Ready. Set. Whoa!

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I had let it go all winter because I figured all I need to do is slide the disk a bit and that would tighten it up. The first picture shows what it looked like -- you can see the tell-tale line made by the carbon-water spray that was being thrown from the disk interface to the carbon facing.
I've heard it said that the set screws should only be set once. If you need to adjust the position, it is necessary to get new screws. I assume that with the new disc, you got new screws. I've wondered where you can get them.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I do use fine sand paper every so often maybe once a year and so far all’s good and can get new
set screws from PYI.
Nick

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Are you missing a ground wire somewhere? Should be able to prevent that.
The shaft is isolated from common-ground by design (a Volvo-Penta design philosophy "feature"), and the stainless disk is isolated from the shaft because it rides on rubber o-rings which you can see in the photos. It's a bronze shaft log, carbon bellows interface, and stainless. The electrolysis effect between stainless and bronze is pretty well known. I'm not sure how the carbon plays into it, if at all. ???

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Miss Hadley was in the water, the engine was prepped last fall, I had fuel in the tanks, Sails on the rig and a new cockpit control panel (thanks to the wizard @LeslieTroyer ) so took a 165nm trip to the Roche Harbor Rendezvous of the Catalina Clan.

Everything operated as normal. Mrs Wind showed up and gave us a couple of nice sail days. We ate, drank and were merry.

Back to the boat this weekend for a little cleaning and then crew for @Hayden Watson on his Catalina 30 as we try to round Whidbey Island before the rest of the boats.

Ain't spring great.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Boat had been at the marina for a few weeks but now that Md. law requires rain every Sunday we have had 1 ride so far ( Sat., 2 days ago). Good wind,cloudy, empty river, great season starter!

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
:( my status report is sad. I did get a few layers of barrier coat on my CB. It needs a few more.
:) I also increased the size of our fleet with a Windmill woody. View attachment 164746 She is in excellent shape for a free used boat and I am expecting to have her sail ready this week. :dancing:.
I also have a couple of big commissions for artwork that will interfere with all of this along with new queens arriving for four additional bee hives.View attachment 164747 Electric fence that's down and chicken fencing with big holes in it and one where a bear has leveled it. No birds lost to the bear. He just wanted their grain.

Progress is slow but advances are being made.

-Will (Dragonfly)
You have a bear in your back yard and bee hives as a hobby, that ought to work for a week. Maybe the snow will cover the scent.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
<There is so much to do this time of the year.>
Absolutely. My yard just started to dry out enough to walk on it so we could stack 4 cords of firewood. Now, it's on to stripping the deck so we can remove it to replace a ledger board & exterior sheathing all because some moron didn't properly flash it:banghead:

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Need to have the boat out of the yard and in the water by Saturday.
I did some glass work on my rudder and need to do a bit of sanding and then paint. Right now I'm in the Chicago area for the week, so, as usual, work is interfering with my hobbies. I will be back home on Friday, and need to bottom paint, mount the outboard and splash. I'm hoping (weather permitting) I can get the paint done before sundown and mount the outboard and drop her in Saturday morning.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I haven't even cut the shrink wrap off yet.
Same here. Cold, rain, April snowstorms and I was out of town about the only good weekend in April, so I’m way behind....and launching on May 22. Going to be tight, but I’ll make it as long as I don’t find any surprises. Haven’t seen anything of concern yet. Several intended but not launch critical spring projects will have to wait.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Boat has been in for two weeks now. Spent the first week living on her and doing chores. Loading her up, restocking, doing some commissioning. Found two unanticipated maintenance items. Discovered the water heater was leaking. More concerning, discovered bilge 75% full and bilge pump silent. I could run bilge manually so figured it was the float and so it was. The water heater was an easy fix, albeit painful due to my arthritis and limited working space. Slip neighbor helped with it as his hands are smaller and less arthritic. I found a fitting that was leaking at the bottom of the hot water tank. As I was looking at it and trying to figure out how I could get in there to tighten it, I noticed a small rubber gasket laying right under it! Due to my time limits last fall, I had the yard drain and winterize the heater. Yup, they missed that little gasket!
We were just there Apr. 12-13, stayed in the Hilton overlooking the harbour. Nice area. Had lunch in the Reefpoint.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Looks like I now will not get to my boat until after Memorial Day weekend.
(My significant other sold her house and the overzealous neighborhood association compliance nazi won’t sign off until the pressure treated perimeter fence is cleaned of its greenish tint which she insists is algae. So guess who gets to clean it. The stupid fence looks 10 times better than many of the other fences in the neighborhood. Incidentally, the buyer already mentioned that he was probably going to remove a portion of the fence anyway).

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Ha! Escape is still shrink wrapped - and it snowed in Maine today.....

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
We keep Belle-Vie ready to go at a moments notice. Owner redid hull last year, which will protect her for several years. Both engines serviced by the owner last winter, good for the season. Thirty gallons of fresh fuel and biocide added during our Spring Cruise to top off the tank. Enough food on board to last for years. Both water tanks full and a new aft head to holding tank discharge hose. Oh, and defrosted the reefer.

Some of you have watched my Spring Cruise - 2019 DVD. Me, myself and I had a great time even though a planned rendezvous fell apart due to gale force winds. For those of you who missed it, watch here:

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My marina opened April 1, but could not put me in because they couldn’t find the slings for the Travel Lift. Found them and I splashed on April 2. Still one of only a few sailboats in the marina.

I had to redo plumbing hoses for my head (a real pain in the $@&@(). Decided to rebuild the PHII while I was at it. Reinstalled the toilet pump tonight, and took Tally Ho out for a shot little shake down sail.

All went well and it was great to be out on the water again!

Greg

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Following a busy week of boat work in the barn we planned to pull our unnamed Celebrity to New York for finishing and a planned sail in Seneca Lake just after Mothers' Day. Sunday morning (May 5th) we packed the car and the boat with all the plants Eileen wanted to put in the yard in NY, all the yet-to-be-installed parts of the boat, the new weed-whacker, and all food plus clothes for two weeks. Car and boat were stuffed! Oh, did I mention it was raining while we loaded?

The boat trailer was sporting new tires and wheels plus new and freshly packed wheel bearings. However, I was not able to install the new Bearing Buddies because they would not fit easily onto the old hubs. No Problemo…..I tapped in the old dust covers for the four hour drive and "figgered" I would deal with the Bearing Buddies in NY.

Left the driveway at 8:45 AM with "a song in our hearts and a smile on our lips". After driving about 5 miles I patted my left upper thigh. NO WALLET in the usual pocket! Small problem. Turned around and drove home. After retrieving the missing wallet I glanced at the trailer wheels as I stepped off the front porch. To my horror there were no longer any dust caps on the hubs! No Problemo….the local Exxon station is just 2 miles out the road, and I could get new dust covers there. When I scanned the shelves (I mean walked around the aisles for five minutes) I found that the gas station stocked only 1 dust cap. A friendly worker at the station came out to look at the trailer with me and even held an umbrella while I tapped in the one new dust cover. Again, No Problemo…….We would just drive to the newly opened auto parts store about 5 miles farther in the rain along our planned route.

I parked in the lot in front of the auto parts store and ran inside through the increasingly annoying rain. Unfortunately, this fully stocked store did not carry ANY dust covers! The manager did take pitty on the now drenched rat that had entered his store. He let me "try" the Bearing Buddies he had in stock, but neither of the two sizes fit my hubs. He suggested driving to Tractor Supply in a nearby town to check on dust caps there. I thanked him for his kindness, but turned the car, boat, and PITA trailer toward home.

With the boat and trailer safely in the barn we rearranged some of the stuff that was to make the trip to NY and we headed out of the driveway again at 12:30 PM. Of course, the aforementioned smile and song were no longer in evidence!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Ah, ugh:banghead:
Sounds waaaaay too familiar.
Rain, bears, bee meeting, new farmers market. Unpacking, repacking, reunpacking and rerepacking our car. It's even snowed and rained. I can't find what my electric fence has grounded out. Lost two chickens and 5 turkeys. Been working at this from 7am to 11pm since I got home. None of it related to sailing.

-Will (Dragonfly)