Question about replacing one of the Marinco 30A shore power inlets

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Hmm... SmartPlug does look good. Raises the price to around $300 because I'll also need a new 15A pigtail for charging batteries in the winter. Not sure I've seen many of these in the marina so I guess most people are still using the traditional connectors.
The way I thought about this was that I had a $1,000 deductible on the boat, and prob another few thousand in stuff on-board that I couldn't remember if I made a claim, so the fire that the old receptacle would cause would cost me about $5K, vs. the $360 for a new cord and boat-side receptacle. In storage, I attached the adapter to the end of the 30-A cord twist-lock, and then to the 15-A extension cord for the yard power to keep the batts up. You prob won't seen the orange cord in your marina until there is a boat fire, then everyone will get religion, which is why my old marina was full of the orange cords (wasn't a full loss).

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Hummm. You lost me on this one Rick D. What is the additional female end going to be on the used adapters for?
You will be installing a Smartplug inlet from the Combo pkg on your boat. You will then be replacing your current Marinco cord female end with your new Smartplug female end. It is my experience that any adapters will still connect to the existing Marinco cord male plug on the shore side. What am I missing?
You missed nothing! I leave my shorepower cord on the dock when I travel, so I need a Smart Plug spliced to my 15 amp adapter for shorepower via 15 amp cord, mostly for Mexico, and more importantly, my Honda 2000 when on a mooring or hook.

Mar 14, 2019
Catalina 380 Longport, NJ
On a 2004 Hunter 36, I plan to replace one of the shore power inlets. I noticed a black plastic protective cover in the cockpit locker, that completely covers the backs of both shore power inlets. It appears to be bonded to the locker (no visible screws).

I hope there is enough spare wire that I can remove the old inlet and pull wire through the hole, so the replacement can be done without prying off the plastic cover in the locker.

I'm trying to plan the job without access to the boat, so I'm hoping someone has done it and can confirm whether or not the plastic cover needs to be removed.

Thanks, Andy

I am certain that the cover must be removed. I believe there is a clamp that holds the wire in place which is part of the protective cover and will prevent you from pulling the wire through. Its not that difficult.
Bruce

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
How long before yours failed? Maybe call Smart Plug and ask them why it failed?
I'm going on two seasons with mine but will be sure to keep an eye on it.
Thanks
Hi Ward, It took about 5 years to fail. I'm considering upping the input on the boat to a 50 amp inlet. A California 50 is much less effort and only one cord to lay out.

• Helpful

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
Speaking of boat fires, my wife makes the point that the cost of a marina electrician is small compared to the cost of a boat fire, especially if insurance has issues with work that is not done by a qualified marine electrician. I have no idea how that would work - her argument seems to have merit. Any thoughts?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Speaking of boat fires, my wife makes the point that the cost of a marina electrician is small compared to the cost of a boat fire, especially if insurance has issues with work that is not done by a qualified marine electrician. I have no idea how that would work - her argument seems to have merit. Any thoughts?
Over the years I have replaced plenty of 30 amp ends. It's hardly complex. Pretty much just like home. I just ordered an smart plug combo and extra boat side plug for my 15 amp adapter.