Question on anchor chain size for SL Windlass on my Hunter 45 cc

Z83

Apr 29, 2020
Hunter 45cc New York
Hi Again:

Was wondering if anyone could give me any insight on the right size chain for my anchor windlass. The manual I found online that I think is right for the windlass, which is the Simpson Lawrence Sprint Atlantic seems to recommend 5/16 g4 chain. I measured the chain on the boat and while it is g4 chain, the inner dimensions of the chain are something like .7 inches inside width 1.375 inside length, which in the chain dimension charts I've seen looks more like 1/2 inch chain, which seems big.

Trying to figure out what size chain I should be replacing the current rig with since its pretty rusty and the 3-strand rope looks weathered.

I don't have a local marine store that sells chain so trying to figure this out before I order some chain samples.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

MZ

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
We have the same windlass for our 2006 H41DS. Here is the replacement information

Complete rode is 5/16" G4 High test Acco Chain - 200'
Chain Thickness .337

Purchased from Bacon Sails 11/15/2013 $3.90/ft

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Before you purchase chain, search and read the recent thread on chain quality. I have always used ACCO chain, but a number of people are claiming that current production is not the quality that it used to be.
EDITED:
Here is the thread link:

Z83

Apr 29, 2020
Hunter 45cc New York
Thanks Guys. Was pretty sure the 5/16 g4 chain was right, but looks like previous owner put a larger chain leader on it. I was going to buy ACCO chain from Defender, so guess i'll do a bit more research first.

Apr 4, 2015
Bavaria Vision 42 Campbell River
I've just gone through this with the Sprint Atlantic windlass on my H38 - with the same scenario. The original chain on mine was larger than G4 5/16 too. Check your windlass gypsy for markings. Is it an RC 172? Seven chain pockets? If so, it's the same as mine and I've just put 5/16 G4 on it and it works superbly. The marking is on the lower inside of the gypsy. FYI - John McMaster at SLSpares in Scotland was very helpful in helping me work the problem out. He also has parts and manuals for older Simpson Lawrence windlass's

Z83

Apr 29, 2020
Hunter 45cc New York
One last question, what size line are you guys using, if using? Looks like I currently have 3/4 even though the manual states 9/16 is ideal. The manual also states it can accomodate up to an additional 3mm depending on the "lay" of the line. Was thinking of going 5/8.

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
One last question, what size line are you guys using, if using? Looks like I currently have 3/4 even though the manual states 9/16 is ideal. The manual also states it can accomodate up to an additional 3mm depending on the "lay" of the line. Was thinking of going 5/8.
Is it 16 Plait line you are looking at? Makes a difference!

Z83

Apr 29, 2020
Hunter 45cc New York
Was looking a 3-strand since that's what the MFG recommends.

Apr 4, 2015
Bavaria Vision 42 Campbell River
I'm also using 5/8" 3-strand. New anchor (Rocna 20kg) last season, new anchor rode this year - 150ft of G4 5/16 chain and 200ft of the 3-strand. The original anchor was way undersized imo.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Beneteau 323.... I think 5/16 is too small for a 40-foot + boat. During a troubled time we put 1/2 line into my 9/16 gypsy. Broke the stripper bolts as it jammed up tight. There can be more than one gypsy that fits your windlass, so you need to MAKE SURE THE GYPSY IS RATED FOR THE CHAIN AND LINE YOU WILL USE!!!

A side story, ,,,, when I was gathering anchor stuff for my brand new boat, I went with an over-sized Lewmar 1000 windlas. A local botaing store waas going out of business. It was obvious they jacked up prices just to give a discount. A tub of 5/16 ACCO was going for a dollare a foot, or 144$ for the whole tube of 144 feet. I wanted to make sure at least 100 feet was all one piece, so asked if I could lay it out on their floor. Salesman said, it's 144, they just measured it last night. I insisted, since all sales were final, and laid out 100. Okay, and I paid them 144$. They didn't even help me get the tub into my car. It is downhill to my dock, so it rolled easily. Laid it out to mark the length. Found out it was NOT 144 feet... it was 177 !!!!. I wanted to go back to the store and tell him, but never did because of his lying about length.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If you have the SL Sprint 1000 windlass, the chain is likely 5/16” and the nylon rode is 9/16” three-strand for a 38-ft boat. But 38 ft is at the low end of boat size-range for that combination. Forty-five feet would likely be near the high end of the range. When sailing the northern Channel Islands, I did carry about 150 ft of 5/8” nylon three-strand as reserve; but not for everyday use.

Last edited:

Z83

Apr 29, 2020
Hunter 45cc New York
I also felt that 5/16 was a little small, but after doing a bunch of research it does look like that is the right size, and is recommended up to a 47-foot boat. So I would be at the upper end.

I take your point though. If I were going to be spending weeks at anchor far from home i'd probably replace the gypsy or windlass.

Hopefully it works for now though. I doubt i'd be out in 50 plus knots at anchor. But who knows. We mainly sail marina to marina then do a night here or there if the weather is good.

I have a wife and toddler on board so my shores are not so distant.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Perhaps your boat should carry two sets of tackle. Working tackle at 5/16” chain, and storm tackle @ 3/8” chain with oversized anchor if you’re going to be out there in it.