Question for Hunter 27e (electric) owners

texlan

Jun 25, 2015
Macgregor 26s Phoenix
You ever accidentally leave the charger on 6 cells and put a < 6 cell pack on it? I've left it on 4 and put in a 3 cell... walked away, flew another round, went "OH !@#$%" as the battery errupted into a flaming ball of aluminum foil and white smoke (which, incidentally, filled my vehicle with opaque caustic smoke.. I was charging it in the back of my cherokee with the hatch open.)

I rather unceremoniously put my plane down and ran over to grab the entire burning wreck of battery+charger (grabbed by the charger, mind you) and threw it out of the vehicle. Thank God for modern materials as the carpet in the had only melted, it hadn't caught on fire yet. But I was --><-- close to burning my jeep to the ground.

LiFePO4 does not suffer from thermal runaway, even in a dead short or a pierced battery pack. (Sure, your wire insulation will catch on fire from the kilo-amps of current, but that's why you protect wire with properly sized fuses or circuit breakers.) Point is, Over charge or over discharge a LiFePO4 and you wont burn your boat (and neighbors boats) to the waterline like what will happen with the various higher density lithium ion chemistries. LiFePO4 fails safe - it will vent, it will die as a battery -- but it wont catch on fire. Add the cherries on top of >2000 cycles to 80% depth of discharge and it still has like a 98.5% charge acceptance, compared to pb's ~66% in the top 20% of capacity (Where you need to be operating to prolong your pb's battery life, your solar panels are least effective and wasting the most of their preciously limited power..)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Cool thanks, good feedback. Although in my Lipo charging station I only ever charge on balance and the chargers I use have fault detection for mismatched cell counts and over charge protection. It even throws an error and alarm when the battery is connect in a reverse polarity condition.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
What year is your boat. Not many of them were made so the feedback from owners with a boat designed that way will be limited.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
My 480 watts of solar will develop about 13-14 amps @ 27volts (about my float voltage) in PERFECT conditions (which only exist about 7 hours a day, average, at our latitude, with no clouds.)
Remember PERFECT charging conditions also means the panels at a perfect 90 degrees to the actual sun rays, and tracking. You probably lose 40% if they are laying flat.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I'm pretty new to this also but one thing I know people use is to have a small light weight generator on board. I'd probably look at a honda to have for anything longer than day sailing
I have a friend who had converted his Hunter 30 to electric. He installed some huge hi-tech batteries and claimed he could cruise about 25 miles on a full charge. Then he needed shore power. He carried a portable Honda 4KW generator and said with the Honda running he could make about 3 knots.

Ken