Question about traveller on 2004 Hunter 36

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
Hi All,

We have a "new to us" 2004 Hunter 36 and I'm working my way through the list of jobs, trying to prioritize anything that's a safety issue. I just noticed a bent pin on my traveller and I'm trying to determine what urgency I should place on fixing it.

IMG_1483.jpg

Has anyone else had this situation?

Not sure if I should simply replace the pin or look into a whole new car - and what Lewar model would fit the existing track.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Andy

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
If it is on your arch and you cannot see it and it does not interfere with traveler performance then no urgency. If it is a dented block, then you might consider replacing it for aesthetics.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Just replace the pin. It has clearly bent i.e. passed it's yield point. I'm not a engineer but as far as I understand once a component like that pin bends it has weakened. It is failing and it should be replaced. IMHP.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have 2007 H-36 and I would replace because I can see too much thread showing and
doesn’t seem a $$ item.
Nick

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
Thanks for the suggestions.

I feel that the way the block is attached to the traveller is very weak and the clevis pin is being stressed too much by having the shackle between the pin and the block.

It seems that a stronger connection would be to remove the shackle and put the clevis pin through the stub on the block itself.

Can anyone comment on how the connection between block and traveller should be made?

Could anyone with a similar boat take a picture of their traveller?

Thanks...Andy

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have 2007 H-36 and my traveler is made by Harken and doesn’t use a shackle as suggested
pulley right to the traveler.
Nick

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
Our traveller is also Harken and and I'm pretty sure the pin goes through the shaft on the block directly instead of being point loaded by the shackle

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
Thanks everyone. The boat's being worked on this week but hopefully next week I can get back to it and fix this issue.

Last edited:

MarcW

Dec 9, 2019
Hunter 356 Lancaster
In my experience if a failure will cause you a lot of grief, then replace it. On a windy day, this wouldn't be fun.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Just replace the pin. It has clearly bent i.e. passed it's yield point. I'm not a engineer but as far as I understand once a component like that pin bends it has weakened. It is failing and it should be replaced. IMHP.
That is not exactly true. Having yielded does not weaken the metal. In fact it actually gets a little stronger. This is called strain hardening. With that said, the pin could be cracked or fatigued. It appears to have been subjected to some hard jibes.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Yes, the pin looks bent.. However, make sure that it is bent and not forged that way. Check on the ring pin end. IF the butt end of the pin is perpendicular to the car, it's probably designed that way.. However, should the pin end slope away, then it's bent.

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
Got to the boat and the pin is bent. I can't believe this tiny pin (not quite 3/16") is all that holds the boom to the traveller. Seems like I had bigger pins on my old Hobiecat traveller.
IMG_1487.jpg

Now the problem is that the stub of the Harken block is too big to fit into the opening on the Lewmar upstand. I assume the blocks are not original, though they do look pretty old.

Now I need a new block, which is not a huge deal BUT I don't know when load rating is needed or what else I need to consider. I have a spare Ronstan block with a high load rating but it doesn't swivel as freely and says it's for a static load not a mainsheet, so I guess that's no good.

I'm off to WM, and hopefully they have something....

Andy

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
MY 356 manual doesn't identify the car block - maybe someone with a 36 can check theirs...
SBO has taken over all the Hunter documentation - they should be able to help you find the right block and they are great to work with. If they don't see this comment, ask in the chandlery

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
FYI...I found two blocks that appear to fit: Lewmar 60 mm HTX Block (29196001) and Ronstan 60 mm Series 60 Core Block (RF64100). I ordered the Lewmar block and will install next season.

Update: I just received the Lewmar block and I'm disappointed. It can be fixed or can swivel. I completely removed the two grub screws that lock the swivel, but the swivel is very stiff and jerky - it seems to stick in places. I think I'll try the Ronstan.

Last edited: