Quick quiz suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ed Schenck

Hi Phil, Here’s an idea for the weekly “Quick Quiz”. Every year about this time we have the “southerners”, both East and West, commiserating with us “northerners” because they are sailing and we ain’t. But how many sailors would actually relocate to extend their season? Most of the New Englanders and Northwesterners that I know couldn’t be dynamited out of their regions. Is the urge to sail stronger than roots, family, climate, and love of current sailing grounds? This assumes, of course, that the economics would support a relocation. Not sure how you could post this. Just a thought.

E

Ernie

Here's one....

HELL YES, I'D GO IN A SECOND !!! (economics aside, $$$ is a strong glue)

C

cold and snowy in DC...

ditto

I'd go but for the $$$ in the Northeast. If they'd pay more in Florida I would aready be there...

G

Greg Stebbins

Wait! Wait! Can't give up those beautiful coasts

Stay up there guys! Think of the cultural crud you'll be giving up. All that old rusty historical stuff! There's no way you could be happy in the south. Stay there! Pay all those taxes you're all so fond of. We hold down the fort here and muddle through as best we can. Remember, we southerners really envy you guys! :) Greg

R

Rick Webb

It is Cheaper to Live Down Here

It is going to take somthing mighty powerful to get me to move north of I-10. Though I might consider Charlston or Savanah. Even though the wages are a bit lower than some parts of the country our cost of living is alot lower. Somthing else to consider.

T

TOM MCNAMARA

PRIT--------SOON

AS AN OWNER OF A 1999--450 AND LIVING ABOARD IT HURTS MORE NOW SINCE I HAVE A SAILBOAT. IM NOT MUCH OF A SAILOR YET BUT WILL BE. IT IS NOT JUST THE THOUGHT OF SAILING AS MUCH AS IT IS JUST HANGIN HERE. I HAVE OIL HEAT AND LOOK FOWARD TO GOING TO FILL UP AND GO FOR A RIDE,BUT ONCE EVERYTHING FREEZES UP I HAVE TO RUN 5 GAL JOHNNY CANS. I DONT THINK FLORIDA ,BUT THE ISLANDS HOW IS THE COST OF LIVING THERE "_MCBUBBA720@AOL.COM." LOOKING FOWARD TO MOVING. LIVED ON A 38FT TRAWLER FOR AWHILE BUT SAILING IS MORE FUN NOW THAT WE HAVE ALL THESE NEW TOYS

T

TOM MCNAMARA

QUIC----QUIZE

WHAT THE HELL IS "COMMISERATING" SOUNDS LIKE A BLISTER YOU GET WHILE RATING COBBLE STONES

E

Ed Schenck

Wait, wait!

Let's have the quiz first. You guys are no help, Phil needs multiple choice answers. Here's my contribution: If economics could be solved, would you relocate to have more sailing months? o Would go in a heartbeat! (But why haven't you?) o Part time, never permanently. o Part time, permanently someday. o Like where I am.

T

Tom Hultberg

Do bears S__t in the woods...

I'd go in a minute. WHo's kidding who? Just returned from a sailing trip in Tampa bay to minus 10 and two feet of snow. Where do I sign up!

C

Claude L.-Auger

Been there, Done that

Done it and lived on Gulf Coast for 2 years, been back up North for two, would do it again if circumstances were right. Would be interesting to know how many of those southerners are tranplants.

B

Boston Native

It would be like moving to a different country

Without trying to re-fight the civil war (still going on in parts of the south)we might head south, but only after the kids are out of school. The education system in the north (out side of boston) is hard to duplicate in the south ( I lived in Missouri and Mississippi for a short while as a kid) We also want the kids exposed to a more open environment (read liberal) and the cultural opportunities in the northeast. And then there is the whole issue of the accent. Besides we still have the best sailing (even if it is only for 5 months a year) Besides we want ot be around when the Red Sox's win the series this year.

G

Greg Stebbins

Ha! Been there & Done That!! & Boston!?

Wife and I are both Yankees. NY & Pa. Would not even consider going back. I've been to Boston. Accents, please! I've even be to Harvard (the women didn't shave their legs but the men did!). Would NOT care to return, I'm sending my kids to A&M or Rice (maybe Stanford). Culture? H*ll, we gott'a s*itload! :) Greg

C

Captain Pete

Boston,Boston.....open up.

Boston...Puuuuleeeeze!......drop your prejudices and stereotyping("civil War,etc")I lived in your area for 18 years and have lived in numerous cities around the U.S.Been here in the Atlanta area for 8 and don't plan to move again.I've found the people here to be warm,friendly,honest, genuine,and without the "closet prejudices"and narrowmindedness that I found in Boston.Not criticizing,just an observation.This area is a mix of people from all over the U.S.and the world creating a wonderful blend of diverse cultures.Although its cold now with some snow,Sunday will bring temps in the 50s and a day sail on Lake Lanier.Will send some thoughts your way and hope that you will expand your mind a bit and look for the good features everywhere you may travel.There's a whole wonderful world waiting for you to take advantage if you will shed the barriers.Good sailing to you after the spring thaw.

R

Rick Webb

First Thing Y'all Must Learn

There was no such thing as the "Civil War". Refering to such will give you away as a "Damn Yankee", Yankees just come to visit Damn Yankees come down, stay, and then try to change things. When referring to that conflict it is known as "The War of Northern Aggression". We had bumper stickers a while back that said "Keep Texas Beutiful, Put a Yankee on the Bus"

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

I hate to break it to you, Boston...but

Things have changed quite a bit in the South since you were a kid. We wear shoes now, and not only do we have indoor plumbing, but most places are even air conditioned in the summer. I was born in the South, to southern parents...lived in Michigan for 10 years after college...and moved to Atlanta 25 years ago. Public schools in the South are no better or worse than public schools in the north...I haven't noticed Boston--or anywhere in the MA--getting any rave reviews for it's public education system either. I don't think it's possible to find a MORE "liberal environment" than exists here--it was the home of Martin Luther King and the birthplace of the civil rights movement, and is still the center of the civil rights movement...and San Francisco is the only U.S. city with a larger gay population. But I don't think we've had a lynching in at least a couple of weeks. We are a little backward in some ways, though...our children--except for the carpebaggers' kids--still say "yes ma'am" and "no sir" to grown ups...there are still neighborhoods where neighbors actually know each other...people still have ethical and moral values--at least the southerners do, although the carpetbaggers from the north don't seem to bring many with them.... Unions have never really caught on down here--there are some, but not enough and they don't have enough power to let us enjoy the crippling strikes you northerners do. And our property values & real estate taxes are WAAAAY behind yours. For what you could sell your house for, you'd prob'ly have to figure out how furnish another 2,000 square feet...AND buy a riding lawn mower to keep the grass cut on the half acre + it would sit on. Yep...the South IS pretty backward....so maybe you just better stay put.

D

Dick McKee

WOW !!! You right coast folks are intense...

Just came in sailing, got too cold when it dropped to 75 BURRRRR, and decided to check the HOW site.. To us on the Left coast sounds like you folks are still fightin the war!!

G

Gary Wyngarden

Dick! Shhhhh!

These Easterners clearly don't know there's wonderful sailing out here west of the Rockies. We need to leave them in the dark. And getting back to the original question, yes, we did move out here from the midwest for the sailing. No regrets. Gary Wyngarden S/V Shibumi H335

D

Dick Vance

South Is Terrible Place To Sail!!

The South is a just awful place for sailing, boating or just anything!! I would recommend anyone considering coming here just stay put and leave us to suffer. The water is too clear; the winds are too good; food is too great; it's too warm; dockage is too cheap; taxes are too low; people are too friendly; and worst of all, there are still places that aren't crowded enough! Somedays you can go sailing and hardly see another boat and even find an anchorage to yoursel! Where 's the fun in that!! Why, I once sailed from Key West to Fort Myers and only saw one other boat! I crossed Pamlico Sound and didn't even see one! Even worse, I've found areas where you had a beach to yourself; a solitary campsite in the mountains; a fishing spot with no other anglers to cross lines with and even a parking place at the mall! Of course, there are crowded areas for those who want to be crowded! The worst part of the South is that in the past 30 years too many people have discovered it's better than the place they were and now there all here!! Lest we turn this thread into an "Us" and "Them" discussion, there's two points worth considering: Wherever you live, there's no place like home; We are all Americans! Y'all come back now, ya heah? Dick Vance H-25.5 "Honey Bear"

J

Jule & Carl Dupre

'quick quiz suggestion' suggestion

All these hostile vibes! We suggest Inter-galactic peace to all, Happy Holidays and good seas for good seasons.... Jule & Carl Dupre s/v H340 Syzygy

Status
Not open for further replies.