• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Questionable Ethics for a Water Ballast Boat

Jan 19, 2010
Hunter 26 Charleston
I recently read a thread where someone asked how to keep the water in the ballast tank from getting too "funky".

In that thread several people (myself included) recommended adding pool shock chemicals to the tank.

Here is my question... if you keep your boat in a slip, and have pool shock chlorine in your ballast tank... do you think it would help to keep bottom growth off of your boat if you left the tank valve open just a little bit when you leave the boat?:oops:

Yes! I know! Ethically questionable but... do you think it would work. I'm not really willing to test the idea but I am dreadfully curious.

And of course, you would have to remember to close the tank before going sailing.

Ross S

Oct 20, 2011
Precision 21 Great Sacandaga Lake
Agreed, ethically bad. I suspect that it'd have little to no effect except for possibly in a localized area near the discharge. I'd have to think it'd dilute to almost useless levels fairly quickly.

Just my opinion.

Jan 19, 2010
Hunter 26 Charleston
Yes I agree that dilution would be the limiter here but one thing I do know is that diffusion is a lot slower than most people realize. And in a lake with no current, I suspect it may stick around a bit longer.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Rob, I cannot believe you did not ask me. Now you owe me a cup of grog. No make it two since you will be working for the competition. No make it three since you are not back home. Could go on but will insist hearing from you or guard dog will get ya. Ha
D08A16DC-F362-4528-973F-363CA51465B9.jpeg