Raymarine Autohelm ST4000+ Motor Wire Connector

Jul 6, 2013
Hunter 336 Société Nautique de Genève
While troubleshooting error messages on our ST4000+, it turns out the wires connected to the wheel drive motor were hanging on by a few strands, and probably shorting out. I want to fix it but I don’t know how to attach wires to the two-pin connector that makes the link to the motor. Photos are attached. There are two hollow pins that are smaller in diameter than the 16 gauge blue and brown insulated wires that are used. The pins don’t come out and there isn’t any obvious way to reinsert wire strands. Does anybody know how to reattach the wires? Or is there some pre-connected assembly that needs to be purchased? Thanks!

Attachments

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
By the pic that almost looks like it's a push-in connector, that there's a barb holding the wire in the hole; that feature on the side of the leftmost pin in the second pic.

Jul 6, 2013
I see, but then how do you get the old wire strands out? Thanks.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
You would somehow lift or depress that feature to release the barb.

Jul 6, 2013
The space is very tight. Don’t see how I can get fingers or tools in there to manipulate the feature. On another forum, an owner with the same autopilot said the cables were factory welded inside the hollow pins.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Drill the wires out. Then put paste flux on the wires and solder them in the pins. Use a fine tipped Weller electronics soldering iron. Provide some support so the soldered wires don't break.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
The space is very tight. Don’t see how I can get fingers or tools in there to manipulate the feature. On another forum, an owner with the same autopilot said the cables were factory welded inside the hollow pins.
On second look, it looks like they may be crimped.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
I repaired the motor side connector years ago. I do remember having some trouble removing the old wire from the connectors, seems like they were crimped. I may have pushed/pull the pins out of the plastic, I cannot remember exactly how I did the repair.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
jviss is right. Just replace the connectors with the connectors of your choice. The original ones required a special extraction tool and the contacts aren't intended for re-use. As an alternative, you could check to see if Molex tools and contacts work, but I'd replace the connectors.

Ken

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The waterproof connector shown by jviss is very nice. It is a stand alone connector to be used when connecting loose wires.

The posters problem is the wire connector (female) shown fits into the motor fitting (male) on the AP.

@dkerphunter have you tried contacting Raymarine for a replacement plug?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
DK,
If there is a marine electronics sales & installation center in your locale, take the connector to them to see if they have a solution to repair or possibly substitute with a replacement plug. JVISS idea of replacing with a waterproof automotive plug is also a good idea if you cant repair your existing plug.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
On second look, it looks like they may be crimped.
I'm betting that there's a clamping set screw on the base of those pins. Push out the pins (if possible), release the clamp and poke out the broken strands.

Mar 12, 2011
Hunter 33.5 Fairport Harbor, OH
If you heat the pin with a fine electronic soldering iron as referenced above then use a "soldier sucker" like the ones that are used by anyone who repairs electronic modules you may be able to remove the old wire and soldier, provided they were not crimped into the pin to begin with.

Jul 6, 2013
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm increasingly convinced the connector isn't reusable with my skills. And I since noticed that there are two wires exposed on the motor side of the connector originally depicted in addition to the controller side problem. I am raising the white flag and having a marine electrician take it from here.