Rare find in Puget Sound

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
There has got to be more to this story. A 70 year old mine with 2 feet above waterline doesn't go unnoticed in Puget Sound.
Those mines get anchored to the bottom and held by chain below the surface. The link rotted off and released the mine which bobbed to the surface. However, the photo did not show a mine that looked like it was out in the ocean for 70 years. Where's all the growth? What do the currents and tides look like? Maybe it's been floating around mid ocean until the tides brought it into the sound?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Those mines get anchored to the bottom and held by chain below the surface. The link rotted off and released the mine which bobbed to the surface. However, the photo did not show a mine that looked like it was out in the ocean for 70 years. Where's all the growth? What do the currents and tides look like? Maybe it's been floating around mid ocean until the tides brought it into the sound?

-Will (Dragonfly)
I havn't heard of mines deployed off the Washington coast. If I recall the military disposed of munitions in the Strait of Juan De Fuca. That could be the source. They are not talking...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I know right where the munitions site is.
See attached. Location just west of Smith Island. Traveled over these waters a number of times.;)
Sailing on the edge.:yikes:
North Puget Sound UnExploded Ordnance Area (small).jpg

Jul 7, 2012
Hunter 36 Des Moines, WA

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
East coast we have crab and lobster pots to watch out for. You PacNW guys have mines to watch out for. I guess no place is perfect.:biggrin:

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I know this isn't water related, but...

When I was in Afghanistan I was station at Bagram Air Base. This is the old Soviet base. Well, while doing a site survey for opening an office I was walking around the area. Lots of junk like parts of vehicles, nuts and bolts, parts of planes, all really small stuff. Some lying on top of the ground some protruding out of the ground. I got bored walking around and saw a pipe fitting kind of protruding out of the ground. You know us kids when we get bored, we start kicking stones or anything we see. So, I proceeded to start kicking the pipe.

Ok... couple of Army officers came over and asked what I was doing. Their eyes lit up when I said I was just kicking this pipe. We left the area and they called EOD. Sure enough, anti tank mine. Someone was on my side that day. LOL

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I know this isn't water related, but...

When I was in Afghanistan I was station at Bagram Air Base. This is the old Soviet base. Well, while doing a site survey for opening an office I was walking around the area. Lots of junk like parts of vehicles, nuts and bolts, parts of planes, all really small stuff. Some lying on top of the ground some protruding out of the ground. I got bored walking around and saw a pipe fitting kind of protruding out of the ground. You know us kids when we get bored, we start kicking stones or anything we see. So, I proceeded to start kicking the pipe.

Ok... couple of Army officers came over and asked what I was doing. Their eyes lit up when I said I was just kicking this pipe. We left the area and they called EOD. Sure enough, anti tank mine. Someone was on my side that day. LOL
Wow. Sounds like something I'd have done.
Ken

Oct 22, 2014
You guys (Ken and Brian) are not the first and likely not to be the last to kick things in the ground. Evolution keeps trying to thin the herd but somehow you guys are just lucky. Brian with his buried IED and Ken with his broken strut.

Oct 22, 2014
Happy note all. Ken safely returned his Amazing Grace to his home port of Everett.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
The mine ended to be from a naval exercise a few yrs ago. They exploded it with no secondary explosions so it was inactive. Amazing the navy doesn’t pick up their toys when they leave...

Gene S

Nov 29, 2015
Delphia 37 Tacoma
They should have towed it to Lake Union to make the Duck dodge more interesting.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Quick! Get it to FedEx ASAP! It's Independence Day down here tomorrow and we could use it as part of the festivities.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Dept of Nat. Resources boat found it and reported it. Navy Demo blew it up with no secondary so who knows how many ships hit it. That's a very busy channel.