Questions Regarding Electroscan and My Current State of Mystification

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Replace the complete pump assembly (the PHII pump housing has never changed) if your budget can stand it ...that's what I'd do. It WILL fit your base, so all you'll have to remove and replace the bolts that attach it. This retailer has it for the best price: Boatersland Raritan PHII Complete Pump Assembly Without looking at a schematic of it, I'm not certain that the piston rod is included, so it may also be necessary to replace that too. So I still want you talk to Jerry in tech support at Raritan. Once you have it installed, the PHII will provide at least 20 years of reliable trouble-free service if you just keep it well lubricated, replace the joker valve at least annually--every 6 months if you live aboard and also work from "home" (read the chapter "Joker Valve 101" in my book for the reason why it's important to replace it that often) and put a rebuild kit in it (PHIIRKC) every 5-6 years.

You definitely need to replace all the hoses too...and Raritan SaniFlex RaritanSaniFlex hose is the best choice. It's proven to be 100% odor permeation resistant (now has a 10 yr warranty against it) and has the added advantage of being so flexible it can be bent almost as tight as a hairpin without kinking, which makes most re-hosing jobs a LOT easier! Defender has it for < $10/ft and also sells it by the foot Raritan Sani / Flex Sanitation Hose at Defender You'll need 1.5" for this toilet...same for the holding tank (if there is one) pumpout line You can get away with Shields or Trident #148 flex pvc (the cheapest hose) for toilet intake line (3/4").

Does the boat have a holding tank in addition to the defunct LectraSan? If not, you'll have to add one...If it does, is it plastic or metal? If metal, you'll want to replace it with a plastic tank 'cuz if it's not leaking already, urine is so corrosive that it will be soon. We can discuss that after you have a working toilet.

TallyHo said:

The LectraSan/ElectroScan is NOT a toilet, Greg....it's a USCG certified Type I MSD (treatment device) into which a toilet --any toilet--flushes and can be used instead of a holding tank in all US waters where the discharge of TREATED was is legal, so it cannot be replaced WITH a toilet! This is what all Raritan treatment devices of all ages look like: Raritan ElectroScan Promo Sheet You might also consider picking up a copy of my book 'cuz all this is explained in detail in it.

--Peggie
Got it, and I have your book. But I am on the Great Lakes and cannot discharge anything…so no need for an MSD (or to be up to speed on them really ;-). But thanks for the education.

Greg

May 29, 2021
Cascade 42 Sitka
Is a shower plumbed to the same holding tank/treatment system as the head? As i will be living aboard full time, i do want to try to make some improvements to the shower--i don't expect the same level of luxury as can be found in a land-based home, though would like to explore options for slightly more comfortable showering than what is currently onboard (a tiny bathroom space with a handheld shower head).

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
In most locations, gray water (shower and sinks) can be discharged overboard. No need to plumb them into a holding tank.

A shower sump / bilge pump usually has to be turned on to empty the shower water overboard…at least on my O’Day 322.

Greg