Questionable Ethics for a Water Ballast Boat

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I recently read a thread where someone asked how to keep the water in the ballast tank from getting too "funky".

In that thread several people (myself included) recommended adding pool shock chemicals to the tank.

Here is my question... if you keep your boat in a slip, and have pool shock chlorine in your ballast tank... do you think it would help to keep bottom growth off of your boat if you left the tank valve open just a little bit when you leave the boat?:oops:

Yes! I know! Ethically questionable but... do you think it would work. I'm not really willing to test the idea but I am dreadfully curious.

And of course, you would have to remember to close the tank before going sailing.

Ross S

Oct 20, 2011
Precision 21 Great Sacandaga Lake
Agreed, ethically bad. I suspect that it'd have little to no effect except for possibly in a localized area near the discharge. I'd have to think it'd dilute to almost useless levels fairly quickly.

Just my opinion.

Jan 19, 2010
Yes I agree that dilution would be the limiter here but one thing I do know is that diffusion is a lot slower than most people realize. And in a lake with no current, I suspect it may stick around a bit longer.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Rob, I cannot believe you did not ask me. Now you owe me a cup of grog. No make it two since you will be working for the competition. No make it three since you are not back home. Could go on but will insist hearing from you or guard dog will get ya. Ha
D08A16DC-F362-4528-973F-363CA51465B9.jpeg

Jul 26, 2017
MacGregor Venture of Newport 23 Aldie, Virginia. Chesapeake Ba
There's another way.
You could hire a high school kid or an out-of-work person to clean your hull. That's cool. You're being a good neighbor, a good guy, helping a kid learn work ethics and rewards, helping some out-of-work person feed his or her family.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I don't think it would help much but how much "shock" are you talking about. The boatbath people claim that a moderate amount of chlorine is relatively harmless.

I am not a promoter or user of their product.

From their website:

Hull Maintenance and environmental law

It is clear most antifouls which contain biocides and copper to stop growth are harmful to humans and the environment.

As a boatowner it is difficult to assess the impact of these chemicals and scrubbing your boat in the water - so we have done the work for you.
By using a boatbath you will do your bit to improve water quality and lessen the environmental impact of owning a boat.
How?
1. By containing the antifoul in a small-enclosed area you will limit its release into the waterways.
2. You can reduce your use of antifoul by up to 66%. If you are an owner who rubs the antifoul and causes it to spread in water you can stop that altogether.

Chlorine Use - EPA Letter of approval

Use of small quantities of chlorine on an eight-meter yacht, half a cup of chlorine would be required to be poured into the Boat Bath water each time the craft returned to its mooring station.

Chlorine components evaporate to the atmosphere and after a short period the only residual of the chlorine is salt.
The toxic affects from anti-fouling paint is much more harmful, particularly where there are a number of boats stationed to together, such as within a marina complex. A small amount of chlorine can be very beneficial when used for boat antifouling.
We have done tests and written to the EPA discussing the effects of chlorine.
The letter states “when used in a controlled fashion the parts per million of chlorine in the bag are acceptable to the EPA”.
We have guidelines and tips on how you can safely administer chlorine to get the right results and protect the environment. We will gladly provide these with your new bag because we too want to have healthier waterways to enjoy with you.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Of the water ballast hulls I repaired, never saw ang blistering but wore an oxygen mask when repairing as some boats did not treat the water ballast as it stunk to high heck

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I recently read a thread where someone asked how to keep the water in the ballast tank from getting too "funky".
Has anyone tried dumping a pound or two of table salt their ballast tank to avoid bacteria growth ? ? ? Upset the osmotic effect and suck the moisture out of the little devils. Just a thought which offers no pollution to the environment.

Ever heard of anyone trying this @Crazy Dave Condon ? ? ?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Ralph Johnstone

No but regardless either in fresh, brackish and salt water, you still get the nasty smell unless treated as micro organisms can grow and die in the absence of oxygen and sun. So your answer, adding salt would not work in my most humble opinion

Jan 19, 2010
Has anyone tried dumping a pound or two of table salt their ballast tank to avoid bacteria growth ? ? ? Upset the osmotic effect and suck the moisture out of the little devils. Just a thought which offers no pollution to the environment.

Ever heard of anyone trying this @Crazy Dave Condon ? ? ?
I have considered either CaCl2 or NH3(NO3).... but mostly because they are the active ingredients in instant cold packs... I wonder if adding 20 pounds would cool off my boat on a hot summer night. :)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
. Is it possible inside the water ballast tank to form blisters ??????
I think so. If the tank is the boat bottom and the the hull is fiberglass. But the water would have to be in there for a length of time. As I understand water ballast it is more for trailerable boats and they typically don't spend long lengths of time in the water.
Fresh water in the bilge is considered a source of blisters so ...