RAM mic cable rewire?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
If it is just the outer cable covering that is disintegrating, and the conductors are still carrying all the signals needed to have complete functionality of the radio, why not wrap the cable in something? In effect, give it a new skin. Heat shrink, hockey tape, even electrical tape (yuck) come to mind, and they come in various colors. I wouldn't recommend black or a dark color, because of heat absorption, but this seems like a cheap fix if the problem is cosmetic and/or lack of protection for the conductors.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Here is a photo of the inside of the Standard Horizon CMP23 RAM mic. There are 8 small conductors within the cord.
IMG_1924.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
There most definitely is. It's dealing with way more than just mic and speaker. I'm really surprised to see that they have a custom IC. Anyways, here's a couple that might work for you. The first link has options for a custom cable

Networking Coiled Cords - CAT5e - CAT6e
Amazon.com: Curlynet Spiral-Coiled Ethernet Cat5e 24AWG Cable (Multiple Lengths): Industrial & Scientific

I've also heard of people wrapping a cable around a tube and heating it up a bit so the insulation will keep it's shape

Last edited:

Laszlo

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 36mkII Garden City UT
Curious if there has been any success with this? I am in the same boat...
Not so far. I just wrap the cracked chord with rigging tape as it gets progressively worse. the radio/boat is a 2002 factory installed. Always put away ram mike when not on boat. It’s just age. Hope it last with TLC since Standard Horizon said no longer supported and need to change the entire system. Not surprised just hate to have to run all new wires.

Aug 3, 2019
S2 11.0a Duncan Bay, Lake Huron
My female connector on the RAM mic was a mess, wires off, etc. I tried to fix, but I am not skilled enough for those 8 pins! I just ordered an 1850B and the new version of the RAM.

Laszlo

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 36mkII Garden City UT
My female connector on the RAM mic was a mess, wires off, etc. I tried to fix, but I am not skilled enough for those 8 pins! I just ordered an 1850B and the new version of the RAM.
My understanding is from Horizon there is one replacement for the CMP23w that works with my radio.

Jul 12, 2020
Moody 42CC Sausalito
Same deal. Kept in Tupperware below when not in use. Can’t believe Amazon let me down on this one.
image.jpg

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
My understanding is from Horizon there is one replacement for the CMP23w that works with my radio.
Would you mind sharing what that replacement is?

Aug 3, 2019
S2 11.0a Duncan Bay, Lake Huron
FYI, I ended up finally with:
  • Standard Horizon GX2200 Matrix AIS with GPS Black
  • Standard Horizon CMP31 RAM3+ Mic (Black)
Works like a charm, but cost $410. :(
(Note that the connectors are different on the new radios and RAMs (of course), so I had to pull a new cable and mount the new connector in the cockpit.

There is no newer RAM that worked with my 1260, per Standard Horizon. :confused:

Jan 21, 2021
mirage mirage 30 OttWa
Can anyone provide the wiring list for a Standard Communications Ram Mike model CMP 23B? Would like to know which color wire connects to which pin number.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Here is what I would do. Buy a 5' patch cord, as in used in networking. Cut one end of it and solder it to the Mike. There are 8 conductors in patch cord, they are twisted and stranded suitable to be flexible
The other end with RJ 45 plug, install a network jack on the binnacle side and apply lanoline to keep moisture out. It will work fine. You will not have the coiled wire.
Harp.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
There is coiled cat5 cables available but they of course cost more. If possible, go with stranded wire as it has less of a memory effect. In otherwords, it'll be easier to coil, store, etc.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
Giny Handy 8-Pin Microphone Cable Coiled Microphone Cord Male Female Cable - after I looked in the SBO store and could not find it there.