Question about leaving a heater plugged into shore power on

Apr 3, 2015
Hunter 34 New Bern
It’s that time of year again to get prepared for cold weather
In North Carolina we don’t have to winterize our engines but I do put some antifreeze in the water system but now my question is how safe is it to leave a oil filled radiator heater on low for two weeks at a time without checking it? Last winter I had a nice live aboard keep an eye on my boat but he has moved south and my other option is to get a service I have been told that people leave the heat pumps running all winter but I’d hate for my strainer to clog in the middle of the night . So a very capable mechanic told me to leave an oil filled radiator on low just not so sure how safe it is any ideas?
It is supposed to turn on at 35 and cut off at 40 in the freeze protection mode and turn its self off if it turns over Thanks for the help

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
So a very capable mechanic told me to leave an oil filled radiator on low just not so sure how safe it is any ideas?
If it's relatively new, in good shape, and you test out the "tipping" shut off feature, you should be good to go. I would also suggest you leave it for an hour or so to ensure it is shutting off at approx. 40 deg F.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Those are rather safe. Since you are in NC you are mostly concerned about cold nights. If you want to add a extra level of caution you might put the heater on a timer so it only comes on at night...

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I wouldn't leave a heater unattended. We had as I remember 3 boats in the middle bay burn up last winter due to unattended heaters overloading their shore power connection. Check with your marina, many specifically prohibit the practice.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our boat is connected to 30amp shore power service whenever the boat is docked. During the cooler times of the year I have one of these, http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--portable-cabin-heater--7867500, set on low to help protect the boat when the temperature dips below freezing. I did not purchase it at WM, but these units are very reliable and safe. Set on low, they consume very little power (six amperes) and in no way are a cause for overload concern.

I would never leave our boat unattended for an extended period of time with either its two heat pumps, or diesel furnace, running. These system are just too complicated with many things that could go wrong.

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Boat Rule #23: Nothing good can come of an unattended boat left in freezing water.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I'm with Gunni on this: I wouldn't do it and it is prohibited by many marinas. If you are worried about cold weather, prep your boat properly for it by draining systems that may freeze or using the appropriate antifreeze. An unattended heater is a source of unintended trouble.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
It is supposed to turn on at 35 and cut off at 40 in the freeze protection mode and turn its self off if it turns over
Check with your marina and your insurance company. Get both replies in writing. If you get a thumbs up, have a look at Caframo. They make some good albeit pricey heaters, including the link Terry provided.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Here on the best coast - it is common to run heaters to deal with moisture and occasional dips in the temp below 32f. I have two - one is oil filled and is setup so it won't tip, the other is smaller low wattage resistance heater.

It beats the open light bulb or heat lamp my dad kept in his boat in the winter.

It is very rare for the water the boat sits in to freeze.

Les

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
We use them here too, as Les says.. It is critically important to have a good connection at the boat end of the cord and the boat inlet fitting itself. One way to check is to run the heater on high a while and feel the plug and socket on the boat.. it may be warm but it should not be hot.. If your cord and boat connector are ok, then it is important to run it on low and to keep it from falling over.. check the tip over switch every time before you leave. Be very careful with this since it has the potential to burn your boat and some around you as well..
Consider going to the newer "Smart Plug" for a better, more robust connector.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I do have the Smart Plug on the boat side - the marina has the standard 30A twist lock. I would add - keep the cords as short as possible - it will keep the cords and wiring in the boat cooler as the voltage drop will be much less.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
The heater is probably not going to be the thing that sets your boat on fire. a 2000 watt heater at 120 volts draws 17 amps so a 15 amp service would be overloaded, a 20 amp service would be operating at 85% of capacity......so the boat wiring is the week point. I had just such a situation and found several connections that got pretty hot after using the heater. The good Lord looking out fro dummies (me being the chief of them) I just happed to have an AC wire short to the hose clamp on on of the fresh water plastic hoses. brushed against the sucker and got that tingle (I'm old and dry and don't conduct so good anymore). Further checking found burned insulation on the wire touching the hose clamp, a crimp connector that had heat discoloration and was still warm to the touch.......about 5 connections where loose enough (tight to the feel though) to heat up.
a word to the wise is sufficient.

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
Best solution I have come across is a a heat lamp and housing made for chicken coops. Availble at Tractor Supply type store. They also have have a plug in with a thermostat.
Both the brooder, lamp and thermostat can be found on the following page. Works well to keep the damp out.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/heat lamp