Raymarine EV100 Rudder Reference install

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Go ahead and spend some time looking at it. You'll end up where I did a few years ago. I limited the hard over stops and it has not fallen apart since then. Many times fore that, though.
Exactly correct!
Or move the ball closer to the center of the steering quadrant. Put another way move the ball on the steering arm closer to the rudder post. This reduces the distance that the ball travels. You, OP, are overdriving the angle sensor.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...Or move the ball closer to the center of the steering quadrant. Put another way move the ball on the steering arm closer to the rudder post. This reduces the distance that the ball travels. You, OP, are overdriving the angle sensor.
I recall the arm-to-ball had to be a certain angle or greater- maybe 90 degrees? It is not as simple as you might think. If you sit and watch the movement you'll see it is basic geometry.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
AD05A02A-1B9B-47DE-B28C-B401896DEC49.jpegHere’s my setup. Appears that rod rubs on steering cable; however it doesn’t.
I really need to do what others have suggested; have someone turn the wheel and adjust or the rod or end stops as necessary. Turning the steering quad from below doesn’t get it.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Thanks to all! Turned out not to be gravity doing it's work. Thanks to the tips I got from here and the Raymarine Forum, I got myself down there with my AP remote and watched how it happened. It's because when turning the wheel to the starboard stop (quadrant turning to port stop), I didn't have enough room for the rudder sensor to extend, and it got pulled right out! (See attached video). i didn't have my cordless drill with me, so next trip out to the boat I'll move the sensor body about an inch and a half to port. That should take care of things.

Many thanks for the thoughts I got from you guys!

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Thanks to all! Turned out not to be gravity doing it's work. Thanks to the tips I got from here and the Raymarine Forum, I got myself down there with my AP remote and watched how it happened. It's because when turning the wheel to the starboard stop (quadrant turning to port stop), I didn't have enough room for the rudder sensor to extend, and it got pulled right out! (See attached video). i didn't have my cordless drill with me, so next trip out to the boat I'll move the sensor body about an inch and a half to port. That should take care of things.

Many thanks for the thoughts I got from you guys!
response 21/22 describe what happens- You turn the wheel, which moves the quadrant, t quar gets turned frather than the ball joint can travel, and you ul it apart. That is why I had to out "stopps" so the quadrant only turns so far, not not so far as to pull the joint aparts. If you can do it some other way, more poewr to you, but i'm sure there is reason why Beneteau does this on most of their boats. Cloudi'es poic #8 shows hoe the one bumoer will stop the quad from going so far as to oull the joint apart. /// The autopilot has lines on the screen so you can see how far you have turned the wheel. I adjusted my quadrant bumpers so the wheel goes as far as it can wthout making the joint come apart- and that equates to the extreme line os wheel movement limitation. /// If you move the sensor body as you say, you are altering the grometry/distances that the designers came up with to make this all work.

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
Maybe I'm missing something but this is a simple geometry solution. The documentation with the sensor is quite clear.
I can't see Mikstr's install ever working properly. See attached sketch. As long as you maintain the parallel constraints and do not exceed the 60 degrees (Rudder stops may need to be increased) either side ( a total of 120 degrees) it will work.

Attachments

Dec 28, 2015
O'DAY 322 Bridgeport CT
response 21/22 describe what happens- You turn the wheel, which moves the quadrant, t quar gets turned frather than the ball joint can travel, and you ul it apart. That is why I had to out "stopps" so the quadrant only turns so far, not not so far as to pull the joint aparts. If you can do it some other way, more poewr to you, but i'm sure there is reason why Beneteau does this on most of their boats. Cloudi'es poic #8 shows hoe the one bumoer will stop the quad from going so far as to oull the joint apart. /// The autopilot has lines on the screen so you can see how far you have turned the wheel. I adjusted my quadrant bumpers so the wheel goes as far as it can wthout making the joint come apart- and that equates to the extreme line os wheel movement limitation. /// If you move the sensor body as you say, you are altering the grometry/distances that the designers came up with to make this all work.