Radio Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Christine

I have a 1988 Cat 30 TR. My radio King VHF 7001 radio will receive but not transmit over a 1/4 mile. I believe the problem is in the coaxial cable that runs to the mast antenna. I am going to replace it but cannot find the connection that goes to the mast (not sure if its tucked behind a bulkhead). 1) Has anyone had a similar problem with their radio 2) Does anyone know how the coax is run up the inside of the mast.

R

Rick Moore

Possible Solutions

Hi Christine.. I've seen alot of people with the same problem, and provided it's not an internal problem in the radio itself, it is almost always one of two things: 1st thing to check is your hi/lo power switch on the radio. This is a common switch to most VHF radios, and most people don't use it much so never pay attention to if it has been depressed by accident. The low power side of the switch is meant for talking with other boats in the same area without broadcasting for miles. If the switch is ok, then your problem probably lies in the coax cable connectors, it would be very unusual for it to be the wire itself. Be especially suspicious of connectors at the mast step as they could see alot of salt. With any luck, you should have external access to the coax wire at the step or at the cabin ceiling under the step. Have the connections tested for continuity with an ohm testor and resoldered or replaced as necessary. Have someone check the crimps at all ends of the wire, making sure that there is good contact with the shield.. if there's no good ground, your transmission range will be very poor. These checks are very easy to do by yourself with a test meter, or someone with experience testing continuity. You may have to check the masthead connections as well, but this is still easier than stepping the mast to replace the wire, which is always a last resort. Hope this helps. Rick Moore

D

Dave

Radio transmitter

I have had the exact same problem with my old radio, a Standard that was about 5 years old. My boat came with this radio when I bought it. It was able to recieve great but would not transmit to any distance, (I could get a radio check within the harbor but that is it.). I brought the radio in to be checked and they said the transmitter was blown. This happens when there is not a good connection to the antenna and the mike is keyed up. There is a lot of power trying to go to the antenna and it is not there to absorb it, so it blows out a componant within the radio's transmitter. I just bought a new radio and it all works great.

H

Hayden Watson

Coax

On my C30 the coax is in a conduit in the mast. It goes down through the deck step and compression post to the bilge. I hope this helps. Hayden Watson '88 C30 TR S/V Papillon Spokane, WA

Status
Not open for further replies.