Raymarine ST4000+ Auto Pilot clutch pop out

Growl

Oct 11, 2020
Hunter 28 2 Alamitos Bay Marina
Hi,
We were sailing in Orange County Ca. Saturday, Alamitos Bay to be exact. We spotted a small whale! As the whale swam alongside us my auto pilot clutch popped out and undid itself and started going hard to starboard towards the whale! And probably wouldn’t of stopped until it hit the stop if I hadn’t hit standby! Even with the clutch disengaged the wheel turned hard Starboard, Has anyone else experienced this? Thank you for your time. Belt too tight/loose? Greg

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
i don't even have that autopilot but am aware of the multiple failures of that clutch. WADR, you could do little research and homework on it, because its failures have been all over boating forums on the internet for decades. Really.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have the older (black) wheel pilot. Mine AP did that a few times. I found that disassembling the drive unit (the wheel part), cleaning the inside clutch mechanism, and putting it back together made all the difference.

I can almost tell when it needs to be cleaned because the clutch handle starts lifting when the AP is turning the wheel back and forth.

Greg

Growl

Oct 11, 2020
Greg,
Do you actually have to take the wheel off?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Greg,
Yes, you will have to remove the ship’s wheel to disassemble the AP wheel. Depending on the amount of wear/stretch in the belt and the adjustment available on the wheel drive, adjustment may be possible or a new belt may be necessary.

Growl

Oct 11, 2020
So, I need a wheel puller, but the shaft is threaded?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Greg.
Know exactly what you are experiencing.
How old is the AP?

There are several failure points that can cause the event.
  • Bad Clutch arm
  • Bad tension on the drive belt
  • Loose screws on the eccentric bearings
  • broken drive wheel
  • contamination (dirt and grime) in the AP wheel
In order to examine and fix or send in for warranty, you are going to need to remove the wheel and then AP Wheel from the helm.
Some of my failure experiences:
C66712D7-2500-4518-A326-EBCCD22819F8.jpeg 35D7CAFB-D34A-443D-9462-D5AA13ABA2D9_1_201_a.jpeg 5E9FB7A7-14B8-4336-9676-B910924DC5B4_1_201_a.jpeg E8BA568C-67DD-43CD-B0B1-693859C33FFD_1_201_a.jpeg

It is possible to isolate the problem if out of warranty and come up with a fix.

Attachments

Growl

Oct 11, 2020
Don’t know, Identical to yours, I’ve actually already ordered the clutch repair kit! cool I like to take things apart, but how do I get the wheel off? Lol

Growl

Oct 11, 2020
I would also like to re route the comm cable,
It looks like they unscrewed the wheel brake and pushed the cable in the threaded hole!
Apparently they threw away the knob/screw for the brake does anybody know where to get one?

Jan 7, 2011
Greg,
I do, then I pop the wheel drive cover off to expose the clutch and drive belt.
For me, that is easier than removing the drive unit off the wheel (And I think I would still have to remove the wheel to get to the cap screws that hold the drive to the wheel).

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Don’t know, Identical to yours, I’ve actually already ordered the clutch repair kit! cool I like to take things apart, but how do I get the wheel off? Lol
On my Edson pedestal, I just take the big nut off, and slide the wheel off the shaft. On mine, the shaft has a key, so be careful not to lose that.

If the wheel has been on there for a long time, it might take a little work…pushing, pulling, jiggling, to work the wheel off the shaft. Mine was hard to get off the first time. Now, I keep it lubricated, remove it each fall for winter layup and no issues getting it on or off.

Greg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
remove it each fall
I remove mine each time I anchor or moor as it's so much easier to move around the cockpit without it blocking the lazarette and swim ladder! I stand it on the deck between the bimini frame and lifeline, and secure it with a short piece of line.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Hi,
We were sailing in Orange County Ca. Saturday, Alamitos Bay to be exact. We spotted a small whale! As the whale swam alongside us my auto pilot clutch popped out and undid itself and started going hard to starboard towards the whale! And probably wouldn’t of stopped until it hit the stop if I hadn’t hit standby! Even with the clutch disengaged the wheel turned hard Starboard, Has anyone else experienced this? Thank you for your time. Belt too tight/loose? Greg
I screwed around with mine for years, got new belts, adjusted the eccentric mounting the tensioner, and so on. After a while I just got a short piece of line to tie the lever down when the autopilot was engaged.

I have often lamented that no one, no third party, has ventured to build a metal, reliable, robust, and perhaps even electric-clutch wheel drive unit to join with Raymarine and other pilots. Why not? Why hasn't Edson done this, incorporating it into their pedestals, or perhaps Lewmar? Or some new guy? Ah, perhaps a retirement business for me!

Growl

Oct 11, 2020
Now that I have the wheel off
I understand, all kinds of room after wheel removal! How do you open the auto pilot wheel?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Now that I have the wheel off
I understand, all kinds of room after wheel removal! How do you open the auto pilot wheel?
Un-snap the halves, as I recall. Don't go by me, my memory may be failing, but that's what I recall, and it was quite anxiety-provoking.

Jan 7, 2011
Yes, a large screw driver, pry tool or scraper should help you separate the 2 halves. Once you get it started, you should be able to pull them apart.

There are NO ball bearings to fall out my version, but mine is older than yours. Open it carefully over a blanket or something in case anything falls out.

On my older version, there are 6 or so “wheels” inside that support the ring and allow it to move pretty easily. I don’t know if they changed that in later models.

Greg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Yer kill in’ me….
I'm glad you are enjoying this. :)

Honestly, I couldn't wait to get a below-decks pilot, but they are enormously more expensive than a wheel pilot. A wheel pilot makes pilots accessible to many more sailors. But, the Raymarine thing, which started live as the Autohelm thing, was from a British company that thought plastic was "the thing," or maybe it was just the era.

Growl

Oct 11, 2020
Hey, wow, almost fell open just three adjoining tabs. Everything appears fine no pieces are broken should I just clean it out and replace it?