Racer not giving way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point

I don't think there is reason to put most racers in any one category.....
...in our waters, for the most part they are all really good and respectful sailors that do know the rules and follow them. With all the lobster pots, whale watching and fishing boats, PWC's, SUP's, kayaks, paddle teams etc.. to watch out for, when we are racing, everything is an obstacle to negotiate.
So what are human powered boats? I read them as powered vessels (they have power) and the COLREGS don't mention human powered craft specifically.

As LuzSD mentioned, SUPs, Kayaks, and the dang paddle teams seem to think it's fine to run boats right against the breakwater..

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I cannot understand why a person would object to giving way to another who is racing while they are just piddling around. Courtesy and common sense. There is a lot of talk about Colregs but if you want to make sure that Colregs apply to a collision between small pleasure boats make sure there is a fatality involved as otherwise insurance companies, local authorities and civil courts will be deciding the issues based on local Statutes of law. Do not think that a Marine Court of Inquiry will convene by the Feds to rule on your bent pulpit.

Jul 4, 2015
Hunter 34 Menominee, MI; Sturgeon Bay WI
So, anyone not racing is piddling around? Please clarify because I'm often racing the clock when passage making.

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
I cannot understand why a person would object to giving way to another who is racing while they are just piddling around.
Because the rules apply to both boats and both boats should be able to rely on the other following the rules - and plan and act accordingly. If the give way boat does not give way or the stand on boat does not stand on then neither boat can predict what the other is doing or will do. May as well not have any rules then. Then all we have is do what you can to avoid a collision. Another word for that is chaos.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
(Much as I'd like to see this thread go away, I'll reply anyway)

Eveybody - No sensible racer is ever going to deliberately plow into some cruiser, whether they are stand-on or not. None of the racers on this thread have suggested that. It just wouldn't make any sense, as it's unethical, expensive, and counter to the racer's goal to minimize their time.

All that's been said is that if someone with no particular hurry crosses racers, it's polite to make an early move to stay clear. How is this any different from saying that if I walk through a door in front of someone in a hurry I should hold it open for them? There's no rule about that, it's just courteous. And if person A doesn't hold the door for person B, then person B's opinion of person A might not be very nice, even if B is a perfectly nice guy. To carry the analogy further, if A is carrying a handful of stuff, it might be perfectly acceptable to not hold the door, just like a cruiser who's in a hurry or can't avoid the fleet for some other reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.