re-powering with an outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ron F.

Has anyone converted a C27 from the atomic four inboard to and outboard? Just considering all my options. Thanks.

T

Tom Monroe

archives

Lots of people have done it, since a reconditioned A4, installed, is pretty expensive. Run an archive search ... I've seen this discussed many times. My 2 cents ... if you're a lake sailer, go with the OB. My 1986 C27 is powered quite nicely with a honda 9.9 on a bracket on the transom. Fine for lake use, get the extra long shaft to avoid cavitating when you hobby horse. Wouldn't go that direction for coastal sailing. There, I like an inboard. LOTS less expensive than repowering with a used A4. If you do it, be sure to build up or reinforce the transom, since the layup probably wasn't spec'd thinking of a 100 pound OB waving around back there. And be sure the bracket is rated for both the weight AND the torque of the OB. Also, thos ebrackets lower the motor with running, and lift it for sailing. The lifting part is a pain, trying to squeeze through the pushpit, etc. So get a small multi-part tackel, like a small boat vang, and connect it between the top rail of the pushpit and the OB's lifting handle. Then you can use the tackel to raise the OB while sitting comfortably in the cockpit. Tom Monroe Carlyle Lake

H

Howard

Transom Needs Reinforcement

I have just finished adding an outboard bracket & motor to my 1973 Catalina 22. The best bracket to get is the Garelick offshore Heavy Duty bracket with 15" of travel. I have an 8 hp 4cyl. honda mounted. I built up the inside of the transom with app. 1 1/2" of plywood. The engine weighs about 120, and the mount about 30. The transom seemed fine when I put the engine on the mount, but it started to flex when I lowered it into the water. I need to go back and figure out how to reinforce the bottom of the transom so the flexing will stop. Other than that , the outboard works great. Just make sure you get an outboard with a remote setup for controling the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.