Raymarine and new Hunter 33 - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
As an aside the new Airmar transducers, including this DST800P (Raymarine A22111) have a flapper valve inside reducing the amount of water that comes in when removing the plug/transducer.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Wow

So you are saying that 1 transducer does it all,be nice if I needed to add some thing else and not need to drill a new hole,great news and will check that out for future needs.
But my helm is all full of wires and can't really add anything more in my Nav Pod at the helm,love to add DS 300 system to chartplotter but no room for wires.
Nick

Apr 16, 2012
Hunter e33 Newport Yacht Club - Stoney Creek,ON
The transducer is a Raymarine A22111. Even though Raymarine shows it only interfacing with the ST70 many websites show it also works with the ST60 Plus.

http://www.raymarine.com/ProductDetail.aspx?SITE=1&SECTION=2&PAGE=1888&PRODUCT=4261

http://www.blueheronmarine.com/Raymarine-DST800-Plastic-Transducer-DST800P-A-6588

This just makes it all the more interesting as to how Hunter has connect my ST60 depth, ST60 Speed, P70 auto pilot, and the SPX-5 together. I am having a wind transducer installed before the mast goes up, but have asked not to connect nor add a display. (I'll do that myself...should be easy enough).

I'm going for an orientation tomorrow and will spend some time on the water with the dealer. Plan to do more on the weekend.

I will keep you informed.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Personally I would have installed a "ST60 Tridata" for the speed & depth and then the wind display (only two pod/holes etc)

Apr 16, 2012
Personally I would have installed a "ST60 Tridata" for the speed & depth and then the wind display (only two pod/holes etc)
Hunter installed a ST60 speed and a ST60 depth at the companionway.
The specs showed that they were going to install an ST60-style autopilot at the hlm. Instead, a new digital P70 was at the helm.

My wife wanted a ST60 style wind display also by the helm, but now that there is a P70, I'm thinking of installing a i70 display. I also have an e7 chartplotter to be installed at the helm.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Quite a hodgepodge of Raymarine generations there. But they will all interface with each other and you have the start of upgrades in the P/i series.

Steve, I agree a single tridata would work nicely and the surplus hole could then be filled with the wind display.

I had my dealer install a ST60 plus Wind while he was up the mast installing a radar scanner and mount and an LED anchor light. He mounted the wind display at the helm without asking. I would have liked it at the companionway in line with the helmsman's line of vision and with the ST60 Speed and Depth displays (installed by Hunter before shipping). Rather than moving the wind display and installing a blanking plate on the Pod I put in a ST60 Closed Hauled at the companion way.

Apr 16, 2012
Well, I had an orientation on Serena this morning and so far nothing to be concerned about. Said all that, none of the electronics are working. Going back after lunch and the dealer service tech thinks it is a fuse.

Note: while I inspected the electronics connections, I have seen that there is a Seatalk ng backbone installed. This means adding a i70 display and the e7 will be easy; just add a connector and a spur line (cable)

So far I am happy.

Too bad we have 25 knots wind. No sailing today for this novice.

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
Well, I had an orientation on Serena this morning and so far nothing to be concerned about. Said all that, none of the electronics are working. Going back after lunch and the dealer service tech thinks it is a fuse.

Note: while I inspected the electronics connections, I have seen that there is a Seatalk ng backbone installed. This means adding a i70 display and the e7 will be easy; just add a connector and a spur line (cable)

So far I am happy.

Too bad we have 25 knots wind. No sailing today for this novice.
Hey Serena,

Congratulations on the new boat. If you are at PCHM this week end stop by. We are on "O" dock. If you are working with Patrick he knows where we are.

We stayed at your marina a few years ago while we were on vacation. There were 3 Hunters and it seemed that 33 was on the upper limit of what could be accommodated. It was a nice setting though.

GreggL

Mar 1, 2012
Hunter e33 New Rochelle, NY
Serena,

That's great to hear about the backbone line; I'm going to have to inspect and see if mine has it as well, I was under the impression it did not.

On a side note, the boat sure can handle those winds no problem. My first few days out it was averaging 25 and gusting at close to 30 something, a little reefing and you'll be good to go. She won't sail well under just the main alone and remember to keep tension on the in mast furling lines if you have it. When the rachet is set to free and the line slips you'll be in a world of trouble when the sail comes flying out instead of in.

Good luck!

Apr 16, 2012
Hey Serena,

Congratulations on the new boat. If you are at PCHM this week end stop by. We are on "O" dock. If you are working with Patrick he knows where we are.

We stayed at your marina a few years ago while we were on vacation. There were 3 Hunters and it seemed that 33 was on the upper limit of what could be accommodated. It was a nice setting though.
Thank you Jake N Eggs,

We are on Q dock right now. Patrick spent some time with me. We will be back on on saturday and spending some time with TNY on the water on Sunday. If all goes well, we hope to bring her home next weekend.

As for Newport-YCSC.com...lots have changed. The land developer who owned the land has been bought out. We have created a non-profit organization. We dedged and can accommodate up to around 8 feet deep and boat lengths up to 50'. We are looking for new members.

Hope to meet you

Apr 16, 2012
Serena,

That's great to hear about the backbone line; I'm going to have to inspect and see if mine has it as well, I was under the impression it did not.

On a side note, the boat sure can handle those winds no problem. My first few days out it was averaging 25 and gusting at close to 30 something, a little reefing and you'll be good to go. She won't sail well under just the main alone and remember to keep tension on the in mast furling lines if you have it. When the rachet is set to free and the line slips you'll be in a world of trouble when the sail comes flying out instead of in.

Good luck!
Thanks Gregg....Perhaps mistaken about the backbone. I have spent more time tracing cables....and I'm now thinking they did some interesting connections. It looks to have a seatalk NG 5-way block, but it's not setup properly. Seatalk need external power...not power comming from course computer. Plus to connect ST60+ to a NG network, they need to use a Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter. Sent Raymarine an email and will work it out with the dealer before I start adding more electronics.

Attachments

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Serena1:

I would expect that if you have the ST60+ Wind and Depth displays connected to your e7 and/or your Course Computer via SeaTalk then that data would be passed back out to the SeaTalk ng backbone. Something Raymarine calls bridging. I have found Raymarine support to be top notch; although, right now they are very busy so you may find some delay in their responses. The SmartPilot Installation Manual, I have, says on pg 24:

"SeaTalk power connections
The exact manner in which connections are made depends on how power is supplied
to SeaTalk:
• If power is supplied by the Course Computer, connect the red and yellow wires
and the screen to the Course Computer.
• If power is supplied from an external source, connect only the yellow wire and the
screen to the Course Computer. Do NOT connect the red wire."

Do you have a Radar scanner?

IMHO starting out on a cruise with 25 kt winds is not prudent for any sailor new or old. An increase in wind speed by a few knots and you are into gale force winds. If I am caught in 20 plus winds I will deal with it; but, I won’t start in it. Call me cautious.

Apr 16, 2012
Serena1:

I would expect that if you have the ST60+ Wind and Depth displays connected to your e7 and/or your Course Computer via SeaTalk then that data would be passed back out to the SeaTalk ng backbone. Something Raymarine calls bridging. I have found Raymarine support to be top notch; although, right now they are very busy so you may find some delay in their responses. The SmartPilot Installation Manual, I have, says on pg 24:

"SeaTalk power connections
The exact manner in which connections are made depends on how power is supplied
to SeaTalk:
• If power is supplied by the Course Computer, connect the red and yellow wires
and the screen to the Course Computer.
• If power is supplied from an external source, connect only the yellow wire and the
screen to the Course Computer. Do NOT connect the red wire."

Do you have a Radar scanner?

IMHO starting out on a cruise with 25 kt winds is not prudent for any sailor new or old. An increase in wind speed by a few knots and you are into gale force winds. If I am caught in 20 plus winds I will deal with it; but, I won’t start in it. Call me cautious.
Thanks Len,
The e7 is not connected yet. What I want to deal with first is that the factory installed stuff works properly.

I agree with you regarding the power source. If that 5-way bus is a NG (in the picture) than it should be getting power from the panel, not from the course computer. And from what I can see the ST60 are also connected to the NG bus and that is also wrong. It should be connected to a Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter.

I think I am right, but now I need to explain it to the dealer who probably have not seen this before.

I have also sent a similar post to Raymarine support forum. Hopefully get answer soon.

Apr 16, 2012
Okay here is the update. I had to address this directly with Raymarine.
Well, it turns out my suspicion was right. The wiring is incorrect and it does need a Seatalk to SeatalkNG converter.

The NG bus can not be powered by the autopilot course computer, which mine is.

So, now back to the dealer to add the converter and then have it properly wired.

Apr 16, 2012
Update:
It's funny how a lot of finger pointing goes on.

Without going into a lot of details...unless you really want to know....I will be supplying the Seatalk to Seatalk NG converter. The dealer will do some rewiring and connect it accordingly. This should be done this afternoon.

Perhaps Raymarine, Hunter and the dealer will learn from this....or hope the next guy doesn't have the knowledge to question the connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.