Racing a Beneteau 311 w/Fin Keel and Centerboard

Aug 15, 2017
Beneteau 311 Fort Walton Beach
Has anyone raced their 311 w/ Fin Keel and Centerboard? What rating system was used for your boat? What was/is your rating?

Also, do you have a recommendation for the car placement for the jib?

Aug 20, 2013
Beneteau 311 Port Clinton, OH (Lake Erie)
Dennis,

I have a Beneteau 311 with the regular keel and no centerboard. I have raced Footloose occasionally in club and regional races. I found that I had to move the car for the jib lead a few holes forward of what was recommended in the OEM sail/tuning guide, so just in front of the break in the non-skid pattern near the shrouds.. The bottom foot or two of the sail will look baggy along the lifeline, but the rest of the sail looks much better than when the car is further back. Also, when sailing at angles wider than a close reach, it really helps to sheet the jib to a block at the rail.

The jib lead angles are very wide on a 311, something like 13-14 deg, so don't try to point too high. Also, even with the regular bulb keel there is not that much lateral surface, so keep the boat moving or the leeway will be terrible, especially in lighter winds. I'm not sure how the centerboard to the keel compares on lateral area. In a drifter with an asymmetrical spinnaker up the boat will seem drift sideways on a reach as much as it moves forward. But if you can keep her moving you'll keep up with the others. My boat rates 153 PHRF on Lake Erie, 160 jib and main. The standard jib is 116%, so in PHRF a 311 is disadvantaged in lighter winds against boats with the standard PHRF 155% jib. Above about 8 knot apparent there is enough wind to keep up. I also find that I have to reef a little early, because leeway really picks up above 15 deg of heel. Reefiing is easy in a 311, so if you don't like the result it's quick to switch back. I'm going to have to rig a second reef this season. We had a lot sailing last fall in 20-35 knots apparent last fall.

Good luck!

Aug 15, 2017
Capitalist Sailor, thank you for taking time to offer some advice. I've been racing most all my life and am, for now, frustrated with this boats performance. We shall see....

Aug 20, 2013
Beneteau 311 Port Clinton, OH (Lake Erie)
Dennis,
My boat was built in 2000, and I bought it a half dozen years ago from the original owner. The sails that came with Footloose were the original sails, and buying new sails helped a great deal, although getting the jib lead right took a couple seasons. I also bought a reaching asymmetrical spinnaker for lighter air days.

As built, the jib halyard is tied off at the mast, with no means to tension it. For a couple years I tied a loop in the halyard at knee level next to the mast and stood on it to get some tension, but last year I finally ran the jib and spinnaker halyards back to the winches on the cabin top. I also changed the arrangement of the main outhaul and ran it back to the cockpit, because it could not be adjusted at all underway. You might want to consider these improvements. I also took off the sail bag on the boom and replaced it with lazy jacks.

A Beneteau 311 is definitely a cruising boat and not a race boat like the First series, although the hull was originally designed for the Figaro I one design, single-handed, ocean racing class. There are YouTube videos of singlehanded sailors breaking out a spinnaker at 40 knots in the North Atlantic and take off skipping a cross the waves, but that version has a huge sail plan, a deep bulb keel with more ballast, water ballast also, and twin rudders. The 311's sail plan and ballast are dialed back considerably, and is largely designed for the Mediterranean and Caribbean charter fleet. The 311 sail plan is set up to be balanced and easy to handle, not sail with the leeward rail in the water and six people up to windward.

The 311 doesn't point as high as performance boats and has limited keel area, but it is easily driven, so for racing try to make the best use of that feature by keeping the boat moving and footing rather than pinching. Watching VMG on the GPS can provide some guidance on upwind and downwind angles. I find in regional races that I can point about as well as a good performing multihull, and if the apparent wind is 8 knots or better upwind I can usually keep up or pull ahead of the medium club racers in a regional race. The 311's real downfall is sailing dead downwind in light to moderate air, largely because of the small jib. Buoy racing in windward-leeward courses is especially tough. The 311 is better suited to distance racing or at least trips out and back to something or around the bay. On the other hand, I've had some long passages on Lake Erie where I've sailed downwind in 30 knots with a short, 6-8' following sea, sometimes at night, and the boat is very stable and comfortable, with no tendency to broach or round up like some IOR and older PHRF designs.

I, too, have been racing for many decades, with some success, but largely on others boats. The PHRF rating of the 311 should really be 10 or 12 numbers higher than what I have.

Aug 15, 2017
You, sir, are a gem of a person. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I sail in Northwest Florida on Choctawhatchee Bay. This bay is renowned for its winds and conditions. We have just recently hosted the Viper Nationals. Lots of national events have come, and returned. I hope to "get it" soon on this Beneteau.

Again, many thanks....

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
My boat rates 153 PHRF on Lake Erie, 160 jib and main. The standard jib is 116%, so in PHRF a 311 is disadvantaged in lighter winds against boats with the standard PHRF 155% jib.
Lots of great advice in these two posts. PHRF ratings are really centered around race boats that fly spinnakers downwind. Regarding PHRF NFS (non-flying sails) ratings, most regional PHRF boards if they issue them put ZERO thought into them. The rating is supposed to describe the relative difference between a boat flying kites vs not, but it rarely does. Boats with non-overlapping (jib only) sail plans should get a bigger break, but 99% of the time do not. I would never ever race a boat with a non-overlapping rig (and I have one too!) non-spin, it would be WAY too frustrating.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017
One question to anyone viewing this thread.

Does anyone have the Polar for a 311? I would love to put my hands on one.

Aug 15, 2017
So that you know, I have all new sails. Done locally by Schurr Sails in Pensacola. Added an asymmetrical spinnaker to the boat. I started the spinnaker with an ATN sock but removed it for racing. I have configured everything that trims to the cockpit except the outhaul. That one is coming soon. I did appeal my PHRF and was successful - they gave me an additional 18 seconds. We shall see....

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
No problem. Boats that race with ORC rating in Europe will all have polars generated as part of their rating. I have access to the database.
Can you get the First 310 for me?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
On the 310 you can see that downwind with spinnaker it is best to sail a deep reach (150 TWA) in breeze 12 knots or under. But over that, its 'down the hatch'!