Raymarine ST4000+ Auto Pilot clutch pop out

Growl

Oct 11, 2020
Hunter 28 2 Alamitos Bay Marina
West marine didn’t have it, nor did my local hardware, bought the last can at Captains Locker!

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Should work... Again... Use with care... A little goes along way with both of the products. I'd use the Sailkote on the plastic parts. The T9 on the metal.

Nothing contacts the belt or the surfaces that contact the belt.

Growl

Oct 11, 2020
Should I use the T 9 on the ball bearings?
I guess I can saturate a Q-tip and wipe it on the ball bearings looks like it would be pretty easy to get some on the belt

Oct 22, 2014
I removed the belt. Put a drop on one bearing. Then I rotated the drive wheel a few times to spread that drop on all the bearings. It is a careful function to avoid the lube getting to the belt.

Perhaps its a little OCD about the belt. Just know how a little excess lube can create slippage which is what needs to be avoided.

Oct 22, 2014
Those cracks could explain the jumpy behavior that popped the clutch arm.

Your going to be an AutoHelm ninja master when you get the unit back together, and working.

Oct 22, 2014
That one looks pretty much like mine. No teeth missing. No obvious loose threads or tears.

Not sure it is needed. But always nice to have a spare.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I may have a couple of the belts if you need/want one. PM me your address.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Ok!
sounds good,
I will take it apart! Stand by.
G
Do go easy when taking it apart. Mine was many years old and when taken apart bits and pieces of the boss (standing parts where screw is tighten on) broke. I had to use JB Weld to glue the broken pieces back. It still work great 3-4 years after repair.

Ken Y

Growl

Oct 11, 2020
I ordered bosses or eccentrics, I am not re installing the cracked ones. am waiting for mailman. I guess if that doesn’t work I’ll buy a whole new AP

Growl

Oct 11, 2020
Ok, Mailman arrived with one eccentric. I guess I will just run the cracked ones, Since they’re already installed and squeaky clean!
Now that my wheel alignment is correct please see previous post I’m ready to reinstall auto pilot.

Oct 22, 2014
Slap it together. Stick it on the boat and fire her up. Then you’ll know if all the pieces are reinstalled. :biggrin:

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
If this doesn’t work I’ll buy me a monkey
I don’t know about the monkey, but a new EV100 wheel pilot sells for approximately $1300. Check out the Memorial Day sales at Defender. Upgraded computer, compass, & drive motor; however, the wheel unit is same as the old ST4000. Hopefully your overhaul is successful. Monkeys aren’t cheap either!

Growl

Oct 11, 2020
Nothing cheap no more, plus the wheel brake is missing on the pedestal I bought me a new one of those from Edson waiting in the mail the two conductor auto pilot cable they decided to run through the hole meant for the wheel brake. I guess I’ll just drill another hole for the AP? Thoughts?

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I guess I’ll just drill another hole for the AP? Thoughts?
Should not be a problem. Fortunately, the PO drilled a new hole back when my boat had a wheel pilot. I've got a plastic button covering the hole now that I've installed a type 1 linear drive.