RAM mic cable rewire?

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Not sure but I can't be alone in this:
My Standard Horizon CMP23B RAM mic functions fine but the cable has UV degraded and is crumbling. I spoke with their customer service and they no longer have the cables.
Any suggestions???
I'm waiting for a call back from tech support to see if there is a replacement mic that is compatible but from all my searches it doesn't look promising.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Any cable can be replaced. It’s going to depend on a number of factors, if you’re doing it, your soldering and assembly capabilities, or access to a good tech to do the work, and possibly more important than that, the availability of a cable suitable to the task; how many conductors, and what it’s going to take to attach it to what’s likely a molded on connector.

Aug 1, 2011
The other consideration is cost. If you’re sending it out to be rebuilt, you may be getting close to full on replacement territory. If the radio is more than say, 5 years old, maybe it’s time to upgrade? What criteria are you using in years vs cost for end of life?

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Radio is probably vintage 2003 but I'm not sure. It has DSC so it can't be too old and everything functions fine just a crumbling cord.

Aug 1, 2011
Then splice in, or get somebody to splice in a new cord between the connectors.

May 25, 2004
Catalina 400 mkII Harbor
i would call back and talk to someone else, when mine went south i called them and they had a repair program. it was like $40 and no matter what was wrong they would fix it. it came back all new except the rear of the piece, new cord and everything. this was about 6 years ago.
mike

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Thanks everyone, unfortunately they no longer repair these. This was their response:
Thank you for contacting us about your microphone. Unfortunately after many years of continued support we no longer have parts available to repair the CMP23 series microphones, or parts related to the routing cable. Although we have continued to repair them more than 14 years after they went out of production, we can no longer continue to do so. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause you.
I will have to live with it or replace the whole system.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Claude,
That may work. I'll have to find out how many wires are required.
Thanks!

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I have a lot of interest in this thread because I have the identical Standard Horizon RAM with the same problem. I also contacted Standard Horizon and received the same answer. They are no longer servicing those units and they don't make a RAM that is compatible with the base VHF radio. The cord has a total of 8 conductors. There is a black and white wire that are a heavier gauge than the others. The lighter gauge wires are red, green, blue, black, pink and yellow. Please post follow up information. I thought about contacting a business that repairs CB radios but haven't gotten around to it yet. Replacing the radio with a new one makes economic sense but the problem is that most of the new VHF models are physically larger and don't fit the nav station without a considerable rearrangement of other components. Another unexpected project I'd like to avoid.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019
S2 11.0a Duncan Bay, Lake Huron
Curious if there has been any success with this? I am in the same boat...

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Question for those of you in this situation, and there appear to be several: If your RAM mike is like mine its mounted at the binnacle - do you have a binnacle cover, or is your RAM mike exposed to the elements continuously? Not a judgment, just a question.

Aug 1, 2011
Mounted with a connector, it gets removed and stored below. Yes we have a binnacle cover.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Mounted with a connector, it gets removed and stored below. Yes we have a binnacle cover.
Follow-up question: Do you have a bimini/full canvas that mostly shades the RAM mic cord, or is it fully exposed to the sun when installed on the binnacle?

Aug 1, 2011
We have a bimini, and it's not always out. The cable is in the sun a lot of the time. Don't leave it out when it's not in use.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Same here, it’s only plugged in when we’re sailing. It’s removed and stored below when not in use. We have a bin and Bimini. I was never able to repair mine but was able to find a used one in almost new condition.

Aug 1, 2011
Tupperware from the dollar store is an excellent acquisition towards keeping things like this in good shape and organized.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Post pics if you can. I'm sure I can find a suitable replacement. Most mic/speaker combos are 3-4 wires if it's just audio being carried over the cable