Racing a Beneteau 311 w/Fin Keel and Centerboard

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
On the 310 you can see that downwind with spinnaker it is best to sail a deep reach (150 TWA) in breeze 12 knots or under. But over that, its 'down the hatch'!
She runs like a scalded dog with the wind up! ;-)

That looks like the Deep Keel version. Is there one for the Short Keel?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
She runs like a scalded dog with the wind up! ;-)

That looks like the Deep Keel version. Is there one for the Short Keel?
Sadly, every boat in the database has the 1.83m draft.... ;^/

Nov 8, 2010
Well, that probably makes sense!
I was kinda surprised that no shoal boats were in the database. But you're right, if they are being seriously raced, the deep keel is the only way to go. Points better, and is lighter.

Aug 15, 2017
Beneteau 311 Fort Walton Beach
CapitalistSailor, have you ever used your asymmetrical spinnaker as a gennaker? If so, how tight to the wind have you been comfortable with?

I have considered doing this several times although as yet I haven't done it. I want to believe that it can be done and done effectively.

Aug 20, 2013
Beneteau 311 Port Clinton, OH (Lake Erie)
CapitalistSailor, have you ever used your asymmetrical spinnaker as a gennaker? If so, how tight to the wind have you been comfortable with?
Dennis, my asymmetrical is sort of a custom design, an A1.5, between an A1 and an A2. I wanted it for cruising around on lighter wind days without resorting to motorsailing so often. The sailmaker advises me that going downwind, anything more than 140 deg apparent is too low (110 deg in light air), and I’ll lose all power from the sail. But in heavy air, I can go as high as 60-70 deg apparent, and as high as 35 deg apparent in light air, almost like a code zero, but with less area. So it’s a reaching sail. This advice has proven to be about right. I also tighten the tackline going upwind and loosen it going downwind.

As I don’t have another downwind sail, I find that going wing and wing with the spinnaker in light winds gives a dramatically faster VMG than doing gybing angles. Keeping it filled however is challenging, and I have to sail a little by the lee.

I use outside gybes and no spinnaker sock. It’s a little bit of a handful single- or doublehanded, but I pull the sail in under the boom and behind the main, and stuff it down the companionway. I have also been forced to tack at an upwind mark and just drop it on deck, with no problems so far.

What PHRF ratings did you end up after your appeal?

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2013
On the 310 you can see that downwind with spinnaker it is best to sail a deep reach (150 TWA) in breeze 12 knots or under. But over that, its 'down the hatch'!
Jackdaw,

Thanks for posting these polar diagrams. I have two questions: 1) It appears the 311 diagram is done for an asymmetrical spinnaker of some unknown design, and not a symmetrical spinnaker. Am I reading that correctly? 2) How did you determine that above 12 kn on the First 310 diagram the spinnaker should be taken down? Is it because the listed gybing angles, and presumably the best VMG, are at 180 deg?

Nov 8, 2010
Jackdaw,

Thanks for posting these polar diagrams. I have two questions: 1) It appears the 311 diagram is done for an asymmetrical spinnaker of some unknown design, and not a symmetrical spinnaker. Am I reading that correctly? 2) How did you determine that above 12 kn on the First 310 diagram the spinnaker should be taken down? Is it because the listed gybing angles, and presumably the best VMG, are at 180 deg?
Hey there,
1) Nope, for sure its drawn for an optimal downwind sail configuration, and that will be symmetrical. Why do you think asym?
2) The term 'down the hatch' means that you turn straight DDW (dead down wind). You can see the best downwind VMG is pretty much 180 on the 310, almost the same at the 311.

Aug 20, 2013
Hey there,
1) Nope, for sure its drawn for an optimal downwind sail configuration, and that will be symmetrical. Why do you think asym?
Jackdaw,

Where the certificate shows the sail areas, it says “asym. spinnaker”.

Are the numbers for true wind speed and true wind angle? I might put together a table for apparent wind speed and angle (my knotmeter impeller is frequently jammed with zebra mussels). Also, what are the numbers just above the table, such as GPH, OSN, and inshore and offshore TN?

Thanks!

Nov 8, 2010
Jackdaw,

Where the certificate shows the sail areas, it says “asym. spinnaker”.

Are the numbers for true wind speed and true wind angle? I might put together a table for apparent wind speed and angle (my knotmeter impeller is frequently jammed with zebra mussels). Also, what are the numbers just above the table, such as GPH, OSN, and inshore and offshore TN?

Thanks!
That's AWESOME I didn't see that. ;^) Yes indeed the ORC certificate will be done with the rated boats supplied sail plan. That boat used an ASYM. If you want I can look for a SYM boat.

Polars are always in TRUE wind unless it says otherwise.

Those GPH (General Purpose Handicap) number is a time/on/distance handicap that can be used for general racing. The 'T' numbers are time-on-time handicap for inshore (windward/leeward) or offshore (all points) courses.

PS - a common conversion between ORC and PHRF is GPH - 550 = PHRF

Aug 15, 2017
Dennis,

I have a Beneteau 311 with the regular keel and no centerboard. I have raced Footloose occasionally in club and regional races. I found that I had to move the car for the jib lead a few holes forward of what was recommended in the OEM sail/tuning guide, so just in front of the break in the non-skid pattern near the shrouds.. The bottom foot or two of the sail will look baggy along the lifeline, but the rest of the sail looks much better than when the car is further back. Also, when sailing at angles wider than a close reach, it really helps to sheet the jib to a block at the rail.

The jib lead angles are very wide on a 311, something like 13-14 deg, so don't try to point too high. Also, even with the regular bulb keel there is not that much lateral surface, so keep the boat moving or the leeway will be terrible, especially in lighter winds. I'm not sure how the centerboard to the keel compares on lateral area. In a drifter with an asymmetrical spinnaker up the boat will seem drift sideways on a reach as much as it moves forward. But if you can keep her moving you'll keep up with the others. My boat rates 153 PHRF on Lake Erie, 160 jib and main. The standard jib is 116%, so in PHRF a 311 is disadvantaged in lighter winds against boats with the standard PHRF 155% jib. Above about 8 knot apparent there is enough wind to keep up. I also find that I have to reef a little early, because leeway really picks up above 15 deg of heel. Reefiing is easy in a 311, so if you don't like the result it's quick to switch back. I'm going to have to rig a second reef this season. We had a lot sailing last fall in 20-35 knots apparent last fall.

Good luck!
How have you finished in the races you have entered? I'm curious

Aug 15, 2017
Dennis,
My boat was built in 2000, and I bought it a half dozen years ago from the original owner. The sails that came with Footloose were the original sails, and buying new sails helped a great deal, although getting the jib lead right took a couple seasons. I also bought a reaching asymmetrical spinnaker for lighter air days.

As built, the jib halyard is tied off at the mast, with no means to tension it. For a couple years I tied a loop in the halyard at knee level next to the mast and stood on it to get some tension, but last year I finally ran the jib and spinnaker halyards back to the winches on the cabin top. I also changed the arrangement of the main outhaul and ran it back to the cockpit, because it could not be adjusted at all underway. You might want to consider these improvements. I also took off the sail bag on the boom and replaced it with lazy jacks.

A Beneteau 311 is definitely a cruising boat and not a race boat like the First series, although the hull was originally designed for the Figaro I one design, single-handed, ocean racing class. There are YouTube videos of singlehanded sailors breaking out a spinnaker at 40 knots in the North Atlantic and take off skipping a cross the waves, but that version has a huge sail plan, a deep bulb keel with more ballast, water ballast also, and twin rudders. The 311's sail plan and ballast are dialed back considerably, and is largely designed for the Mediterranean and Caribbean charter fleet. The 311 sail plan is set up to be balanced and easy to handle, not sail with the leeward rail in the water and six people up to windward.

The 311 doesn't point as high as performance boats and has limited keel area, but it is easily driven, so for racing try to make the best use of that feature by keeping the boat moving and footing rather than pinching. Watching VMG on the GPS can provide some guidance on upwind and downwind angles. I find in regional races that I can point about as well as a good performing multihull, and if the apparent wind is 8 knots or better upwind I can usually keep up or pull ahead of the medium club racers in a regional race. The 311's real downfall is sailing dead downwind in light to moderate air, largely because of the small jib. Buoy racing in windward-leeward courses is especially tough. The 311 is better suited to distance racing or at least trips out and back to something or around the bay. On the other hand, I've had some long passages on Lake Erie where I've sailed downwind in 30 knots with a short, 6-8' following sea, sometimes at night, and the boat is very stable and comfortable, with no tendency to broach or round up like some IOR and older PHRF designs.

I, too, have been racing for many decades, with some success, but largely on others boats. The PHRF rating of the 311 should really be 10 or 12 numbers higher than what I have.
How have you fared when racing the 311? Where did you finish and what size fleets? Just curious

Aug 20, 2013
How have you fared when racing the 311? Where did you finish and what size fleets? Just curious
I’ve done four races in my boat (I mostly race on other peopke’s boats). In 2016, I did two club 10-15 nm races in little to no breeze with a rookie crew and got crushed. In 2017, I did two bigger deal regional races. In the first race, about 25 miles, I got a second in my JAM class against pretty good competition and with an experienced but pickup crew. I did the second race, an overnight, big deal regional race, in the doublehanded class, and got 4th out of 5 in my class, ten minutes out of 3rd after 40-50 miles. It was the first time my crew had raced in the boat, but we often race doublehanded on long races in his boat. We started in 25-30 kn and thunderstorms at dusk, but after midnight the wind died during a dead downwind leg and the two nearest competitors overtook us. The wind came back for a final upwind leg but we didn’t overtake anyone in our class. We did manage to pass a few 35-40 footers while short tacking between islands up the final leg, so it was a moral victory. We finished somewhere in the middle overall.

With the 18 second better PHRF rating you mentioned I would have picked up some places in that last race.

I’d like to do better this year, but the 2017 results were a big improvement over 2016. I’m sort of working towards some 200+ mile races on Lakes Huron and Michigan in 2 years, but I don't want to put serious racing money into what is mostly a cruising boat.

Do you have the 311’s manual and the original sail trim guides from Neil Pryde?

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017
Dennis, my asymmetrical is sort of a custom design, an A1.5, between an A1 and an A2. I wanted it for cruising around on lighter wind days without resorting to motorsailing so often. The sailmaker advises me that going downwind, anything more than 140 deg apparent is too low (110 deg in light air), and I’ll lose all power from the sail. But in heavy air, I can go as high as 60-70 deg apparent, and as high as 35 deg apparent in light air, almost like a code zero, but with less area. So it’s a reaching sail. This advice has proven to be about right. I also tighten the tackline going upwind and loosen it going downwind.

As I don’t have another downwind sail, I find that going wing and wing with the spinnaker in light winds gives a dramatically faster VMG than doing gybing angles. Keeping it filled however is challenging, and I have to sail a little by the lee.

I use outside gybes and no spinnaker sock. It’s a little bit of a handful single- or doublehanded, but I pull the sail in under the boom and behind the main, and stuff it down the companionway. I have also been forced to tack at an upwind mark and just drop it on deck, with no problems so far.

What PHRF ratings did you end up after your appeal?
They gave me a 198.

Aug 20, 2013
If you don't mind posting them it would be appreciated. I do have the original manual but nothing from Pryde.
Dennis,

Attached are the original Neil Pryde original sail trim guides. Sorry for the delay in posting them. I have been traveling so did not have access to the documents. I may have found these documents on this site some years ago.

I suggest using your judgement on using these exact settings, especially if your sails are not OEM., but it's a start. With my new jib, I found I had to move the jib lead 3-4 holes more forward than recommenced, for example. I also found that the boat likes to foot rather than point higher, especially in lighter wind. The keel doesn't really have enough lateral surface area. If you have sailed a dinghy to windward with the daggerboard partially up you will know what I mean.

If you or the forum have your own suggestions on how to more efficiently sail the 311, please being them up for discussion.

Also have the Charleston Spar manual on the mast and boom if you are interested.

Attachments