
So off the boat, it seems more accurate for sure. I need to do some more testing, but if I forget to “stop” my track and jump in the car, the speed measurement starts to record far more accurately. So couple additional things I have noticed:
1. Higher speeds (like the car) are more accurate. On the sailboat, going below 4kts say in light winds - it almost always stops recording.
2. The area I sail in is the mouth of the lower York river, south Chesapeake Bay. The area right outside the marina is a coast guard station and just up river is a naval station. I’m wondering if there is any type of disruption of signal given the sensitivity of these areas. Again though, my track is recorded, so it tells me my coordinates are updating and my watch and other speed apps work perfectly.