Raising the Mast

Sep 4, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Tahoe
Just a question about those shroud levers. Do they require shorter shrouds? Would the factory shroud lines still work in these? Just wondering if the lever would make the shrouds too long.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Logan Martin AL
Just a question about those shroud levers.....
They replace the existing adjusters. I measured my adjusters and they are within the range of these. Mine have 17 holes and these have 7 so fine adjustment isn't possible. I can live with that over being thrown to the cockpit floor and attacked by the mast. If you go to the link at Duckworks there is a hole-to-hole specification.

Stickinthemud may have more info.

Like a kid with birthday money, I have a tracking number!

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Tahoe
They replace the existing adjusters. I measured my adjusters and they are within the range of these. Mine have 17 holes and these have 7 so fine adjustment isn't possible. I can live with that over being thrown to the cockpit floor and attacked by the mast. If you go to the link at Duckworks there is a hole-to-hole specification.

Stickinthemud may have more info.

Like a kid with birthday money, I have a tracking number!
Great. Thanks for the info. By the way Tater... I grew up just down the road from Logan Martin Lake in Talladega. Nice area.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Great. Thanks for the info. By the way Tater... I grew up just down the road from Logan Martin Lake in Talladega. Nice area.
I know Talladega well.

The area near the dam has plenty of open water. I want to try Guntersville soon.

Sep 4, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Tahoe
I know Talladega well.

The area near the dam has plenty of open water. I want to try Guntersville soon.
Guntersville is a great lake to sail in. Much more open water and a lot more wind.

Apr 11, 2020
MacGregor 26s Scott's Landing, Grapevine TX
Sorry, I can't shine much light on your question, Jeremy. My boat came with, so I don't know whether or not the po had to get new shrouds. If you find you do, I can highly recommend Dwyer.com. They are the original hardware manufacturer for the 170. Oddly enough, they do not carry the tensioners, at least that I could find.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Jeremy, my adjusters are somewhere between here and Kent WA. Delivery is scheduled for Thursday. I plan to put them on and go driveway sailing. I'll report back.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Jeremy, I have the adjusters.
In my case, position 2 adds about 1.75 inches when open. I'll install and test. If this isn't optimal, I should be able to incline the mast partially and set in the tabernacle. (Who names this stuff?)

closed.jpg
open.jpg

Apr 11, 2020
If my experience is any indicator, that additional length will be enough to get the base of the mast inserted at the tabernacle.

I had to laugh at your "who names this stuff" comment. Just yesterday, I was musing on the number of terms the apply to boats and only to boats:

Fore and Aft, instead of front and back.
Port and Starboard, instead of left and right.
Under steam, instead of under power
Others include:
Whisker pole
Lazarette
Athwartship
Halyard
Sheet
Coaming
Gunwale
Charley Noble
...and hundreds more, I'm sure.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
If my experience is any indicator, that additional length will be enough to get the base of the mast inserted at the tabernacle.

I had to laugh at your "who names this stuff" comment. Just yesterday, I was musing on the number of terms the apply to boats and only to boats:.......
I spent a few years in the Air Force. Some of that time was at school on a Navy Base. That was culture shock on steroids. It was like someone had the job of renaming common items to fit a maritime culture.

Yesterday I put one guide on the trailer. Today the other. The boat is back on the trailer.

Apr 11, 2020
I suppose knowing all that lingo would add to the esprit de corps. One of my favorite is "lazarette", which, as you probably know, is where they put the dead bodies.

Sep 4, 2021
Hunter 170 Lake Tahoe
Jeremy, I have the adjusters.
In my case, position 2 adds about 1.75 inches when open. I'll install and test. If this isn't optimal, I should be able to incline the mast partially and set in the tabernacle. (Who names this stuff?)

View attachment 202275View attachment 202276
Great. Thanks for the info. It looks like installing them with the existing shrouds shouldn't be a problem. In my case, I am ordering new standing rigging and wanted to make sure the standard length stays would fit the levers put in place by the previous owner. Those levers do make stepping the mast very easy.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Now with no fingernails, the adjusters are on. How I hate those rings! One of the quick release pins didn't have good retention. I found it loose in the package. DW is sending a new one.

I had 3 that hit position 2. One hit at 1. The Wx is bad until Friday. I will raise the mast and see how this works.

I am at the far end of adjustment. Is there any reason for not using the old adjusters at the mast end to add an inch or two to the shrouds? I can see an easy 4+ inches to be gained if necessary.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2020
That makes perfect sense as long as you can get proper tension. I would try to make it work without them though, if at all possible. Those stupid rings are notorious for snagging sheets and halyards. The fewer of them the better. If you order new stays, you may want to have the length adjusted accordingly for a cleaner rig.

Yeah, those pins give me the willies sometimes. I have changed mine out for this type of bimini top pin:

If I recall correctly, I had to stretch the spring out to make sure the crosspiece stays flat against the fitting. With this kind of pin, I don't worry about it working its way free.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Once-upon-a-time, I could have fabricated stays. I hope mine last a while.

Someone suggested PTO pins. I have one of those at the furler.

Apr 11, 2020
Yes, those would work too if you can find the right size in stainless steel. Unless you keep your boat in the garage anything else is subject to rust.

Tater

Oct 26, 2021
Stickinthemud gets 2 gold stars. I rested the top end of the mast on a 6' ladder and the base went in without a struggle. I didn't step the mast, no need. I need a ladder regardless, so I am good.
set1.jpg

Apr 11, 2020
Awesome! Seriously, those quick-release shroud levers should have been standard equipment.