Questions Regarding Freshwater Pump

May 29, 2021
Cascade 42 Sitka
The freshwater pump on my sailboat is leaking and needs to be replaced. Is this replacement as "simple" as finding a new pump that is compatible with my freshwater plumbing and electrical system, disconnecting the old pump, and swapping in the new? Any wisdom on doing this swap, or particularly reputable pumps? Need vs. no-need of an accumulator tank? I have three sinks and a raw-water marine head on-board, though really only mainly use the one sink, and may remove the other two altogether if/when i do some more extensive remodeling. So high-capacity isn't a huge concern for me (though i do want to try to improve the shower facilities on-board at some point).

Thanks!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
............ Is this replacement as "simple" as finding a new pump that is compatible with my freshwater plumbing and electrical system, disconnecting the old pump, and swapping in the new? Any wisdom on doing this swap, or particularly reputable pumps? Need vs. no-need of an accumulator tank?..............
First question is yes, it should be a plug and play as long as the fittings and electrical requirements are the same. Lots of pumps 11 Best Marine Fresh Water Pumps Reviewed & Rated in 2021 (marinetalk.com) I have a Jabsco on Hunter 46 and on my Symbol 50. Neither have a accumulator tank. You find this article helpful: Pressurized Freshwater Systems | West Marine .
1622651003176.png

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Shurflo makes great pumps, though you may be able to get seals and parts for the one you have, it may not be worth the effort for the cost of a replacement at $125-150. Plug and play with correct fittings, yes. A 1 gallon Groco PST-1 tank is well worth it if you can make it fit somewhere as it reduces the cycling dramatically and thus the life of the pump, just as those of us with wells in our homes know.

Make sure you protect that pump with a filter/strainer on the intake side.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Sounds like my pump/accumulator system is a thing of the past. If mine ever goes, I'll be updating the pump and removing the accumulator.

May 29, 2021
Cascade 42 Sitka
Sounds like my pump/accumulator system is a thing of the past. If mine ever goes, I'll be updating the pump and removing the accumulator.

are you saying that the pumps being released these days have been designed so as to negate the need for an accumulator?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
are you saying that the pumps being released these days have been designed so as to negate the need for an accumulator?
The Shurflo fresh water pump that I recently replaced, after 14 years, does not use an accumulator. Parts to rebuild the pump were available; however, cost to rebuild was approximately 2/3 the cost of a new pump, so I replaced the entire pump. I selected a new pump based on voltage, amps, and gpm as well a pump that was similar in configuration. The model that I replaced was no longer available; however, the new pump was comparable to the old pump. Basically plug & play.

May 29, 2021
Cascade 42 Sitka
The Shurflo fresh water pump that I recently replaced, after 14 years, does not use an accumulator. Parts to rebuild the pump were available; however, cost to rebuild was approximately 2/3 the cost of a new pump, so I replaced the entire pump. I selected a new pump based on voltage, amps, and gpm as well a pump that was similar in configuration. The model that I replaced was no longer available; however, the new pump was comparable to the old pump. Basically plug & play.

would you mind letting me know the model of Shurflo you purchased? Or if it wasn't a Shurflo, what it was you selected?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Interesting about not needing an accumulator tank. I was under the impression one was needed but since my Shurflow pump only turns on when a faucet is opened, I wasn't sure why.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I think my tank may not be working right. My pump will kick on occasionally by itself

Accumulator Tank: A sealed air chamber combined with a water reservoir provides expansion volume to reduce pump cycling from minor pressure changes and give a steady flow. Larger tanks can store enough water to eliminate pump cycles when modest amounts of water are needed. Until a few years ago, this was the last word for functional pressure water systems aboard.

May 29, 2021
Cascade 42 Sitka
my (limited) understanding of the purpose of these accumulator tanks was that they were intended precisely for the elimination of the pump having to cycle on every time an outlet was opened--is this inaccurate? it seems they were meant to store pressurized water, therefore reducing the frequency of work the pump itself was required to do, and subsequently lessening overall wear and tear on the pump. Which is why i wonder that if i have the space for a tank, might it not be a smart thing to have even if purchasing a new pump?

May 29, 2021
Cascade 42 Sitka
My pump seems to come on every time regardless.
EVERY time you turn on a faucet? My existing pump, which is leaking and therefore the system is subpar in terms of its pressurization, doesn't come on every time i use the water. it only comes on when i use enough water so as to reduce the system pressure. it seems the pump should not be coming on every time, though perhaps some are designed to do so? i know essentially nothing.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
EVERY time you turn on a faucet? My existing pump, which is leaking and therefore the system is subpar in terms of its pressurization, doesn't come on every time i use the water. it only comes on when i use enough water so as to reduce the system pressure. it seems the pump should not be coming on every time, though perhaps some are designed to do so? i know essentially nothing.
Seems like every time. I have to pay attention next time I'm out there. I'm in the same boat :wink:, I don't know how these systems are supposed to work.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
If the pump turns on every time a faucet is cracked open just a bit then the accumualtor tank is not working and probably is no longer pressurized. If it is working properly, the tank will maintain the water pressuse for a short period of time after a faucet is opend - the pump doesn't sense enough loss in pressure to turn on. The idea being to reduce the amount of time/cycles the pump has to run, especially for small amounts of water. Apparently, the new variable speed pumps don't need and work better without an accumulator tank.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
It doesn't take much water use for the pump to kick on without an accumulator. Its normal in that type of system for the pump to run most of the time while the water is running to maintain pressure and flow. Manufacturers design modern pumps to alter the pump speed depending on the demand, whereas older systems with accumulators pumped at one speed, which required an accumulator tank to maintain sufficient system pressure when using multiple faucets, etc. Now, if your pump occasionally runs while all water is shut off, then you have a leak somewhere which is slowly dripping out and dropping the pressure in the lines, thereby causing the pump to cycle on to repressurize, drip more water out, cycle on to repressurize, etc. Finding the leak is a whole other subject.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It doesn't take much water use for the pump to kick on without an accumulator. Its normal in that type of system for the pump to run most of the time while the water is running to maintain pressure and flow. Manufacturers design modern pumps to alter the pump speed depending on the demand, whereas older systems with accumulators pumped at one speed, which required an accumulator tank to maintain sufficient system pressure when using multiple faucets, etc. Now, if your pump occasionally runs while all water is shut off, then you have a leak somewhere which is slowly dripping out and dropping the pressure in the lines, thereby causing the pump to cycle on to repressurize, drip more water out, cycle on to repressurize, etc. Finding the leak is a whole other subject.
This is a very good explanation in English layman's language as to how things work.
The newer variable speed pumps had their teething troubles when they first appeared on the markets. Catalina used them on their new C355s and had nothing but problems with them until Jabsco figured it out - I don't recall the details but know from being a respondent on their Google Group - they are our C34 sister boats with the same layout down below with an aft head and our C34IA manages their membership and Mainsheet magazine subscriptions.
IIRC, the WM Advisor used to explain this stuff pretty well, I haven' read it in a long time, though.
I selected a new pump based on voltage, amps, and gpm
You also need to match the pressure (psi), so as to not blow your lines off their hose clamps. For example, you don't want a washdown pump used for regular faucet water.