Question about roller reefing

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Aside from the expense, is there any reason why you would not just shop for a new furler? If the current one is not satisfactory and the ability to reef is important for safety, I would choose to go shopping for something more dependable. I'm left wondering if the system you have actually is good for reefing. Not all furlers were made for reefing. I would look into Schaefer Snapfurl for your boat.

Oct 21, 2014
Oday 22 Richmond
It is very good for reefing Scott. Expense is certainly an issue since I have four headsails that have the wire rope in the luff. I think if I can solve this issue (which I'm sure I can) then I will stick with what I have until I need new sails. I have used the Snapfurl on a friends boat and they are quite nice. Thanks.

Oct 26, 2008
It seems that you might be talking yourself into a trap if you use the old headsails as a reason not to change the furler. Why would you need to change the luff of 4 sails if you are going to reef the headsail anyway? I would just change the luff of your best sail (or largest - depending on your preference) so that you can use it with a new furler. How many of the 4 would you actually need to use?

Are you really going to purchase multiple sails if and when you do change a furler, or are you going to buy new sails, one at a time, all with the old wire luff to fit the old furler (that you seem to have a problem with)? Obviously, it's your choice. I started with a new furler and converted 2 hank-on sails to use until I buy new sails. Now that I want new sails, the furler purchase is no longer an issue.

I'd start by solving the problem, which seems to be the furler.

Oct 26, 2008
Aside from a new furler, the halyard restrainer that was presented is the simple solution. It appears that the ball on the halyard is intended to keep the halyard from wrapping. I suspect that the ball is no longer functioning as intended. Either it doesn't rotate freely (which would create a nearly frictionless interface between the halyard and the stay) or the ball is scuffed up and the friction causes the halyard to "grip" the stay as the drum rotates. That ball is just an attempt to do the same thing that a halyard restrainer would do by keeping the halyard separated from the stay. The restrainer is a better solution.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Hmmmm..... They are called roller furlers not reefers. A partially rolled up headsail is not a good foil.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
It is very good for reefing Scott. Expense is certainly an issue since I have four headsails that have the wire rope in the luff. I think if I can solve this issue (which I'm sure I can) then I will stick with what I have until I need new sails. I have used the Snapfurl on a friends boat and they are quite nice. Thanks.
Sails that are rolled around a WIRE should not be used "reefed" - the wire is not intended to with stand the torque. All of the manufacturers of units such as this caution against sailing with the sail partially furler. With a unit like this one, the sail must be fully furled or fully unfurled.

Judy
Sailmaker and furler dealer.

Jun 25, 2004
Aside from a new furler, the halyard restrainer that was presented is the simple solution. It appears that the ball on the halyard is intended to keep the halyard from wrapping. I suspect that the ball is no longer functioning as intended. Either it doesn't rotate freely (which would create a nearly frictionless interface between the halyard and the stay) or the ball is scuffed up and the friction causes the halyard to "grip" the stay as the drum rotates. That ball is just an attempt to do the same thing that a halyard restrainer would do by keeping the halyard separated from the stay. The restrainer is a better solution.

The plastic ball on the halyard is there to prevent the splice in the halyard from getting stuck in the sheave.
A properly done eye splice has a fairly long bury, and the thick part can get jammed in the sheave and might be frayed.
When used with a furler, the ball on the haylard should be all the way at the sheave, within an inch or so. Anything else is too low for use with a furler, due to geometry.

That ball doesn't prevent halyard wrapping.

Judy

Jun 25, 2004
Without seeing a picture of the installation on the PO's boat, which he hasn't provided, I don't think anybody can offer advice about how to prevent his problem. There is a way to install this kind of furler roll up sails properly, but he hasn't given us enough data yet.

I've never seen anybody install a halyard restrainer in the kind of application the PO has described. And I've seen hundreds of installations like the PO's and made a lot of sails for use on similar furlers.

Similar furlers are Furlex 20S, 30S and 40S, but the installation doesn't work in all geometries.
Harken 400 series for small boats are similar, but the wire in the luff is meant to replace the forestay, not be used in addition to it.

It's not at all clear to me that a halyard restrainer will solve the problem. In fact, I suspect it may cause other problems.

Judy