Raymarine EV100 autopilot installation

Mar 27, 2016
Catalina 30 Hingham
Has anyone installed a raymarine ev100 autopilot in their boat? Where did you put the components? I have a Catalina 30

Oct 28, 2013
Catalina 30 1978 #980 Catalina 30 1978 #980 Mission beach, California
Yes I did just recently if you send me your email I can send you some pictures. Mounted the control head on the stainless steel railing of the pedestal. The other components when in the quarter berth in various locations. Just remember when you go to program it to have it in standby mode.

Sep 22, 2013
Catalina 30 NOB Norfolk W5CDR
Along the same line I, too, am planning on installing the same autopilot. My question is how did you mount the rudder position sensor, if you mounted one. My previous AP was many years old and essentially self-destructed hence the Raymarine replacement. Any pictures of the sensor mounting on a Mk1 Cat 30 ('84) would be appreciated. Still working on the STng backbone routing in anticipation of future needs. But that's another story.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
Along the same line I, too, am planning on installing the same autopilot. My question is how did you mount the rudder position sensor, if you mounted one. My previous AP was many years old and essentially self-destructed hence the Raymarine replacement. Any pictures of the sensor mounting on a Mk1 Cat 30 ('84) would be appreciated. Still working on the STng backbone routing in anticipation of future needs. But that's another story.
I have one on order and will post when I install.

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 30 MkI 1983 TRBS Westbrook, CT
I too am hoping to do this install soon. Any info would be very helpful (West Marine shows there is a $300 rebate the EV100)

Oct 28, 2013
There is no rudder positioning sensor, but I was told that they are a little more accurate with one which could be added to the unit but I do not have one on my install

I'll be down at the boat this afternoon and take some pictures.I'm not familiar with how to post pictures using a URL

Mar 10, 2015
Catalina 30 Moss Landing, CA
Be sure to install the pos. line 10 amp fuse included, and don't depend on the panel breaker which is probably rated much higher.

The original installer on my three year old boat we later found omitted this fuse, when after some 16,000 sea miles on our boat the little drive motor failed and the control head went dead. Being a somewhat prudent and paranoid mariner, I carried a spare motor, installed it, but the head never came back to life. I assume the motor shorted out and pulled too much current through the unprotected head.

Autohelm would only sell us a whole new $1000 wheelpilot unit then, but regardless, I was amazed at how well it handled the 37' FP cat., and it had done yeoman's duty for over three years of many miles.
Pete

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
Just finished the install on my 30. I put the control head on the pedestal using the instrument pod from Defender. (see link) I mounted the pod upside down so it didn't sit above the grab rail. I did this to keep it from being grabbed by somebody. I had to drill a hole in the pod for the wire. The arc at the top of grab rail is too sharp for the pod to fit perfectly but it is secure. Ran the spur down through the pedestal using a16 ft. black and white I ordered from Defender. The Pilot sits below the arc very well. The 16 ft cable runs under the quarter berth to the junction block just under the nav station. The ACU 100," aka brain" sits next to the junction block .The blue backbone runs from the junction block trough the wall of the battery box, under the battery box forward through the water tank locker into the hanging locker. I used a T and ran a white/black cable up to the forward top of the locker and mounted the sensor, AKA compass, up high out of the way. I used a compass app on my phone to calibrate the heading of the sensor by reading the Pilot, aka control head. Works well with everything out of the way.
What was/is frustrating is the lack of directions, written poorly and written for a previous model. Pain in the butt reading them

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|344|2028704|2028919&id=2397625

Jul 8, 2011
Catalina 30Mk III Oyster Bay
Hey Guts - I'm installing an EV 100 also on my Catalina 30 Mk II. I have an Autohelm ST 4000 now - do you know if I can use the existing wheel drive and motor? I'd appreciate getting some photos if you can send them along, I'll send my email by private posts. Thanks for any help you can give!

Oct 28, 2013
Just finished the install on my 30. I put the control head on the pedestal using the instrument pod from Defender. (see link) I mounted the pod upside down so it didn't sit above the grab rail. I did this to keep it from being grabbed by somebody. I had to drill a hole in the pod for the wire. The arc at the top of grab rail is too sharp for the pod to fit perfectly but it is secure. Ran the spur down through the pedestal using a16 ft. black and white I ordered from Defender. The Pilot sits below the arc very well. The 16 ft cable runs under the quarter berth to the junction block just under the nav station. The ACU 100," aka brain" sits next to the junction block .The blue backbone runs from the junction block trough the wall of the battery box, under the battery box forward through the water tank locker into the hanging locker. I used a T and ran a white/black cable up to the forward top of the locker and mounted the sensor, AKA compass, up high out of the way. I used a compass app on my phone to calibrate the heading of the sensor by reading the Pilot, aka control head. Works well with everything out of the way.
What was/is frustrating is the lack of directions, written poorly and written for a previous model. Pain in the butt reading them

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|344|2028704|2028919&id=2397625
That's the same pod I used, be careful they break easy that's why I put the hardware on mine to stiffen it up.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Hey Guts - I'm installing an EV 100 also on my Catalina 30 Mk II. I have an Autohelm ST 4000 now - do you know if I can use the existing wheel drive and motor? I'd appreciate getting some photos if you can send them along, I'll send my email by private posts. Thanks for any help you can give!
Yes you can. Among the discordant manuals they enclose the old st 4000 manual. I thought I had received a returned unit and sent it back.
Given the cost and product life, you would think they would invest in one new unified manual with a you tube video. As some component instructions are missing or scattered among the different manuals, plan on at least one call to product support.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
there manual is like hopscotch with a bunch of blind bull frogs ...no very intuitive at all.....reminds me of digging in the junk pile...rant over

Oct 28, 2013
I never got your email if you send it to me in a PM I will forward off the pictures that I sent to the other 2 requests

Oct 28, 2013
I tried converting JPEG's to URL with a photo bucket hope it works.

Oct 28, 2013
Where is your seatalk switch with all the cables?
If you look to the right of this picture you will see there's a fiberglass piece below the steering quadrant mechanism I have everything tucked in there but there's also the T that is outside that I can access for another backbone cable if needed.

The cable for the display unit runs through the pod and down the stainless steel (Or I should say inside the stainless steel tube) to to the quadrant area that's why put all the cables there.

Mar 27, 2016
Catalina 30 Hingham
Thanks to everyone's input and help I have everything put together and mounted. I have one more question well maybe only one. Where on the panel have people wired It?

Oct 28, 2013
My panel has a breaker that is labeled autopilot. Just don't forget your fuses