Question about installing high water alarm on 2004 Hunter 36

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
Hi All,

I plan to install a high water alarm and bought a Rule 33ALA Marine High Water Bilge Alarm.

Firstly, I wondered if anyone had feedback on whether that model is a good choice.

Secondly, the small 'pod' with light and buzzer is deeper than I expected, so I'm not sure where to put it so I can hear it from the helm or while sleeping below. I'm wondering about locating it in the fiberglass "bulge" that is just in the front of the sliding companion way lid and just behind the dorade. It would be covered by the dodger and seems like it would be close enough to the helm and interior of the boat. Has anyone installed instruments in that location? How does one get access to it?

Thanks,
Andy

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Rule products are reliable as I have them on my Hunter 46 and Symbol 44. The latter boat has three bilge pumps, each with a Rule-A-Matic Plus 40A float high level alarm switches and 41 bilge switches at upper/lower helms. The 33ALA High Water Bilge Alarm below consists of a non-mercury float switch and an in-dash gauge that features both a visual and an audible 85 db alarm. It has a 2 year warranty. My sailboat has depth and spped instruments mounted forward of the companionway door, convenient to monitor them from the helm. If it was my sailboat I would mount them below at the naviation station since you can hear the alarm when sailing with the companionway door open AND sleeping at night with the companionway door is closed. Moreover, the wiring will be shorter and less complicated.

1617827915332.png

Last edited:

AndyL

Jun 23, 2020
Hunter 36 Rock Hall
Thanks for the information.

It would be simpler to put it at the nav station. I guess I can always try it there and see how loud it is, especially with the engine running. That's probably what I'll do.

Maybe a backup plan, if I am worried that the Rule isn't loud enough by itself, is to put a small buzzer in parallel (something like the Aqualarm Piezo Alarm Buzzer that Defender sells) and mount that in the helm instrument pod.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Since the detector is a switch, you can connect a car alarm siren horn in parallel with the soanalert and place it anywhere inside. I guarantee you will hear it.
Haro.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
good choice, works well and reliable (18 years and counting). Ours is mounted just aft of the engine panel in the cockpit. If your mount it at the nav station you'll need another buzzer in the cockpit.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Good idea but have never seen a high level bilge alarm in a sailboat cockpit. Have them at the lower and upper helms of my powerboat.

senang

Oct 21, 2009
hunter 38 Monaco
I have a H38, but I suppose the wiring is similar on your H36. I installed a “noise device” on the cable going from the manual bilge pump switch down to the pump. Normally this wire is not energized, but when the bilge pump float activates the pump the 12V gets also on this wire, activating the alarm. It is not “High Water”, but I prefer to know when the normal bilge pump activates, I prefer my bilge dry. Easy to connect on the back of the fuse panel, nothing to do in the bilge :)

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
For reference, check the “2008 H36 Manual” in the Hunter archives here. Our 2008 was prewired from the factory with the high water alarm. There is a standard bilge pump float switch mounted on the shoulder of the hull where it first drops toward the keel - about a foot above the lower bilge pump/switch. There is a small alarm panel at the instrument panel in the cockpit. I occasionally lift the float switch to test the alarm. There is a wire terminal strip above the high water float switch where you simply connect the pump and the pump hose hose is preinstalled. Mounting the pump is on my to do list.

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
For reference, check the “2008 H36 Manual” in the Hunter archives here. Our 2008 was prewired from the factory with the high water alarm. There is a standard bilge pump float switch mounted on the shoulder of the hull where it first drops toward the keel - about a foot above the lower bilge pump/switch. There is a small alarm panel at the instrument panel in the cockpit. I occasionally lift the float switch to test the alarm. There is a wire terminal strip above the high water float switch where you simply connect the pump and the pump hose hose is preinstalled. Mounting the pump is on my to do list.
Dan, is the high water float switch mounted in the lower hull or in the keel sump pit?
Already have the high water alarm but not sure where/how to mount switch. Would like it just slightly above the bilge pump float switch.
Any pics would help.
Jeff
2003 356

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Dan, is the high water float switch mounted in the lower hull or in the keel sump pit?
Already have the high water alarm but not sure where/how to mount switch. Would like it just slightly above the bilge pump float switch.
Any pics would help.
Jeff
2003 356
Jeff
My apologies for responding late. The float switch is mounted about 11” below the cabin sole, so the high water switch is about 15” above the bilge float switch/bottom of bilge . It sits on a piece of starboard. Photos in next post.
Dan

Last edited:

Dan_Y

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 36 Hampton
Glad I took these photos...reminded me I still needed to secure my house bank cables where they cross the bilge!