Ran air into my water pump

Jul 30, 2023
Cascade 36 Seattle
I had a functional water system. Accidentally ran one of my tanks dry, and then water pump wouldn’t shut off. Pulled air through it by mistake and noticed what I did and so I shut off the pump. Now I needed to figure out how to prime the system..

Got the system primed and can pull water to hand pumps. I also loosened clamp leading up to the water pump to make sure water is leading right up to it. Water pump still won’t pump water to main faucet.

I have a Shurflo model 2088-423-344 water pump and then a Jabsco accumulator tank. (I’ve also got a hot water tank in aft storage bay behind the galley sink, unrelated but important part of water system.) Anyone have any ideas of potential fixes? And if not, any ideas of potential upgrades to make it all work again?

One idea is replace water pump with a self-priming pump. If this is a good idea, what product is compatible? And should I keep the accumulator tank with the new pump?

Advice is much appreciated. If anyone helps me fix it I’ll crew or skipper for you on my boat or yours, feed you brunch, etc. Puget Sound. Boat is Cascade 36, 1982.

⛵

Attachments

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
1) Your pump is self priming up to 4 feet of lift
2) Disconnect the pump inlet line to see if you have water flow.

If flow, then you have Air entering the pump suction.

Jim...

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The Jabsco is a self priming pump. You may have some trash in the pump valves if it is not pumping and it is not leaking . The valves can be disassembled (not an easy job) and cleaned. Is it pumping air to the faucet? If so, it may take a bit of running the pump and venting air out the faucet to get things flowing..
Ahh Jim beat me to the note.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Always the same problem here when we run dry.

Assuming everything is in working order :
- fill the water tank fully.
- open every hot and cold water faucet on board.
- let it run full flow until the pump runs smoothly which could take up to 30 sec.
- close all faucets.

If the boat next to you has a few faucets, open those as well. Couldn't hurt.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Always the same problem here when we run dry.

Assuming everything is in working order :
- fill the water tank fully.
- open every hot and cold water faucet on board.
- let it run full flow until the pump runs smoothly which could take up to 30 sec.
- close all faucets.

If the boat next to you has a few faucets, open those as well. Couldn't hurt.
And after all that, check the aerator screen and clean it out.

I have never had to “prime” or bleed my water pump….just fill the tank, and open the faucets to bleed out any air that I introduced into the system.

Greg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
This happens often on my boat. It happens on mine because the outlet side of the pump gets filled with air. I fix it by opening a connection on the output side with the pump running. The pump ejects the air, and then when I get water out, I close the loosened connection, and pressure builds and the pump shuts off.

My plan is to install an air valve in the output side. I have the parts, just haven't gotten to it yet.