Rapid Disintegration of Saildrive Leg

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
You dove on the wrong boat ? Vandalism ? Terrorism ?

Saildrive.JPG

Never having had a saildrive, do you know what this part is ? New part, anode ?

A suggestion in future might be to narrate the video, describing what we are seeing rather than just using music. Be a lot more helpful in analyzing just "whahappen ":yikes:.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
It's an anode. Had I thought anybody might be confused by what they were seeing in the video, I would have added narration. But thanks for the suggestion.

Jan 4, 2006
Surprising that this anode seems to be only mildly corroded compared to the rest of the saildrive body, which I assume is an aluminum casting.

Whatever it was, I suspect it happened very quickly (almost instantaneous). Lightning strike ? ? ?

Beyond that, dunno :confused:.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Surprising that this anode seems to be only mildly corroded compared to the rest of the saildrive body, which I assume is an aluminum casting.

Whatever it was, I suspect it happened very quickly (almost instantaneous). Lightning strike ? ? ?

Beyond that, dunno :confused:.
Nope. From the link I listed earlier:

The typical stray current corrosion scenario involves a faulty electrical connection that is located in, or close to, bilge water or one that makes contact with a submerged metal. Contrary to popular belief, electricity does not seek ground; it seeks a return path to its source. In the case of stray current corrosion that’s the vessel’s battery. Current leaking into bilge water may travel to a through hull fitting, then into the water in which the vessel is floating, then on to the propeller and shaft, which are grounded to the DC negative system via the engine block, and thence back to the battery. In this example, the propeller will almost certainly suffer from severe and rapid corrosion. Unlike galvanic corrosion, which occurs comparatively slowly, stray current corrosion moves with startling rapidity, potentially destroying a propeller, shaft, thruster, sail drive or stern drive in a matter of days. Unraveling the Corrosion Mystery | Steve D'Antonio Marine Consulting

Jan 4, 2006
Unlike galvanic corrosion, which occurs comparatively slowly, stray current corrosion moves with startling rapidity, potentially destroying a propeller, shaft, thruster, sail drive or stern drive in a matter of days.

Hmmmmmmmmmm ! I also suspect the impressed current attack is preferential with the most anodic metal going first to most cathodic metal going last. As previously noted, the anode didn't fare to badly in this case. Looks like the aluminum case was harder hit.

I can definitely say "strange", but beyond that, "dunno" without a complete inspection of the boat. And I don't think @fstbttms gets paid for that so unlikely we'll ever know the cause.

Mind you, if that were my boat, I wouldn't be installing a new saildrive until I knew EXACTLY what caused that catastrophe. You know, "once bitten, etc, etc".

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
@fstbttms If your customer has not had his boat hauled yet, he should before it sinks. This won't get better on its own. Yesterday would not be too soon to haul it.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Woof.. Not good..
I am still amazed that the saildrive manufacturers have not gone to a fiber reinforced engineered plastic leg.. or some enterprising aftermarket supplier hasn't made some for replacing that kind of mess..

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
My last boat had a saildrive volvo penta 110 from 1982 and was in perfect condition ,it looked new( fresh water). When I bought the boat the surveyor had a list that I went thru slowly correcting and replacing. On the list was to bond the A/c and ground with d/c panel as per ABYC. I did this and when I hauled the boat it looked like the saildrive sat in paint stripper. I sanded it primed with zinc cromate and volvo paint same thing next year. Did it again but this time unhooked the bonding ,hauled boat still looked like new . I know a galvanic isolator would have more than likely stopped it and was one of the first items I purchased on my current boat.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
am still amazed that the saildrive manufacturers have not gone to a fiber reinforced engineered plastic leg.. or some enterprising aftermarket supplier hasn't made some for replacing that kind of mess..
If the housing was made of non-metalic materials, any galvanic corrosion would attack the drive shaft, gears and propeller first. Only the prop would be visually inspectible. Serious damage could happen and you would never know until the whole unit was garbage.

I'm watching that video and I see a lot of deposits and possibly oxides, but was there real damage underneath?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I hear what' cha saying, Will, but It seems to me that once the leg is not subject to electrolysis, the other materials could be chosen to be a lot closer together on the electrolysis index. Polymer propellers are getting more common, but in an isolated environment, a naval bronze prop on a stainless (316) shaft would not tend to corrode much.. . The leg downshaft could be easily decoupled electrically from the engine/transmission, isolating the prop shaft .. This stuff is not exotic engineering.. I understand why saildrives are used, I just don't think that the manufacturers have done their homework on reducing maintenance items.. The changes could be made at a very low cost on a per-unit basis..

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I did notice a Drop Zinc at time = 27 sec [shape is a fish on line]
Was that installed on that boat?
If yes, was it new since the first video?
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
On a second look there is a Fish shaped drop Zinc on both Port and Starboard drives
So...
If those are properly connected to each engine, those may be the shield to a stray current in that marina.
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
After reading the Yanmar warning link...
Those drop Zincs are the key to protection on the Aluminum Housing.
Clean those drop Zincs often.!!
Jim...