Racing Rules

Apr 14, 2010
Jeanneau 42DS Larnaca Marina
Can someone tell me if there is a formal regulation that prohibits projecting anchors at the bow during racing? I cannot find any myself. Thanks. Lee

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
What do you mean by projecting anchors?

There is no rule against dropping anchor, as if to moor while awaiting unfavorable tide, as long as you don’t use the anchor to propel yourself forward beyond your original location when retrieving the anchor.

If you mean projecting like sticking out to cross a line earlier that wouldn’t count - the boat’s hull is what counts.

If you mean throwing an anchor at another boat :yikes: that would probably fall in the category of failing to give room for the other boat to keep clear, and might be a Rule 2 violation.

If you mean just having the anchor stowed at the bow I don’t know anything against that. It’s not really a great place to store all the weight, way out at the end of the boat, but as far as I know it’s perfectly legal and done quite often.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
What do you mean by projecting anchors?

If you mean throwing an anchor at another boat :yikes: that would probably fall in the category of failing to give room for the other boat to keep clear, and might be a Rule 2 violation.
I love the image this produces even if it is unsportsman like! I also agree that I see no rule about keeping an anchor on the bow although I can see a danger if the anchor snagged something in a close crossing. Then again I have almost had my whisker pole snag a stay on a boat down wind before as well.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
My experiences: Our racing committees usually set those rules. In our one design races, we had two classes: racing and cruising skippers. The racers took their anchors off, the ruising rules said you could leave them up. Sometimes. Some years they said stow 'em. Other PHRF races were simply different. It's the race committee and the individual race sailing rules, as published before the race.

• Helpful

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hi,

AFAIK there are no rules regarding anchors on the bow. Note that the racing rules of racing state:
A boat finishes when, after starting, any part of her hull crosses the finishing line from the course side
So anchor on bow or no anchor will not affect the finish position.

Barry

Apr 14, 2010
Jeanneau 42DS Larnaca Marina
My issue is that someone hit my boat during a race and because he had his anchor on the bow, he caused me more damage, and I wanted to know if he had violated any racing rules for not removing his anchor.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
My issue is that someone hit my boat during a race and because he had his anchor on the bow, he caused me more damage, and I wanted to know if he had violated any racing rules for not removing his anchor.
IMO
the rule broken wasn't for non-removal of the anchor, but in contact. Of course you also have obligation to avoid contact, regardless of stand-on or give-way vessel.

What is the consideration in extent of the damage caused by anchor versus no anchor? Is the other captain offering to cover costs of repairs?

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
With regard to the anchor, that has nothing to do with it. It is all about who had right of way and whether the collision was avoidable. i.e. who's fault was it. Even if you are the boat with right of way you must avoid a collision if you can. You cannot just ram a boat because you have rights.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Leaving an anchor mounted on the bow roller while racing is not against the rules, but it might not be the best place to have the weight. Did you file a protest or do turns as a penalty for having made contact? Did the other boat? We had an incident at the start of one race with a competitor who was barging between us and the Committee boat. He tried to cross our bow and our bow pulpit snagged on the outboard motor for the dinghy that he had hung on his stern pulpit. This pulled us to leeward into the boat next to us, and our momentum (we were going about six knots) pushed his stern around so that he bounced down the other side of the boat to our leeward. We withdrew from that race, somewhat shell-shocked. There were thousands of dollars of damage to each of the three boats. The barger stopped racing after that. We try not to race with things that stick out.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hi,

Some a competitor had a dinghy on his davits? With an outboard motor on it? That is a new one to me!

I'm sorry for your damage.

Barry

Leaving an anchor mounted on the bow roller while racing is not against the rules, but it might not be the best place to have the weight. Did you file a protest or do turns as a penalty for having made contact? Did the other boat? We had an incident at the start of one race with a competitor who was barging between us and the Committee boat. He tried to cross our bow and our bow pulpit snagged on the outboard motor for the dinghy that he had hung on his stern pulpit. This pulled us to leeward into the boat next to us, and our momentum (we were going about six knots) pushed his stern around so that he bounced down the other side of the boat to our leeward. We withdrew from that race, somewhat shell-shocked. There were thousands of dollars of damage to each of the three boats. The barger stopped racing after that. We try not to race with things that stick out.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
In the Tampa Bay to Isla Mujeres race I have seen a boat grilling burgers on the rail grill as they crossed the start line. It would depend on the event's rules.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
‘though I’ve read the ROC a thousand times I missed the definition of “Finish” being when … hull crosses the line. Previously I thought that part of the boat includes the sail (Spinnaker), sprit pole or anchor platform/anchor. Apologies to any boat I may have finished incorrectly. Oops!

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Hi,

Some a competitor had a dinghy on his davits? With an outboard motor on it? That is a new one to me!

I'm sorry for your damage.

Barry
To clarify: his dinghy outboard was mounted on his stern pulpit. Dinghy was rolled up & stowed, apparently.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
‘though I’ve read the ROC a thousand times I missed the definition of “Finish” being when … hull crosses the line. Previously I thought that part of the boat includes the sail (Spinnaker), sprit pole or anchor platform/anchor. Apologies to any boat I may have finished incorrectly. Oops!
Don’t feel bad, that’s a change in the 2021 version of the RRS. The previous definition of finish was “hull, or crew or equipment in normal position”.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
In the Tampa Bay to Isla Mujeres race I have seen a boat grilling burgers on the rail grill as they crossed the start line. It would depend on the event's rules.
you can roll the hot dogs by tacking. (trust me it works) Just be careful when you open the lid, as contents may have shifted during flight...err...leg.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Finish USED to be any part of the boat, rigged in its regular position, that crossed the line. Now it's hull. (Which I guess does not include bow pulpit.) Buoy room used to be with overlap at two boat lengths. Now it's three. Rules get rewritten/tweaked every 4 years.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Time to buy a new RRS, I guess. Damn, I’ve only had the last one two years.

NCBrew

Feb 22, 2010
Hunter Hunter Legend 35.5 9335 Albemarle Plantation, NC
Yes, but, Did they have grey Pu Pon.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
By inference, for the start, does that mean when any part of the "hull" crosses the start line and a sprit, bow roller, anchor, spinnaker, etc can cross before the start signal as long as the hull does not"