Rare find in Puget Sound

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
An old unexploded mine has been found floating off Bainbridge Is. it’s currently being towed under Agate Pass bridge with a very long towline. I'm not sure they know what to do with it. Nobody knows where it came from..

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I'm old enough to remember a cruise missiles found floating in SoCal in the early 70's. Couple of guys put a line on it and began towing it. They called the CG who sent a boat out to look. The looked, called the Navy and then, after a few moments, backed up full reverse a hundred yards. Turned out to be an unarmed test missile which the Navy picked up.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I saw this on an episode of Gilligan's Island.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Hahahahaha.... Russel Johnson (The Professor) is the reason I wanted to be a professor. If only they would have listened to the professor... they would have been off of that island years earlier. Did you know Russel Johnson was a WWII air force second lieutenant and flew many missions in a B-25?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Did you know Russel Johnson was a WWII air force second lieutenant
I did not.
My brother is a huge Gilligan's Island fan and trivia buff. I'll point it out to him. I always thought the professor was the hero of that show too.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
An old unexploded mine has been found floating off Bainbridge Is. it’s currently being towed under Agate Pass bridge with a very long towline. I'm not sure they know what to do with it. Nobody knows where it came from..
And her I thought playing "dodge pot" in Maine was a challange! :yikes:

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Fun fact, Jssalem and I spent some time sails up and motoring all over there yesterday. It was immediately after that they closed off the area. It was great, no one but us around. Fat, dumb, and happy as they say.

Ken

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Fun fact, Jssalem and I spent some time sails up and motoring all over there yesterday. It was immediately after that they closed off the area. It was great, no one but us around. Fat, dumb, and happy as they say.

Ken
I'm glad fate was on your side yesterday.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA

Ken
Is that what caused the strut to fail?

Oct 30, 2017
Catalina c 27 Lake Pueblo
It is interesting to note, someone saw a floating mine, identified it, managed not to run into it and called authorities without incident while a commercial captain broadsided a sailboat with full sails set. :what:

-Will (Dragonfly)

well it was easy to see.... after all it was not a floating naval museum

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
There has got to be more to this story. A 70 year old mine with 2 feet above waterline doesn't go unnoticed in Puget Sound.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
We should have been looking into the water, not at our sails. Now we missed some of the fun.