Re-powering '86 O'Day 28 with a Yanmar 2YM15?

DJR

Oct 23, 2018
O'Day 28 Chester Marina
Joyfully purchased an ODay28, but it has been in dry dock for three years.
According to boatyard legend, the Westerbeke 13 (hp) had been running but not well (clank, clank, clank), which prompts thoughts about a top-end rebuild. I've pulled the engine from the boat and await a start-up test in the shop.

In the meantime, I'm wondering, if the rebuild is too expensive, can I re-power with a Yanmar 2YM15? Its dimensions seem compatible, with engine mount centers matching almost exactly. Having taken the Westerbeke out, I can attest to the tight quarters, so this engine seems like a good choice in terms of dimensions. Is there anything else I should be thinking about? I mean, do the drives turn in the same direction? Is there an issue with shaft angles? What other issues should I be aware of?

As a new owner, I'm trying my best to educate my self, so anything anyone can add here would be gratefully entertained.

Attachments

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I've seen threads here in the past about repowering 28's and Beta engines usually come up as an option, so you may want to look into them as well. I believe they are close to drop-in replacements for Universal diesels which are in many of the 28's; not sure how they compare to the Westerbeake, or how the 2YM15 compares to either.

DJR

Oct 23, 2018
O'Day 28 Chester Marina
Thanks, David. You've put me on to another possibility. In my area, those engines seem to be sold and serviced by:

Sound Marine Diesel LLC
127 Walsh Ave
Newington, CT 06111
(860) 666 2184

Noank Village Boatyard
38 Bayside Avenue
Noank, CT 06340
(860) 536 1770

Will check it out. Beta seems to target repowering, with helpful guides to make the right selection and flexible engine mounts. After pulling the Westerbeke, the dimensions to fit a repower begin the decision-making process, but there's so much more to think about.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
In the Beta ads I have seen, the engine they show looks a lot like my Universal M25XPB, which is based on the Kubota diesel. Since Westerbeke owns Universal, maybe your engine is indeed very similar to the Beta. Westerbeke used to be based in Avon, MA, not far from you. Not sure if they are still there.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Actually, Westerbeke did not move all that far, now located in Taunton, MA Industrial Park. Near the Norton line, and just off Rt. 495.