Sailingdog's boat, Pretty Gee destroyed by fire

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Daniel Kim, Sailingdog, a regular contributer to this and other forums, boat was destroyed by fire March 13, they believe from a cushion falling on a space heater, although had been turned off. He recently posted a picture on his Facebook page. Very sad news.

From his post;
S/V Pretty Gee is gone. She was destroyed in a boatyard fire on March 13, 2014.The likely cause of the fire was a propane space heater that I had been using to heat the cabin most of this past winter while working on her.

I had been working on her earlier in the day—oiling the teak and getting her ready to install a new overhead in the main cabin. I shut down the heater and stowed it as I have fo...r the past three months and left for lunch. While I was eating lunch, I got a phone call from the Fairhaven Fire Department that my boat had burned.

I'm not sure how the fire started, but think that the settee cushion may have fallen over and caught fire from the heating element on the space heater. I remember shutting the heater off because I bumped it when I was shutting it off and burned my right forearm.

I still don't really believe it. I still keep hoping it is a bad dream I will wake up from. S/V Pretty Gee got her name from the ICQ handle that I gave my then girlfriend, Gee, when she moved to Seattle.

Gee and I got engaged on the trip to move her to Seattle, where she was going to attend Seattle University’s TESOL Master’s Degree Program. We were married in 2000, and she lost her battle with pancreatic cancer in June 2001. Gee has been the weather goddess that has watched over S/V Pretty Gee since I bought her in 2006.

Attachments

capejt

May 17, 2004
Hunter 33_77-83 New London, CT
Oh, now that hurts! I used to use a propane space heater while working on my boat as well. Never had problems or even considered a danger since, as he did, I always made double (sometimes triple) sure it was off when I left. I even considered using an electric space heater to keep ice from forming in the bilge. I never followed through on that idea because I had nightmares of something like this happening to me.
My heart breaks for you!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
That's painful to look at. Sorry to hear about the boat and happy that no one got hurt.

I'm also happy that no one else's boat was damaged by his carelessness. Heaters on the hard in a boat is always a bad bad idea, normally prohibited. It they were not at that marina now, I bet they are starting tomorrow.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Wow, I'm so sorry to learn of the loss. We pour so much of ourselves into our boats, and to lose one is just a personal tragedy.

Perhaps the investigation will reveal the precise cause and it will be learned that it was not over-sight or an error on Daniel's part. It won't change the outcome but it could give some comfort that it was a true accident and could not be foreseen.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I am so sorry to hear this. He's in the top 1% with the amount of love and care he put into that boat. My thoughts and prayers go out to him. I'm sure he's devastated.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Sorry to hear that, he must be heart-broken, I can't imagine what he's going through.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
That is really sad. I hope that he is able to get set back up and cruising eventually. This isn't sad....It is awful!

Sep 18, 2012
hunter 34 ky
so sorry for your loss

So sorry to hear that you lost your vessel to fire. Have to say I know how you feel. I lost mine in a fatal marina fire back in 07. Its hard to recover , but you can get through this. It took me three years to find another vessel but found one same make model and year. Am back sailing once again. My thoughts an prayers have been sent your way, try an keep your head up , just remember we cant change the wind but we can agjust our sails.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
It is known that some chemicals we use on boats can self-ignite if left piled up. A friend's boat burnt to the waterline from a pile of used rags.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
May be the first time that I've ever heard of anybody burning their boat down with a heater that is turned off. Occam's razor states; -All things being equal, the simplest explanation tends to be the answer.-

Soooo..

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I learned of this tragic event in another forum. Thank you MS. I don't have word to express my sadness about this news...

I knew Dan, and have some idea of what this boat meant to him. Pretty Gee was named after Dan's late wife. He put his heart & soul into that boat, and she cannot be replaced...

Dan's blog/website does not allow me to send him messages there. I have tried several times. Dan, you are welcome to a sail on that O'day that you helped me complete the wiring and hand rails for; now known as Far Niente.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I know that SD has been absent the forums of late. SD's last activity on SBO.com was on 6-20-2011...

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
That's a very tough blow. I hope he finds a good way to channel his emotions over this loss.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
major ouch . very sad...