Raymarine Auto Helm problem

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
The locking lever on our Auto helm ST 4000 keeps unlocking right after being engaged. It started last year but now is constant in its third season.
After 45 minutes of obnoxious on hold music with their help line, I went to their FAQ where the only advice was to send it in for repair.
Has anyone found a fix for this problem? (other than shock cord)

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
The belt tension may be too loose or the eccentric could be worn. Attached is the pdf that may help if you haven't seen it.
You may have to take it apart and look at it. I've taken it apart and replaced the belt. Not a big deal.
Good Luck

Attachments

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I had this exact same problem with mine. It turned out that there is a small stainless steel pin in the lever that had sheared. I found a small stainless finishing nail that was the right size, cut off the head and inserted it and it worked fine from then on. Disassemble the wheel and see if the lever moves on the eccentric shaft. If it does, its the shear pin. Mine behaved exactly the same way. For about a season it seemed to hold sometimes but would "unlock".

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Like smokey73, the pin in mine also sheared off allowing the lever to rotate slightly out of the locking position. In my case, I took a #4-40 tap and threaded the hole all the way through (I may have drilled it clear through first with a small drill). Then I used a couple of #4-40 set screws to hold it in place (not too tight or it will strip). At the same time I traced the perimeter of the plastic lever and cut a new one out of a piece of 1/4" aluminum. That was also drilled and tapped. I never had to use it before I gave the entire system to another forum member a few years ago when I got my new one. I hope he is still using it.

Sep 23, 2009
Thank you all!!
Will take a look at it this weekend and report back.
Great to see so much genius here. :clap:
Thanks again.

Sep 23, 2009
Hi All.
Need a plan B. I have a newer gray color model that does not have a pin to shear just a plastic eccentric bracket. Any ideas what to do next?

IMG_3898.JPG

Sep 23, 2009
Forgot to mention that for anyone else who has to open up their unit, you need to align the molded arrow images over each other for every thing to fit when reassembling.