RAKA epoxy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Anyone else here used RAKA epoxy? What was your experience like?
I have a kit, medium viscosity resin and non blushing hardener. The resin is very thick (I can't imagine thicker) and the hardener takes forever to kick! I coated some pieces of ply 7 hours ago and they are still tacky in 80+ heat.
Did I get a bad batch? The only other epoxy I've ever used is West System and bought this because of price and kit size.

Jun 25, 2012
hunter 356 Kemah,the Republic of Texas
Anyone else here used RAKA epoxy? What was your experience like?
I have a kit, medium viscosity resin and non blushing hardener. The resin is very thick (I can't imagine thicker) and the hardener takes forever to kick! I coated some pieces of ply 7 hours ago and they are still tacky in 80+ heat.
Did I get a bad batch? The only other epoxy I've ever used is West System and bought this because of price and kit size.
I used west system slow cure and about four months later it still as not set up!

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
Epoxy must be measured out carefully. Each brand has its own ratio of resin to catalyst. Better to err on the side of less hardener than more. More will definitely impede curing. Never used the Raka brand.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I've only used West fast hardener in small enough batches to not kick before I finish Robert. Never used the slow.
I read on a boat building forum where Paul Oman of Progressive Epoxy recommended sitting the mix bowl in a pan of ice to slow down the chemical reaction.
Hope that yours will kick when it warms up!

Edit: I should Have said I try to use it before it kicks, doesn't always work out that way!

Mar 8, 2011
Ranger 33 Norfolk
What do you mean "tacky"? Solid but would pull the lint off of a rag? Or still liquid?

You didn't buy a laminating resin, did you?

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
I used Raka because it showed up as superior in tests on the Kayak Forum for long-lasting clarity. Built a 14' cedar strip kayak with it. (About 50 pounds, all up, BTW.) I did have problems with a batch that kicked before I thought it should: operator error. Residue in the measuring cups can mess up your ratios. Generally 24 hours is called for for things to set up nice & hard. If your resin isn't setting up, you may need to scrape it off and start over. The mixed resin should be about the consistency of varnish or honey - not thicker, unless you're mixing it with microballoons or sanding dust to make a filler.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
The first one.
By laminating resin, are you referring to polyester resin without wax?
Epoxy cures solid with a non tacky surface.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I used Raka because it showed up as superior in tests on the Kayak Forum for long-lasting clarity. Built a 14' cedar strip kayak with it. (About 50 pounds, all up, BTW.) I did have problems with a batch that kicked before I thought it should: operator error. Residue in the measuring cups can mess up your ratios. Generally 24 hours is called for for things to set up nice & hard. If your resin isn't setting up, you may need to scrape it off and start over. The mixed resin should be about the consistency of varnish or honey - not thicker, unless you're mixing it with microballoons or sanding dust to make a filler.
If you were closer you could have the 80 percent of the kit I have left Paul. Not visiting East Central Florida any time soon?
I was spoiled by West System.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I was spoiled by West System.
and as you should be this stuff is fool proof..expensive yes but not so much so if you concider clean up and all the trappings that go along with glass work ....and besides its good on CORN FLAKES toooo;)

regards

woody

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
You're right Woody. A problem I had with West was the hardener turning red with age (I don't use it fast enough) but I guess I could get the gallon of resin and smaller quantities of hardener as needed.
On Corn Flakes? Sounds delicious!

May 26, 2004
- - Oriental, NC
Use Raka a lot. All their line tend to harden slow. On their standard product 24 hrs to harden but soft ( thumbnail indent). 48 hrs to hull sandable hard. They told me no shelf life restriction.

Goodwinds
DaveM

May 31, 2007
Hunter 37 cutter Blind River
Hardener will turn red with age but that doesn't affect its integrity. You can still use it. Love it when people have red catalyst and give it to me or sell it cheaply because they think it is totally stale. Just can't use it over brightwork unless you want a tint. This is written up by Gudgeon Brothers.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I've used the hardener after it's turned red but when I'm doing laminating (I think it's called) I like to see if there are air bubbles that need worked out.

Sep 25, 2008
Morgan 415 Out Island Rogersville, AL
I've used the Raka resins many times during the past 8 years or so. I believe it to be an outstanding choice. The slow cure hardener does take a long time to kick. I've never had a bad batch. I always used the metered pumps when mixing Raka epoxies.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Thanks, just wondering if I had gotten a bad batch.
After 24 hours it's finally no longer tacky and hopefully sand-able.
Have you seen the Mogan FB page Snotter? It's very active with a lot of good Morgan people!

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Epoxy, unlike polyester resins, must be exactly measured into the proper ratio. That's why they provide pumps so that with each stroke you get the right amount of resin and catalyst. You can wing it with polyester and still have good results. Wing it with epoxy and you have problems. Slow epoxy is designed for hotter days. The hotter it is, the quicker it sets up. Fast epoxy catalyst is for cooler days where ambient heat is not there to help the curing process. Also remember, in time, you can get sensitized to epoxy so you should protect your skin. Some people think this is bunk, but it is not. Get exposed to it directly over a long period of time and you could get into a situation where you cannot get near the stuff. Not even in the same room. So.....wear gloves, a mask, if sanding, etc.

Sep 25, 2008
Morgan 415 Out Island Rogersville, AL
Keeping up with this site is about all I have an appetite for. I finally cancelled my Morgan subscription on yahoo--it got to be too much.

Thanks, just wondering if I had gotten a bad batch.
After 24 hours it's finally no longer tacky and hopefully sand-able.
Have you seen the Mogan FB page Snotter? It's very active with a lot of good Morgan people!

Status
Not open for further replies.