Racing Hunters in March in Texas

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Winds were almost as strong this week. Put in just one reef to see if the mainsheet and vang would help with headstay sag pulling through the sail, not really. Couldn't catch the boats that started in front of us upwind into 20 knots on the first leg, and got waterlined by the longer boats that started behind us on the reaching legs.
It was a great time on the bay again, though. Lighter winds forecast for next weekend.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It looks like you had a lot of fun.
:thumbup:

Couldn't catch the boats that started in front of us upwind into 20 knots on the first leg, and got waterlined by the longer boats that started behind us on the reaching legs.
What does this term mean? Is this a reference to the better "Hull Speed" of longer waterlines?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
It looks like you had a lot of fun.
:thumbup:

What does this term mean? Is this a reference to the better "Hull Speed" of longer waterlines?

-Will (Dragonfly)
Yes, my 340 and an 80’s Hunter 34 were the smallest boats in this race. With +20 knot winds, everyone was doing hull speed or better on the last two reaching legs. I was passed by a Diva 39 and a Jeanneau 379.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
We snuck out for one last race on Sunday before everything shut down. Galveston County was still allowing gatherings of under ten and almost all businesses were open, just no dine in for restaurants. There were less than 150 confirmed cases out of 7 million people in the Houston area and two deaths, one was 97 years old, the other one was in their 80's.
As of midnight last night, Galveston and Harris Counties now have a stay at home order and only essential businesses open. No more deaths I think and not a lot more cases, about 370 right now
So we managed to race every weekend in 2020 so far, twelve in a row. Streak ends though, there'll be no number 13 this weekend. Exciting finish in this one, we were 20 seconds behind third, a boat we chased the whole race, and fifth was just 3 seconds behind us.
I've got a lot to keep me busy, though. Hope everyone stays healthy and we get through this soon.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
He’s going to have to get a faster boat soon...
Who, me or the red boat? Or the Jeanneau 379? We've pretty much been trading finish places in the seven races in the series so far.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Trading places? Exactly the point. You obviously need a faster boat.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Personally, I would much rather compete in a fleet where the top spots are consistently non-consistent. That means that it is competitive. The worst thing is racing is when someone "buys" the podium and no one else can get there without getting a better boat.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Personally, I would much rather compete in a fleet where the top spots are consistently non-consistent. That means that it is competitive. The worst thing is racing is when someone "buys" the podium and no one else can get there without getting a better boat.
Good point. Playing a game where you always win can get boring. What else can we do to help Bill become more consistent, though?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Good point. Playing a game where you always win can get boring. What else can we do to help Bill become more consistent, though?
Maybe you didn’t notice in the slide show at the end of the video, we’re tied for series first after seven races. That’s pretty consistent, I’ll take any help I can get, though. Our Hunter does well in winds below 10 knots, we’re lucky to not be last when it’s blowing over 20. But, it’s all fun!
9FDC00C2-AC82-455B-982E-C4826CB28C82.jpeg

Hopefully, this pandemic will be over soon, we’ll learn and be better prepared. I am still employed, and considered an essential employee in an essential business, so I have to get out. But, as far as sailing and racing is concerned, I’m done till this is over. Well, I may put together some more YouTubes from the video I already have.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Maybe you didn’t notice in the slide show at the end of the video, we’re tied for series first after seven races. That’s pretty consistent, I’ll take any help I can get, though. Our Hunter does well in winds below 10 knots, we’re lucky to not be last when it’s blowing over 20. But, it’s all fun!...
I suspect that your problems in 20knts has something to do with headstay sag. ;) An increase in sag makes the sail fuller which isn't really what you want in a blow.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
I suspect that your problems in 20knts has something to do with headstay sag. ;) An increase in sag makes the sail fuller which isn't really what you want in a blow.
Yes, headstay sag definitely slow us down, also hurts pointing. I don't think I am going to modify the rig to add running backstays as has been suggested, but I am going to get shroud and diagonal tension checked (again). Prebend looks perfect. I think some headstay sag may just be the nature of the beast with a B&R rig with no backstay, how much though?
Wing keel also slows me down in high winds, boat heels and slides sideways and the shallow rudder won't bite. But, it can be an asset in light winds.
It may not be a great boat to win races with, but it is a fun boat to race. Get a lot of praise for the cockpit room and rigging layout from people who have raced on J's, Catalinas, S2's, Beneteau's, etc...

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
We kept the boat at the dock for four weeks. Right or wrong, there was a race last Saturday and we sailed in it. Weather was just too nice, so we thought. The actual point of law is confusing. There’s a stay at home order, but they announce the beaches are open. We were way more isolated than the crowds at Home Depot and Lowe’s.
But, next weekend, sporting events with 4 participants will be allowed. I guess that number was picked for golf foursomes and two on two basketball.