Raymarine Auto Pilot

ShawnL

Jul 29, 2020
Catalina 22 3603 Calumet Mi
I'm strongly considering getting a Raymarine St1000+ for my '22 this year. It looks like one of the previous owners had one (definitely different model), as there's a hole in the starboard hatch with a metal insert epoxied in and what looks like a power connector on the side of the hull just above it. I'm considering mounting the autopilot in the same place, or at least close to it. We don't really open that hatch when we're underway 99% of the time, and it'd save me from having to make a bracket from the sidewall for it.

Wondering if anyone else has mounted theirs this way, and if I'll need an extension for the tiller pilot. My boat is under a tarp in the backyard, but I'd have to strap on the snow shoes to get to it and dig out around it to be able to remove the tarp (snow is up well over the water-line). Trying to order what I need before the season starts so that once the weather finally cooperates I don't have to wait for shipping, etc. Thanks

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Attached are some articles and thread on the same subject that may be helpful. Might consider hiring a marine navigation/electronics guy to install and/or calibrate it.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Order the unit, read the instructions, go pull the tarp off the cockpit, mount the rudder and tiller, and try it out. You can then decide whether you need an extension for the pushrod or a bracket mounted on the tiller or perhaps nothing at all. You can't rush this stuff, by friend, you'll drive yourself crazy. I know, I have a drawer full of doodads I should not have ordered before actually setting it up...You can order the accessories on Amazon and have it in a couple of days. By the way, if you find you need a push rod extension, or a pedestal mounting bracket that screws out of the flange base, message me.:)

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
+1 to what Joe said. :)

We ended up mounting ours on the cockpit coaming, primarily because it's level from there to the top of the tiller.

Incidentally ... I was strongly advised at the time to invest the extra bucks in a ST2000 (by a guy here, who had had both). I advise the same. In my opinion, even the ST2000 is only just barely beefy enough, and still not quite as beefy as I'd like. In any kind of rough conditions, I still have to steer manually.

In any case, you will love having an autopilot. Last year I actually bought a spare ST2000, to keep on board in case the first one ever craps out when we're far from home. I don't ever want to be without it for long.

• Helpful
Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX

DSC02217.JPG

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I was strongly advised at the time to invest the extra bucks in a ST2000 (by a guy here, who had had both). I advise the same. In my opinion, even the ST2000 is only just barely beefy enough, and still not quite as beefy as I'd like.
I agree with Neil, buy the ST2000. IIRC, the internal gearing is improved, the plastic gears replaced with metal and faster response times. Plus overload protection when hitting max extension/retraction is improved.

I know, I have a drawer full of doodads I should not have ordered before actually setting it up.
Same here. :biggrin:

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
Mine is mounted to the coaming with the 5" pushrod extension and the plug is in the coaming pocket to be a little out of the weather.
+1 on the ST2000