Question for Hunter 27e (electric) owners

Jun 16, 2017
Hunter 27e Puget Sound
Hi -
Newbie sailor considering a Hunter 27 as an upgrade from our West Wight Potter 19. We currently run a Torqeedo motor so the elco Hunter 27 is appealing. With the solar panels and the wind generator, do you find that the motor recharges sufficiently while you our out and under sail? With the Torqeedo, we bring an emergency battery in case our primary zeros out while we are away from the slip. Do you only day sail or have you cruised much with it?
Thanks is advance.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017
Hunter 27e Puget Sound
I've read that, too, as far as how long it holds a charge. I wanted to know if the solar panels and wind generator sufficiently recharges or tops off the batteries so going back to the marina is a "no-worries" situation. (Barring any weather emergencies.)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Is this still available? I can't find any for sale in my quick searching?

BTW love the West Wight Potter 19, but couldn't convince my wife after we looked at a 'big' O'Day 25 to go that small.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Here is my take on electric boating and I really do a lot of cruising and 99% we anchor out and so even thought
I have built in Gen and 2 big 195 watt panels I decided against a electric motor because I would be very limited using my dinghy with electric unless I could recharge and for me that would be running my Gen constantly so unless you go to Marina's and can plug in over night it would not work.
Yes electric does work for some and in our club we do have a few who use electric trolling motors with a battery but they don't in any long dinghy use we the rest of us and so many times they stay on their boats at anchor and one of our power boater with Gen has the Torqeedo motors for their dinghy and a few times have had to be towed back to their boat and recently they had a problem with it going dead all together and I think it was some water getting down into the motor or something like that and some one said they heard they were having a lot of problems but any way they are looking for a small gas outboard now and will be selling the Torqeedo .
And if just day sailing or going into a Marina than that would work for a electric sailboat for sure but any cruising and anchor out a lot to me no no for sure and solar and wind machine I don't see it getting proper charging and than damage it and very limited useing.
Just my 2 cents.
Nick

Jun 16, 2017
Hunter 27e Puget Sound
Is this still available? I can't find any for sale in my quick searching?

BTW love the West Wight Potter 19, but couldn't convince my wife after we looked at a 'big' O'Day 25 to go that small.
Yup, still for sale, but maybe I shouldn't tell you so you don't beat me to it ☺. It's at Newport Beach CA. BTW love our Potter, but it is a bit small for over night.

Jun 16, 2017
Hunter 27e Puget Sound
Thanks for your thoughts, Nick. We love our Torqeedo (which is waterproof, btw). It's been our only motor for the last two seasons. But currently we only day sail, so any input about cruising with electric is welcome.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Well likely not. Comes with a 13hp motor that is about 10kW comes with a 210AH battery if that is 72V would give you about 10kwh without going to extreme discharge. So you could motor at half power for 2 hours. How big a solar panel would you need to recharge 10kwh? How long do you have?

Jun 16, 2017
Hunter 27e Puget Sound
Actually, the Elco motor is 20HP (on website and in the sale ad) and it motors on flat water for 6-8 hrs. Our small Torqeedo lasts 4 hrs. I was just curious if anyone on this forum has real life experience with this boat and motor.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
This is all a matter of definition. The battery contains 72V X 210Ah is 15.12 kwH at 100% DOD.
If you want to motor for 8 hrs then you can do it at 1.9kW or about 2.5 HP. So OK is that useful?
If you start to limit DOD if you start to use more realistic powers then you probably are looking at 2hrs of motoring and 10mi of range. Which would be great daysailing in SF bay. I think they are overselling the capability of this system, but just an opinion. You need to talk to someone who owns one (and isn't trying to sell it to you)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
This ad lists the ELCO motor at 10hp or 7.5 kilowatts.. http://www.marlow-hunter.com/mid-si.../the-27-an-extraordinary-entry-level-crusier/
So the physics of it look like this.. I don't know what size solar panels it has but for giggles, lets say 200 "rated" watts, which is a complete bimini top full.. Say ya do a two hour push at half power.. in rough round numbers, that would mean a consumption of 7.5 kilowatts.. In a typical day in your area, you could probably count on the panel averaging around 125watts over the 12 hours of a day.. roughly 1500 watts.. so to recharge using solar only would require 5 days.. that is 5 days of not using anything else electric.. This is why electric is a niche market .. it works if you daysail and/or are on shore power for non-sailing time..
These are rough numbers, but give a feeling of the electric power niche.. If you are happy with the Torqedo and use the 27 the same way, you'll probably be happy with the 27 electric..
The wind gen helps; most are rated at 400 watts at max conditions.. A conservative number would be 150 watts/hr returned over 24 hours which is 3600 watts.. so now wind and solar would total 5100 watts which would bring the charge time down to 1.5 days .. to pay for a 2 hour run at half power.. These are optimistic numbers..
Like I said, if you sail close to shore power and don't push for distance under power, electric might fit very nicely..

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017
Hunter 27e Puget Sound
[QUOTE="JohnShannon, post: 1381425, You need to talk to someone who owns one (and isn't trying to sell it to you)[/QUOTE]
EXACTLY why I posted in this forum. As I said I would like to hear from real life users. Real Hunter 27e owners.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I'm pretty new to this also but one thing I know people use is to have a small light weight generator on board. I'd probably look at a honda to have for anything longer than day sailing

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I did get to see the Hunter 36e at the Miami boat show and was very impressed and think it had a optional
Gen and did see it motoring around the harbor but did not get the specks because they were doing a video shoot
by some magazine.
Nick

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Well I don't believe their specs. It feels like they are going to 100% discharge, or unrealistically low throttle settings. I love love love the idea, diesel is a PITA but until batteries are better don't see it happening.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
For this use, fuel cells are probably the viable energy source, and will happen in general use one day in the future.. They are a bit expensive today but offer lots of electricity to drive the quiet, relatively maintenance free motor while offering a fill up that takes minutes and not hours.. The gist is that electrical energy is stored as a liquid hydrocarbon .. The cell very efficiently and silently (much more so than a diesel generator) converts the fuel into electricity..
http://www.wattfuelcell.com/portable-power/watt-imperium/

Last edited:

texlan

Jun 25, 2015
Macgregor 26s Phoenix
I have a 1990 Macgregor 26s with 100Ah of 24v LiFePO4 batteries, a 480 watt solar array, and a little-bit-less-than-2HP torquedo like (Haswing Protruar) electric motor. My boat is significantly less displacement than a Hunter 27e, (probably ~3700-4000 lbs loaded with me and the Mrs. and the 30 gallon water tank and the 30 pack of beer in the refrigerator) but I do have some experience with an electric/solar boat of similar length so perhaps my thoughts are relevant. And, I am an extra class ham radio operator so I know a little bit about electricity... (Though not much, I am also a dumb redneck.)

That Hunter can probably realistically motor 8-10 hours at *cruising* speed in flat water without a problem. But what is cruising speed? I define cruising speed as the point of most reasonable amount of power expended for the most reasonable amount of speed from the vessel. Tradeoff. If you have unlimited power cruising speed becomes hull speed. :) Down here in reality, with that boat, though, it's probably more like 4 knots.

My 480 watts of solar will develop about 13-14 amps @ 27volts (about my float voltage) in PERFECT conditions (which only exist about 7 hours a day, average, at our latitude, with no clouds.)

13-14 amps (so, 360ish watts) will push my light boat at about 3.2-3.4 knots with no wind. Great for my local lake. If I draw from the battery and push it to max (about 45 amps/1250 watts) I get about 4.8 knots with no wind, or about 2.5 knots into a 20 knot headwind. The power required to push a boat increases exponentially with speed. A figure I heard cited which seems to hold true is double the power for every knot of speed.

To compare, my Yamaha 9.9 high thrust will cruise (~2400rpm) at about 4.8-5 knots. At that rpm I figure it's putting out 2.5 hp. Hull speed is 6.5.. I've had it to 6.2 with the Yamaha..

What it comes down to is that in perfect conditions you can make headway (if you're patient) with very little power. But most people are not willing or able to put enough solar to make moderate range cruising a possibility. The charge INefficiency of lead-acid batteries compounds the effect. The top 20% of a lead acid battery's charge is almost unobtainable on a working boat by solar due to the idiosyncrasies of the chemistry. Solar can float it.. but solar will never bulk AND absorb with the amount of insolation (Again, by lattitude, but Arizona/Californa = ~7 hours...) available. Lithium Iron Phosphate has a chance because of the charge efficiency, though, but it's costly and requires a whole lot more money or active management than most people are willing to put into it. NOW, add windage from your panels, a 30 knot headwind and ebb tide into safe harbor 10 miles away during a freak storm where clouds are blocking the sun and nightfall is an hour away.... Either you have a genset you can start or you are going to have one hell of a rough survival sail with dead batteries, no nav lights, no chart plotter, and no shipboard VHF.

Funny thing is I am a proponent of the technology LOL.. because a BIG solar array, smart power management, high efficiency batteries and your sails give you a lot of possibilities (my fridge always keeps my beer 34degF, no need to ever fire up a motor to charge).. but be prepared to be VERY cautious and have backup plans for your backup plans.

Just some thoughts...I'm done with my scotch now, good luck.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Great post! I fly large RC planes thst run 6 cell lipo bricks and was wondering why you went with LiFePO4 batteries.