Recharging the batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stuart Gordon

My house battery seems to lose its charge very quickly - after 1 hour of sailing. The only electronics running are the VHF, depth sounder and ST 4000 autopilot. I am wondering if the problem could be with my batter charger. Must the switch be set to ALL to charge battery 1 and 2? If is set to OFF will it charge either battery? Any advice on trouble shooting the source of this problem would be appreciated. Stuart Gordon Sea Change, C-28, #630 Sgordon404@aol.com

L

Larry W.

Dead Battery

Stuart; On a very simple system, the switch should be set to ALL when the engine is running, then switched to either 1 or 2 when you're under sail or anchored. If set to OFF, neither of the batteries is being charged, and no DC equipment should work, either. An autopilot working hard will draw a lot of current, but it shouldn't kill a healthy battery in one hour. You might have a short or some piece of equipment running you're not aware of. You will need a digital voltmeter and an ammeter, and know how to use them,to monitor battery charge/condition. The learning curve can be steep, but it's worth it to know what is going on.

T

Tim Leighton

TIME TO BUY NEW BATTERIES

Stuart: First of all let me emphasize a very important point. NEVER, EVER run your engine with the battery selector in the "OFF" position. I'm not a engineer, but know that doing so will likely fry all sorts of important stuff like your voltage regulator, leaving you with ZERO electrical power! OUCH!! Also, it shouldn't mean any difference where the switch is when you are charging your batteries dockside. The switch simply tells what power source the house systems use underway. Second, if your battery(s) won't provide amps for more than an hour (assume you've charged them fully at the dock), you likely need new batteries. Since battery power is so vital for operation of our boats, I've always replaced mine after 3-4 years of use - even if they appear OK. Even good quality marine deep cycle batteries are not all that expensive and having a good set onboard, supported by a well maintained charging system is awfully good "insurance." I'd be interested in learing more about your problem here. Trust me, nothing you've experienced hasn't been seen at one time or another on TIDE! Send me an e-mail at TIDETIM@AOL.COM if you want. Tim L.

Status
Not open for further replies.