Chain cunundrum

Mar 18, 2020
gulfstar 54 sailcruiser CRUISING EASTCOAST
Hi all! getting ready for cruising and i am changing to all chain 300ft for ease . I am looking for a good quality brand, i have heard italy and germany make the best,but have not been able to find anyone in the northeast that sells this,any suggestions

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
Dolphin Catamaran Dolphin 460 Mystic, CT
We've had nothing but problems with ACCO chain. They used to be very good, but changed when they were bought by Peerless and moved their manufacturing facility. Pretty much every cruiser we've met have problems with ACCO chain bought after the move. It seems their galvanizing process changed when Peerless bought them, and the stuff now just rusts. We got 1yr out of our last batch, and others aren't even getting that. We switched to Maggi (Italian), and it has been flawless - still looking good after 5yrs. We recently bought another boat that had brand new ACCO chain installed for the sale. We have anchored maybe a dozen times and it is already rusting - even when washing it down with fresh water after each use.

There is a Maggi distributor in the US with a branch in Boston: https://maggichainsna.com

Mark

Mar 18, 2020
gulfstar 54 sailcruiser CRUISING EASTCOAST
We've had nothing but problems with ACCO chain. They used to be very good, but changed when they were bought by Peerless and moved their manufacturing facility. Pretty much every cruiser we've met have problems with ACCO chain bought after the move. It seems their galvanizing process changed when Peerless bought them, and the stuff now just rusts. We got 1yr out of our last batch, and others aren't even getting that. We switched to Maggi (Italian), and it has been flawless - still looking good after 5yrs. We recently bought another boat that had brand new ACCO chain installed for the sale. We have anchored maybe a dozen times and it is already rusting - even when washing it down with fresh water after each use.

There is a Maggi distributor in the US with a branch in Boston: https://maggichainsna.com

Mark
thanks all ! for the response and mark thanks for the link,i did not want to mention any brands up front so i could get an unbias response.i have heard this from others seems to be ringing true,old good new no good? i will post in a year and let you know results.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
We've had nothing but problems with ACCO chain. They used to be very good, but changed when they were bought by Peerless and moved their manufacturing facility.
When did this happen? The last half barrel of Acco G4 5/16' that I bought is performing per norm. I get about 5-6 years of constant anchoring before the rust requires replacement. I thin I bought that half barrel about 4-5 years ago, but I would have to check my receipts to be sure.

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
Dolphin Catamaran Dolphin 460 Mystic, CT
When did this happen? The last half barrel of Acco G4 5/16' that I bought is performing per norm. I get about 5-6 years of constant anchoring before the rust requires replacement. I thin I bought that half barrel about 4-5 years ago, but I would have to check my receipts to be sure.
The last batch of Acco G4 5/16" that was terrible for us was bought in 2010. The current batch of Acco G4 3/8" that is starting to rust within a year and a dozen anchorings was bought in 2019. Off the top of my head, I know another person who had severe problems within a year of his 2017 chain.

I'm not discounting that these problems are random or batch-related, or even rare because of this, but that doesn't inspire confidence either.

I just reread your question, and think you might have been asking when Peerless bought Acco, and not when we bought our chain. If that is the case, the change in company was in 2006.

Mark

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I am on year 4 of ACCO 3/8bbb chain. Anchor every weekend rinse with fresh water when get back in slip and have no rust to date..... so far so good.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I am on year 4 of ACCO 3/8bbb chain. Anchor every weekend rinse with fresh water when get back in slip and have no rust to date..... so far so good.
Yes if you can rinse with freshwater after each use it's probably fine. But that's not really an option for full-time cruisers.

We are having a similar issue as Mark. New Acco that we have been using for one year cruising the Caribbean and it's rusted. Our previous chain was bought used in 2015 at Bacon Sails in Annapolis. No idea how old it really was. It was still not rusted but only a 90 foot section. I wanted a 150 foot continuous piece. So we bought new last year and it's rusty now. It's only surface rust so far and it we anchor in sand it will self polish. But doesn't give me confidence.

I will look into other brands for our next purchase. Actually knowing Mark I will probably just follow his lead. Few research and analyze at his level.

Jesse

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
old acco bb from the mid 2000's seems fine. but be sure to match your new chain size to tha required for your windlass .

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Great thread - who knew? I bought 5/16" BBB in about 2002, got 15 years out of it without rust, NEVER rinsed it in fresh (previous boat). Thinking of replacing my current 90' piece of G4 with 150'+, will look at that Italian stuff. Thanks.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I haven't looked at specifics on chain in a number of years, but am familiar with modern galvanizing techniques.

You should look carefully that the chain is hot dipped galvanized. There is no equivalent. There is a newer technique that creates thick zinc coatings, it's called mechanical galvanizing. It is often marketed as equivalent to hot dipped, and in some applications is darned close. But it is not equivalent for chain.

Hot dipped galvanized chain should give years of use, and when it is getting closer to loosing it's galvanizing, will show some rusty surface. However, even in that state it will still be protecting the chain but is a good indicator that you can start looking to get that same chain re-hot dip galvanized and go on for many more years.

dj

• Helpful
Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
<snip> Hot dipped galvanized chain should give years of use, and when it is getting closer to loosing it's galvanizing, will show some rusty surface. However, even in that state it will still be protecting the chain but is a good indicator that you can start looking to get that same chain re-hot dip galvanized and go on for many more years.

dj
I have spoken to Acco reps at boat shows and they have told me that it is not possible (or maybe cost prohibitive) to re-galvanize a chain. Have you ever gotten a chain re-galvanized yourself?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I have spoken to Acco reps at boat shows and they have told me that it is not possible (or maybe cost prohibitive) to re-galvanize a chain. Have you ever gotten a chain re-galvanized yourself?
Yes, but years ago. So maybe today it would be cost prohibitive. It is getting harder to find hot dipped galvanizers due to EPA regs. So that may be true. Also, if you have high strength chain, the re-galvanizing will likely lower the tensile strength, depending upon the actual alloy the chain is made from. It could also be the reason they said it's impractical. So you do have to know your chain very well, your strength requirements and your needed outcome.

dj

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I understand it's possible to have the chain and other galvanized gear such as anchors, galvanized again. Galvanizing facilities typically dip the metal in a “pickling” solution to clean it off prior to the galvanizing process. The link below is the representative cost to regalvanize, which is considerably lower cost than purchasing new.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004

Mark
Price is very good, 5/16" galvanized is $3.25/ft., while Acco at Defender is $3.04/ft.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
We've had 50' of 5/16" ACCO brand galvanized G4 on our boat since 2015. Looks the same as when new after anchoring in sea water many times since.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I contacted Maggi and they got right back to me. They have a place in Warwick, RI.