Race Report: WYC Frostbite Cup

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
The other thing I've been toying with is wearing Goretex shells over my sailing gloves. This used to be common practice ice climbing, since it gave two options. I have a nice leather palmed pair I don't use climbing ice much anymore (I've started wearing thinner gloves for that).

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The other thing I've been toying with is wearing Goretex shells over my sailing gloves. This used to be common practice ice climbing, since it gave two options. I have a nice leather palmed pair I don't use climbing ice much anymore (I've started wearing thinner gloves for that).
That's worth looking into. Jodi does that same thing in her endless quest for warm hands. She usually goes the other way, wearing merino wool liners in her winter sailing gloves.

Nov 8, 2010
The 360 view on the Hero 8 sounds interesting, would add a whole new perspective about where other boats were during the race. Is using a follow me drone legal while racing?
Actually the 360 view is from a different camera. Used to be called the Fusion... think it has a new name now. Cameras like this use two 180-degree fisheye cameras and stitch a 360 together. I have a cheap one a bought a few years back. The results can be OK, but it takes so long to make videos that it mostly sits. I've heard the Fusion SW has the same issue. Anyway here is a video. Its kinda fun it you watch it on your phone and pan around by moving your phone.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Its kinda fun it you watch it on your phone and pan around by moving your phone.
Cool video. I watched it on my iPhone 8+ and it didn't pan so not sure what happened there although I took a screen grab of a kinda freaky big wave following you. ;)

Jackdaw360-2.PNG

I made an error when I referred to the Hero 8, it's actually the GoPro "MAX" that has the 360 feature(s) - 6 mics as well as the camera and a bunch of other cool stuff. I think I see a new camera in my future!

Nov 8, 2010
Cool video. I watched it on my iPhone 8+ and it didn't pan so not sure what happened there although I took a screen grab of a kinda freaky big wave following you. ;)

View attachment 171543

I made an error when I referred to the Hero 8, it's actually the GoPro "MAX" that has the 360 feature(s) - 6 mics as well as the camera and a bunch of other cool stuff. I think I see a new camera in my future!
That’s weird, and wrong. There must be something wrong or up with your YouTube player. If you watch it in full screen you get to see whatever you’re looking at, and turn in your head or phone will pan the thing and 360°. It’s even much cooler with a set a virtual reality goggles for your phone.

Here I’ve pans back to watch a J27 behind us
38F03F43-C4ED-4457-B55C-79A5844E25C0.png

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I have held off on the IOS 13-x upgrade until they work the last of the kinks out so maybe that has something to do with it. I don't have a Youtube account and I'm just tapping on play from within Safari so I'm not totally sure if the YouTube app is actually playing the video.

I can pan around with my computers browser so I do get the idea, just not working on my phone

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
That’s weird, and wrong. There must be something wrong or up with your YouTube player. If you watch it in full screen you get to see whatever you’re looking at, and turn in your head or phone will pan the thing and 360°. It’s even much cooler with a set a virtual reality goggles for your phone.

Here I’ve pans back to watch a J27 behind us
View attachment 171544
I think the difference is that it needs to be viewed in the actual YouTube app, not just the embedded web page view. When I just view it in the webpage it looks like what Hunter216 sees. Unfortunately I don’t see a way to quickly open it in YouTube from the web player view. Would need to use the three dots on the thumbnail to save it to “Watch Later”, then open the app and open the video from there.

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Could you speak a little on crew task division, it is something I find good skippers are great at. Each crew member feeding info to helm and skipper. I would love to hear your process

Nov 8, 2010
Could you speak a little on crew task division, it is something I find good skippers are great at. Each crew member feeding info to helm and skipper. I would love to hear your process
@Grotto let me give a full answer tomorrow. Awesome question!

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
one of the things I learned, is to write down ALL the tasks and step-by-step for each maneuver. Amazing what you can learn by that simple exercise. The crew then has clear expectations in the sequence, as well as if they can learn what is happening at the rest of the boat, and how they are fitting into the whole.

Tuning in for JD's version.

Nov 8, 2010
Of course the first things is having a clear break-down of roles and assignments. This lets every crew member know what there job is, and how and when to do it.

Like most spin boat, these are the basics roles, some overloaded (one person doing more than one):
Driver
Tactics
Main trim
Headsail trim
Spin Trim
Pit
Bow

We typically sail with 4, so lots of overload! Now on every boat I own/drive, we create a playbook of all maneuvers. Beyond helping everyone walk through the steps, it allows a new crew member to come up to speed quickly. Here is the Blue J playbook.

Now. Every crew member is a member of one or more ‘teams’. Same for every boat, that are:

Speed Team
Maneuvers team
Tactics Team

The Speed team (driver, trimmers) have a feedback loop about BOAT SPEED. Trim, heel, helm feel, etc. We constantly talk about that, and that only. They will ask how the helm feels, and I’ll tell them if I can feel the need for more/less trim in the front to back of the sailplan.

The maneuvers team (pit, bow) while going up and down wind talk about wind (puff/lulls), and adverse boat traffic. Adverse means boats that can effect us, either because rules, or wind.

The tactics team talks about boats and changes to the breeze. Get around the fastest.

Normally on Blue J its quiet. While upwind the trimmers and I are quietly talking about trim, with the maneuvers team calling in wind.

Last edited:

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Having been fill in crew many times, I would have loved to have a playbook. The typical briefing is you are on “pit” “trim” or “help where needed” e.g. rail meat. Trying to integrate with regular crew can be frustrating when the roles are not really defined.

Nov 8, 2010
Having been fill in crew many times, I would have loved to have a playbook. The typical briefing is you are on “pit” “trim” or “help where needed” e.g. rail meat. Trying to integrate with regular crew can be frustrating when the roles are not really defined.
That's the primary reason we wrote it, and also have imbedded the videos of the maneuvers. We want new crew to get up to speed ASAP. And as @Apex notes, there is huge value in simply going through the process to document the whole deal.