Rebuild of my Catalina 30's Diesel

shazam

Mar 18, 2013
Catalina 30 Dallas Corinthian Yacht Club
......thus begins the process of the removal and rebuild of my Universal Diesel on my '83 Catalina 30.
I've posted elsewhere on this forum that I was experiences problems on my Universal diesel, model 5411 (see http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/removal-of-engine.179515/). It runs...but symptoms that convinced me to rebuild included: no compression....can only do idle speeds in gear.....can't kill engine with reverse throttle... I believe most of the problems were caused by a partial flooding....and neglect.
I intend to post progress on this thread. Contrary to the Marina mechanics' warnings that a 'Re-powering' was due, too many times I've received advise that ....short of catastrophic block failure.... most diesel 'CAN' be rebuilt. And, I'm going to try it!
1st step was the removal of the island galley cabinetry over the engine. Most of that work came easy...except removing it from underneath the shelving above the stove/oven. See pic #1. The galley top was somewhat swollen from too much moister (probably from leaking port lights above).
Now, removal is next step. I'll let you know as things go.
Emmett aka shazam

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Just in case you haven't read this before, get your parts at a Kubota shop, not Universal. You'll pay 1/10th to 1/4 the price. You need parts for your Z500 engine in your B5100 garden tractor. Same exact parts.

shazam

Mar 18, 2013
Does "...get your parts at a Kubota shop..." mean a local shop, or other source via internet? ebay?
And, can anyone comment on whether or not the engine mounts should be changed....as SOP?

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Local or online, just search by tractor model number. The only "marine" parts are the raw water pump and exhaust manifold, and you probably don't need to replace those.
If the mounts are original, they're probably due for replacement. Of the rubber looks degraded definatly change them.

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
Another thing with the mounts is the attachment to the the engine stringers. The wood inside the stringers disintegrates and the engine mount bolts wont tighten. Epoxy or some other method will need to be done.

shazam

Mar 18, 2013
Temp....in N Dallas area is going to be about 96 today. So, early today, working in the (relatively) cool of the AM, we started the process of disconnecting wires, hoses, mounts, etc. It was still hot!
We're still in a flood condition in Lake Lewisville, so we have to wait until the levels go down, before we can drag the boat over to the club Jib Crane.....for lifting the motor out. This may take a week or 2.....so, progress will be shut down until then. I'll have to find something else to work on.
Attached pic shows the galley cabinet removed.....giving us great access to the engine.
Emmett aka shazam

Attachments

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Fortunately that engine only weighs 245# so it won't be that hard to lift. Last one I did was about 650#. Won't be doing that again!

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
While you are waiting, and you have the galley cabinet removed, now might be a great time for light sanding and re-varnish of all your interior teak!

Once that motor is out, Interlux Bilge-Coat is a great paint (very durable) for freshening up that engine space. If you can swing it, look into to some sound damping insulation panels to dampen the noise (not sure if there was any in there already).

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Has anybody installed sound deadening in a C-30? I've looked and there's not much room. I've got a friend (next-door neighbor too) that is the #1 guy in so-cal for installing sound insulation, but I don't see any room.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
I put sound insulation ( bought at WM and Defender ) on the engine compartment of my C-30. It did wonders. I'll try to post some photos if I can.

shazam

Mar 18, 2013
I intend to install sound deadening too.
Emmett

shazam

Mar 18, 2013
While I'm still waiting for Lake Lewisville (N of Dallas) to recede (it's been flooded since about Jun 1st) and move the boat closer to shore, so I can access the club's Jib Crane to lift the motor up and out of the boat....I'm doing other jobs/task.
One item I believe is necessary is the installation of a Fuel Filter/Water Separator. Moisture i.e. condensation is my primary goal, due to the high humidity here. Diesels don't like moisture. My choice is Parker/Racor, part R23107-02 (2 microns). I choose this one because it looks so simple to remove/replace. It does seem huge though. I will be challenged to find an appropriate location to install it. Attached is a pic of this filter.
Emmett aka shazam

Attachments

shazam

Mar 18, 2013
Kimelmore.........what is that WM product you used?
Emmett aka shazam

Nov 23, 2015
Catalina 30 Stockton Missouri
Emmett
I too am in the process of re-powering my Catalina 30. I have decided to use a re-built M5414 (to replace the old M5411) from Schooner Bay Marine. I have removed the galley and I am awaiting the new motor. Thanks for the info on the Parker/Racor, part R23107-02 filter. Good idea. I will be looking into that.

shazam

Mar 18, 2013
Lifting out the motor.JPG
Tranny & flange 2.JPG
After MUCH problems, I've successfully removed the engine.
However, the biggest problem was removing the shaft (Propeller) attachment to the rear of the tranny. There's 2 'pinch' bolts securing the shaft to the tranny flange. They were (and still are) frozen/rusted to the prop shaft attachment.
I first removed the motor from the bell housing...with a few of my friends. We used the club's Jib Crane....a piece of cake. I had to leave the bell housing & tranny to work on removing those pinch bolts. I tried soaking it w/ WD40 & other penetrating oils....no luck. I tried heat....no luck. I tried drilling holes and tried 'easy-outs'.... no luck. I drilled out the bolts...still no luck. I did this for almost a week.
Today, I cut out the bolts between the shaft attachment & the tranny flange w/ a saws-all & Drimel cutting wheel....that worked.
I still have to go back another day....or two... to try some more to remove the prop shaft attachment.
Emmett aka shazam

Nov 23, 2015
Catalina 30 Stockton Missouri
Emmett
The repower on my 1983 C-30 is progressing with fits and starts as well. It took about 6 weeks for us to get the rebuilt motor (M5414) from Schooner Bay Marine. It took two weeks after they charged me. Now I am at the mercy of our local marine service center. The motor arrived on July 12th, I still do not have word on the progress on the removal and reinstalling of the new motor. I am sorry to hear of your issues regarding the rusted/frozen bolts on the trans. flange. Good idea to use the saws-all and Drimel. I share your feelings about the Catalina 30 and its worthiness to be restored. I do so look forward to hearing that you are back in the water and sailing this fine vessel.
Bud (sailor stuck on land as well)

shazam

Mar 18, 2013
We have the motor apart and have inspected everything. It seems to be in relatively good condition....no water damage...some scoring on the cylinder calls. Our plan it to re-bore the cylinders (.5mm) and replace pistons & rings (.5mm), do a valve job, mill head, rebuild the hi-pressure injector pump, new glow plugs , bearings, (probably rebuild) injectors....and of course new gaskets.
My biggest problem is with the transmission, due to water infiltration. It has to be completely re-built....or replaced with either a used, rebuilt or new tranny! This could get expensive. Any one out there know where I can find a transmission? I need a Hurth W-50. I will post a new Posting elsewhere asking for help finding a replacement tranny.

Attachments