Question about Insurance Drivers

Mar 25, 2021
Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20 119 Marina del Rey
Hello,

What is the minimum age to be a ”driver” on any boat insurance agency?

Thanks

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
....What is the minimum age to be a ”driver” on any boat insurance agency?....
This boat insurnace article California Boat, Jet Ski, and (PWC) Requirements | Freeway Insurance indicates you must be at least 16 years old to operate a water vehicle by yourself in California. However, your question is best answered by your boat insurance provider to be sure you are legally covered in the event of a loss/claim.

Minimum boat operator age depends on the state Boat License Age, Boating Age By State (takemefishing.org) . For example, California law Boating laws rules and license requirements (ca.gov) requires a person to be 16 years of age or older and in possession of his/her California Boater Card to legally operate a vessel powered by a motor of 15 hp or more, including personal watercrafts. Exceptions to this law are:
  • Persons 12 to 15 years of age may operate a vessel powered by a motor of 15 hp or more, including PWCs, if they are supervised on board by a person at least 18 years of age and in possession of his/her California Boater Card.
  • There is no age restriction for operating a sailboat under 30 ft. long (with wind as the main source of propulsion) or a dinghy used between a moored vessel and shore or between two moored vessels.
Please let us know what you find out.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
That's as a simple answer as you are likely to get and it's not that simple.
In NY there was a one time a State mandated boating education requirement and a county specific (At lease for our county) requirement which didn't overlap completely. I'm a little rusty on the details but I think you could do the state test online but the county test had to be 8 or so hours in person class. For adults there were carve outs for USPS training and I think other training programs. It was a mess.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
SailorElliot.......just read my Chubb Insurance policy and it specified "Covered person means: you or a family member; or any person including a captain or a full time paid crew member using your insured vessel with permission from you or a family member", albeit did specifically specify an age limit. But before I allow my children to operate my boat I would check with Chubb on age and any other requirements to ensure I was covered in the event of a loss.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I agree with @sail sfbay. There is a State law, but ask your insurance company to be assured that the insurance will still be in force should something go wrong.