Rebuilding Traveler Parts

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I am frugal.. ok maybe cheap.. kinda..
The sheaves on my traveler are brittle now because of UV attack.. I started poking around and found that the end fittings and car would end up being $700-$800.. not a good option.. I was quoted $12 each ! for the pulleys.. amazing for a little plastic wheel ! so with 6 of 'em to change, I went on hunt and found a suitable wheel at Annapolis Performance Sailing for $4.. $24 instead of $72 instead of $700+.. I have to bore the wheel center but that really is not a problem. Keeper pin was relatively easdy to drill out .. I replaced it with a stainless screw that I was able to use as a rivet, like the original pin. I was surprised to find the lower bushing welded to the slider plate.. but other than that, no surprises.. Will post more as the job progresses.
. IMG_0616.JPG IMG_0622.JPG

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Kewl pics.... I'm thinking of building a removable T-track traveler for my H26 and would love to see more of your repair pics as you get along.

r

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Annapolis Performance Sailing (APS) is a resource for sailboat parts, fixes, and expertise. They have a great website and owner Kyle Gross, hosts the APS Advisor video series - check it out.

Nov 6, 2006
OK.. I did find a surprise.. I assumed (!) that all the sheaves (pulley wheels) on the traveler would be the same.. Ahhh not so grasshopper.. The 2 wheels on the car are bored for a half inch axle instead of the 3/8" of the other 4 on the end pieces.. The half inch axle bushings are welded on the car so they can't easily be made 3/8.. The bad part is that the new wheels for the end pieces cannot be bored to a half inch because the hubs are thinner.. rats.. I ended up re-using the old traveler sheaves since they were not as UV damaged as the ones on the ends.. The good thing is that the car sheaves can be easily changed (not riveted as are the end pieces) once I find or make new ones ..
IMG_0638.JPG

Nov 6, 2006
All done.. to summarize, 4 of the sheaves for the end pieces are 1 7/16" (or 1 1/2) OD by 3/8" axle bore, by 1/2" wide .. The two for the traveler car are 1 7/16" by 1/2" axle bore by 1/2 inch wide. This is the original 1 1/4" Schaefer traveler that was on the boat when I bought it. They no longer make that size track and don't support the parts much.. Rig Rite has some piece/parts for it..
IMG_0639.JPG

Last edited: