Raymarine and new Hunter 33 - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 16, 2012
Hunter e33 Newport Yacht Club - Stoney Creek,ON
I just took delivery on a new Hunter e33. (Still at the dealer for commisioning) It was ordered with ST60 Depth, ST60 Speed, and Autohelm.

Of course, like the rest of you, I'm already thinking about additions. I plan to have a Wind Transducer installed with a i70 display and a Raymarine e7 multi function chart plotter. (Note the auto helm was factory installed with a p70 display)

What I would like to know is if the new boats have a backbone cable connecting the differnt devices, so that adding instruments, displays is simply adding another connector. Or do I need to run new cables and reconnect everthing.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Ray has no relationship w/Hunter. You will have to run the cables.
Are you sure that the two (60 & 70) have the same protocall? SeaTalk, and SeaTalkxx are not compatable wo/converter box

Apr 16, 2012
Ray has no relationship w/Hunter. You will have to run the cables.
Are you sure that the two (60 & 70) have the same protocall? SeaTalk, and SeaTalkxx are not compatable wo/converter box

We are not sure. The boat just arrived today and still needs to be rigged, etc. The service mgr at the dealer and I will be working on this once it's in the water. At this point, even the dealer doesn't know how is is setup until we look behind the panels.

At this point, I was just wondering if anyone with a new boat had any idea if Hunter is using a "backbone" and connecting everthing to that or if if every transducer is connected to it's own instrument dispaly with no interaction between them.

What makes this intesting is that (to my knowledge) the speed transducer needs to be connect the the autopilot computer and I think there is a seatlk ng connection between that computer and the p70 display. if that's the case then there must be a seatalk/seatalk ng connector in between so that the ST60 Speed can should the value.

Apr 16, 2012
We are not sure. The boat just arrived today and still needs to be rigged, etc. The service mgr at the dealer and I will be working on this once it's in the water. At this point, even the dealer doesn't know how is is setup until we look behind the panels.

At this point, I was just wondering if anyone with a new boat had any idea if Hunter is using a "backbone" and connecting everthing to that or if if every transducer is connected to it's own instrument dispaly with no interaction between them.

What makes this intesting is that (to my knowledge) the speed transducer needs to be connect the the autopilot computer and I think there is a seatlk ng connection between that computer and the p70 display. if that's the case then there must be a seatalk/seatalk ng connector in between so that the ST60 Speed can should the value.

Oh, and to add to this...if there is a seatalk ng already there, then adding a e7 will be easy. Also, the wind transducer will need to be connected to the autopilot computer and an i70 display can simply be added in the seatalk ng backbone.

(in therory this should work)

Les

May 8, 2004
Hunter 27 Bellingham, WA
While i don't have a new Hunter 33 I do have a relatively new Hunter 27 with C60 wind, speed and depth plus a X-5 autopilot. But the autopilot never talked to the others. I had a Raymarine tech on the boat and he found that there was no connection between the instruments and the autopilot. Everything has to be 'daisy chained' one to the other. I suspect Raymarine made sure your new E7 will speak to older instruments--it would be poor business not to have them do so.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Compatibility

You'll find the right answer, but I think the 70 series is a NEMA 2000 product and that you will need a $300 Seatalk to NEMA 2000 converter for them to talk. According to the Raymarine rep I listened to, the Seatalk protocol is being discontinued since there just isn't enough band width for today's applications. At least that's what I think I heard!

Apr 16, 2012
You'll find the right answer, but I think the 70 series is a NEMA 2000 product and that you will need a $300 Seatalk to NEMA 2000 converter for them to talk. According to the Raymarine rep I listened to, the Seatalk protocol is being discontinued since there just isn't enough band width for today's applications. At least that's what I think I heard!
Rick, I beleive you are right to some degree. But I believe they call it Seatalk NG (Next generation) which if I'm right mimics NEMA 2000 signal, but has Raymarine connectors. (my rep explained it to me but that was 3 months ago)

Well, I guess I will just have to wait a week and get a chance to look behind the panels see what's there and then just add some converters and cables. Looking at several Raymarine connection diagrams, I beleive it's all possible....I just need to know what are the missing piece.

Everyone, thanks for your help.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I'd be willing to bet that Hunter did not install any sort of backbone in the boat as they just don't know what the random owner is going to install. That would drive up the price and limit your choices. Not a great way to sell boats.
If you go to the Raymarine site and download the manuals for all the units you should be able to tell what will be needed network wise (what each unit has). It may be that you would want to get "the more expensive xxx" and save the cost of a converter box. Just a thought.

Nov 18, 2011
Hunter e33 Solent, UK
One thing we have had added to our e33 is a command mic. We felt the VHF in the saloon was too remote from the helm and this has resolved that issue.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Oh, and to add to this...if there is a seatalk ng already there, then adding a e7 will be easy. Also, the wind transducer will need to be connected to the autopilot computer and an i70 display can simply be added in the seatalk ng backbone.

(in therory this should work)
Problem is the old ST-60 stuff is Sea Talk HS or ST1 not Sea Talk Ng / STNG. You will need the converter kit for ST1 to STNG the part number is E22158.... If you have a bus with a YELLOW port that is the ST1 port and the white PORTS are STNG....

Dec 5, 2009
Hunter 36 Hernando Beach, FL
I recently had to replace my G2 course computer and ST60 autopilot control head on my 2009 H36. All the instruments St60 depth, wind and speed, GPS and C80 were home run to the course computer bypassing the need for a SeaTalk backbone on my existing system. I had to run a SeaTalk NG backbone from the new X10 course computer to the ST70 autopilot. Although the ST70 will accept SeaTalk 2 input from the ST60 instruments and display that data, it does not convert it to SeaTalk NG for transmission to the course computer. You should plan on installing one or more SeaTalk-Seatalk NG converters for your existing ST60 instruments and chart plotter then connect to the NG network.

GreggL

Mar 1, 2012
Hunter e33 New Rochelle, NY
There is no backbone installed in my e33, I was thinking about doing the same as you. My x5 autopilot is not connected to the upgraded chart plotter that came from the factory; I believe its ray marine A-5 series.
Unfortunately you'll have to run all new wires.

Apr 16, 2012
There is no backbone installed in my e33, I was thinking about doing the same as you. My x5 autopilot is not connected to the upgraded chart plotter that came from the factory; I believe its ray marine A-5 series.
Unfortunately you'll have to run all new wires.
Thanks GreggL.
Once I get a chance to look behind the panels, I will keep everyone informed. I doubt very much that Hunter ran a backbone line, but I'm curious how they integrated a p70 pilot display which is a seatalk ng instrument. I have also noticed that on the ST 60 speed and depth displays, the word "autohelm" is on the lower edge of the display. What ever that is supposed to mean.

Can't wait to get her in the water and figure it out.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
My e33 came fitted with the ST60 Plus (Autohelm Series) Speed and Depth mounted on the spray shield (fwd of the companionway hatch). I had the dealer install a ST60 Plus Wind and a Smartpilot X-5 (displays mounted in Pod at pedestal). Also I had him install an ACR AIS for me. All of these interface with a Raymarine C90W chartplotter. The Raymarine instruments interface via SeaTalk (except the Smartpilot course computer – NMEA 0183), the AIS and Icom VHF/DSC are also NMEA 0183. Unfortunately it seems they only connected the AIS NMEA out and Icom NMEA in to chartplotter. I am also having an ST60 Plus Close Hauled installed on the spray shield. I did not see any backbone as such, only SeaTalk and NMEA 0183.

Apr 16, 2012
Here's an interesting question. My boat finally arrived on Friday. While it's still out of the water, I have had the chance to look at everything that soon will be in the water. All looks good. But here's my question; I was looking for the tranducer for depth and speed.
I can only find one. The transducer is flat...no wheel for speed. See picture. Does this transducer work for speed, depth (and temperature)?

Attachments

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Here's an interesting question. My boat finally arrived on Friday. While it's still out of the water, I have had the chance to look at everything that soon will be in the water. All looks good. But here's my question; I was looking for the tranducer for depth and speed.
I can only find one. The transducer is flat...no wheel for speed. See picture. Does this transducer work for speed, depth (and temperature)?
Look inside the boat that is likely the dummy plug... The actual transducer is probably lying next to it inside the boat...

Apr 16, 2012
Look inside the boat that is likely the dummy plug... The actual transducer is probably lying next to it inside the boat...
Thanks Maine Sail.

That would make a lot of sense.

I actually only spent an hour or so on the boat when it arrived on the truck, just to do a visual inspection. The dealer has been working hard to get it in the water, (after it's 2+ months delay). Tomorrow I will have another chance to get on the boat.

GreggL

Mar 1, 2012
Hunter e33 New Rochelle, NY
Yes that's definitely the dummy plug.

Mine were both left connected together in the forward room, port side through-floor hatch. That's where you'll find the through-hull location for installing it. Your dealer probably hasn't finished commissioning and it's in a box somewhere.

Word or advice; keep your dummy plug nearby in case you ever need to pull the transducer for an inspection.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Always

Not to worry the dummie plugs are always next to the real plug when the boat is setup.
But you said only one hole so did Ray start using 1 transducer to do all.
Nick

Apr 16, 2012
Re: Always

Yes, One hole.
I was on another e33 a few weeks ago. That boat was already in the water. I had a look under the "floor boards" and I now remember seeing the dummy plug beside the transducer. The transducer is for speed, depth and temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.