Fresh Water Accumulator Analysis

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I had my 0.6 literJabsco® Water Accumulator develop a drip at the bladder air fill stem. The only way to get water there…
Bladder leak.

I searched web and SBO forum to find a replacement bladder. No luck for my unit. SBO search revealed 2 popular brands Shurflo® and Jabsco®. I focused on Jabsco because of direct easier piping fit for me. It appears it was OEM installed.

After investigating , I encountered several items to consider in a replacement. I read the sales propaganda which I won’t bore you with, but let your read if you want.

How accumulators fit in a fresh water system and propaganda. [Link update]
https://www.xylem.com/siteassets/brand/flojet/resources/manual/30573_81000-584.pdf

SBO primary responses…
  1. Pulsation damping (only on diaphragm type fresh water pumps)
  2. Pressurized water storage (accumulator)
  3. Energy savings (wellllll it might charge the Admirals iPad;)) (sales stuff)
  4. Noise, Chatter, smoother faucet flow (not so much, for me, opinion stuff on what those terms mean to each owner)
Why have a bladder with pressurized air?

Just like your auto tires, bumpy road pulsing cushion.
If air didn’t slowly dissolve in water, then no bladder is needed in a vertical mounted position (air trap) with say 1/4 full of air. BTW this would be smoother damping than the bladder.
You could also just stuff a say 4” wheel barrow inner tube, inflated to 10-30 psi inside your accumulator for same effect. Taste of water, maybe bad from different rubber types.

Mounting Position…
As long as the bladder has air pressurization, Vertical, Horizontal, or any angle NO effect. If there is Air trapped on the water side, it will eventual dissolve or be pumped out.

Size of Accumulator…
Many SBO responder said they had NO accumulator and didn’t have a problem. Many say they got benefits when they installed one.
Typical size was 0.6 and 1 liter. Perhaps over thinking this, but for me, I don't see major size benefits on typical 1 or 4 crew sailboats. Just like a house, too many simultaneous users will drop the pressure and flow.

Taking the 1 liter size as example. Your water pump has a pressure switch, lets say for example..
High pressure 40 psi… STOP
Low
pressure 10 psi... START
Starting your sink flow to fill a pint (guess but could be calculated or measured) of water, you might get that pint of water before the pressure drops to 10 psi starting pump again. You can measure this by turning off the water pump breaker and measure the volume the water ,at the sink, until no flow. That is the accumulator benefit, with less pump start/stop and thus the saving of DC motor start energy.:rolleyes:

Pressure of air on Bladder…
I did notice that Jabsco® came pre-charged (inflated) 10 psi versus Shurflo® 30 psi and both say you can change that pressure. Simple analysis says "What is your pump pressure switch set at?", but the designers figured in bladder flex/life and air volumes for there accumulator.
I wonder how many of us check our bladder inflation pressure?:rolleyes:
If you are curious, check your own boat at different bladder pressures. The inflation stem is same for tires.

Bladder leak repair…
My Jabsco® bladder is made from EPDM rubber which is used for fish pond liners or roofs. I may try a pond liner repair patch if the leak is not at a seam or valve stem, inspired by the repair folks here.

Accumulator as a Pressure Regulator…
At least on my set up, which is the same as shown on the Jabsco® link above…
There is no pressure regulation by the Accumulator. The pump pressure switch controls pressure between high and low settings.

Elimination of an Accumulator…
I saw many positive comments about NOT having one. Also, the newer variable speed water pumps, they say, don’t need one.

BTW I read many of the comments that have been made by @woodster , @kloudie1 , @justsomeguy and many others from various posts , I am summarizing similar comments by them with a bit of "mad science":biggrin: thrown in.

I also looked at other Info Links, like West Marine but not much there.

This was done to put most info I found into a single post.
Jim...

PS: recently updated links

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
If the pump doesn't bother you when it runs, Jim, ya could fab a spacer and take out the accumulator .. then decide if ya want to pitch it or patch it or replace it. http://www.adventurerv.net/shurflo-...rtsfeed_ppc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=Froogle
I think you've summed up the thing pretty well.. Ya may be able to get a small piece of EPDM sheet from a rubber supply place .. I am surprised you can't get a part from the manufacturer..
I have been on a boat for a few days that had an old single diaphragm crank-arm operated pump and it sounded like a small automatic weapon when it cycled on.. That guy put an accumulator on and the pump was still annoying as hell but it ran a lot less often.. Eight years ago, I put in an early model variable speed pump and I have been very happy with it.. BUT it really does not have a lot of use yet and some folks have mentioned very early failure of both major brands. Mine is a ShurFlo Smart Sensor extreme 4.0..

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I just installed my Shurflo accumulator tank but have not completed all the plumbing to pressurize the system yet. This is an entirely new install for me, not a replacement. After reading neg comments about variable speed pumps, I decided not to go that route. I also saw the comments about accumulator not being necessary, but I already bought it and can't see any downside. I installed it after a tee to feed the water heater. Somebody made the comment that the heater already buffers the pressure for the hot water outlet, so no need to install accumulator ahead of the heater. BTW, I wasn't crazy about the plastic male threads on the accumulator. I'm using PEX with Sharkbite connectors. The 1/2" female adaptor did not thread smoothly, and it almost appeared that the connection was off alignment. I made a couple of attempts with Teflon tape and finally torqued it pretty hard with a wrench to get about a full turn more after it went about all I could turn by hand, which barely had it on. I'm a little worried that I stripped the threads on my first attempt or that I don't have enough threaded.

Last edited:

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Could there be a thread mismatch with British straight thread and US tapered or the other way a round?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I have had one for about ten years. The Sureflo guys said I didn't need it. And, they were certainly right. The plus to me is not having the pump cycle every time at night or day that we use just a small amount of water.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
ya could fab a spacer and take out the accumulator
I will take is out for inspection. @Rich Stidger has inspired me to fix stuff first, before chunking it and maybe saving $80.

You could also just stuff a say 4” wheel barrow inner tube, inflated to 10-30 psi inside
The 4-6" inner tube would work too, but they are butyl rubber and would be like drinking out of an old garden hose. Although we seldom drink our water, we do cook with it, not exactly cajun cooking spice.:p

kloudie1 your link's Shurflo® was pre-charged to 20 psi and not 30 psi.:confused:

I just emailed Jabsco. duh... they might have a spare bladder at the factory.:redface:

I'm using PEX with Sharkbite connectors. The 1/2" female adaptor did not thread smoothly
I looked up Sharkbite®, interesting.:waycool: I am surprised that a PVC bushing to female thread didn't work. My tip would be to never use Teflon® tape (thread lube) on plastic fittings. The only thing I have ever found in my fresh water strainer was OEM or PO Teflon® tape. Not good for diaphragm pumps.

The Accumulator/pulsation dampers are used industrially to reduce piping vibrations or shocks. I would think an Accumulator might help reduce minor leaks at fittings, over time.
Jim...

PS: If repairable I will probably use this...
https://www.amazon.com/CoFair-Produ...69443302&sr=8-1&keywords=pond+liner+patch+kit

for you kloudie1 I would recommend this...
https://www.amazon.com/Denture-Dura...9443369&sr=8-31&keywords=pond+liner+patch+kit
:cowbell:

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I use a Shurflo w/o an accumulator. One less thing to break. The Shurflo works for me; however, I only have one head/shower and there is only one person onboard, rarely two. If you have a large crew, I could see where an accumulator would be beneficial.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Wow, I just realized this is a 7 year old thread that @BigEasy resurrected! Ha, ha, ha, got me!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Wow, I just realized this is a 7 year old thread that @BigEasy resurrected! Ha, ha, ha, got me!
I must be losing it. I don't know how I even got to that thread from 7 years ago. Thought that I was commenting on subject matter from "recent replies!" :facepalm: