Racer not giving way

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
or do you give him an extra wide berth to be safe?
So why not give some racers a bit of breathing room?
I think you missed the point of the OP. The question was not should a cruiser avoid a race. He should if he can. The issue was what should happen when racers and cruisers happen to meet.

I'll turn your question a round - shouldn't the racer give the cruiser a lititle extra berth especially when it's his legal and moral responsibility to do so?

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Oh my, my, my! Gentlemen, very strong opinions here. I just read through this thread, and was amazed that I'm reading another lengthy string about Colregs, ROW, and choices. So if we bullheaded sailors choose to live by the vague tack rule of PORT-ABORT, STARBOARD-STAND on, what do you suppose happened here:

image.jpeg

Do you suppose that as the Starboard tacking captain of the lesser vessel you might have made a course correction, or assume that the Captain of the Port tacking greater vessel would have adjusted a bit earlier? I know what the hell I would have done...avoid collision and take a few awesome photos. Perhaps we should see sailboats involved in a congested racing event as a greater vessel than our own as recreational sailors. We should all sail considerately and assume nothing, as we are all in the same boat...literally!

Feb 13, 2016
macgreggor venture 224 ohio river
Geeees, I will never race if that gives me an attitude like that, nor will I approach racers on the water! :poke: besides all this thanks to those who have helped me!

Feb 13, 2016
Geeees, I will never race if that gives me an attitude like that, nor will I approach racers on the water! :poke: besides all this thanks to those who have helped me!

Feb 13, 2016
If I'm correct sailboats have right away vr's power boats and bigger sailboats have right away over small sailboats, "right" or is that a made up rule

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
It's funny how things change. Back in 2005, when I was a new member on SBO, I raised this very topic. The response was so gentlemanly and unlike the early responses this time around. I'm Scott, listed as a guest because of the format change in 2008.
http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/race-course-etiquette-for-daysailors.64516/
http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/race-course-etiquette-for-daysailors.64516/page-2
Notice how every single racer essentially said to "stand on" when on Stbd tack or otherwise have ROW?
I seem to have been much more polite in those days, too! :waycool:

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
FlyinHigh4U...My instructor had me solo for my first time at an EAA fly in. I was on short final...hangin 40 degrees of flap (Cessna 150) in a side slip trying to nail the numbers and some one I knew decided to taxi out on the active in his Ercoupe (the pattern was to the south) and proceed to depart to the north with no radio call. I sucked up the flaps...poured on the coals...and missed him by what my instructor told me was less than 50ft. This was all in front of an FAA representative. I had made all the appropriate calls (which was monitored by the FAA) but I still would have been dead. The good thing was that I had situational awareness and when he taxied out onto the active I didn't hesitate to take action to eliminate the threat of collision. The same goes for sailing. As soon as I perceive a threat, I already am forming Plan A, B, and sometimes C. I don't wait for the threat to get close before I'm changing my heading to avoid collision.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
@kimelmore - Quite a cool story, and something you will never forget (though I doubt anyone forgets their first solo). Please tell me it wasn't Oshkosh or Sun 'n Fun. I wouldn't wish that traffic pressure on anyone trying to solo.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
It seems odd to me that there is no system in place for organized races to not put out warnings to other watercraft that there will be a race being held at said location at said time like we have in aviation with the Notam system. If it were nothing more than a warning at least then the racers could say that other boaters should have known and tried to remain clear.
We have a set protocol for right of way in the air and it works very well, not perfect as no system is, but it works. While boating has a system as well it does not seem to be quite as effective. Probably many reasons for that from lack of understanding to total disregard.
Best bet is always to see and avoid. Yes there will probably be instances that your feathers get ruffled but as long as no fiberglass gets crumpled just mark it up to experience and move on.

Sam

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Isn't one required to have a horn? I normally keep mine attached in the cockpit in case a simple toot is needed. A toot would have strongly encouraged the racer to respond as to his intentions earlier on. Even when causal sailing on a small lake, I have had other sailors yell COURSE. That would have also solved the too close for comfort crossing, which a racer may consider normal.
This whole thread does make me chuckle a bit. I sail on by far the busiest lake in the country. Last Sunday was one of the busiest I've seen in quite a while. Most power boats are dodging me, but sometimes I'm dodging power boats. I'm not too worried about stand on and give way, we just all try not to hit each other. A good day sailing is to not hit anything or break anything. And since I don't get all hung up over it, I had a really good day sailing Sunday afternoon.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It seems odd to me that there is no system in place for organized races to not put out warnings to other watercraft that there will be a race being held at said location at said time like we have in aviation with the Notam system. Sam
Local Notice to Mariners published weekly by USCG. Most yacht clubs send notices to them re racing. Not mandatory but encouraged.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Local Notice to Mariners published weekly by USCG. Most yacht clubs send notices to them re racing. Not mandatory but encouraged.
How do you get these and I am guessing non coast Guard patrolled lakes do not post there.

Sam

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
... nor will I approach racers on the water!
Good idea!
My reading of the Post #1 is that the OP smugly crossed a race course, righteous in believing he had the mythical ROW. My interpretation may be erroneous. My point is that the cardinal rule should be: "behave courteously." Part of that rule would be: Don't sail in front of boats that are racing (unless you are part of the race).

If I'm correct sailboats have right away vr's power boats and bigger sailboats have right away over small sailboats...
You are incorrect in both cases. Do yourself and other boaters a huge favor: successfully complete a boaters safety class.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
It's funny how things change. Back in 2005, when I was a new member on SBO, I raised this very topic. The response was so gentlemanly and unlike the early responses this time around. I'm Scott, listed as a guest because of the format change in 2008.
http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/race-course-etiquette-for-daysailors.64516/
http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/race-course-etiquette-for-daysailors.64516/page-2
Notice how every single racer essentially said to "stand on" when on Stbd tack or otherwise have ROW?
I seem to have been much more polite in those days, too! :waycool:
I do not race anymore, but I did for 15 years. I always give way to a racing boat, regardless of who is on what tack. It is purely out of respect for what they are involved in. I am just tooling around and my not giving way could have an effect on the outcome of the race. I do not want that to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.