Puzzle me this: Marinas, Boat Yards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Welcome back NH. I hope you will share your experience with your list with us. Since most of us are DIYers it would be beneficial to find out the cost of having a boat maintained. This may help broaden our horizons and may even give us alternatives. Thanks for hanging in there. Ditto on the older boats. These things will be the subject of future Archaeologists.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Happy move

@Stu,

I wish I could say I've been to the boat. :-(
I've been packing my office for a move this weekend (larger digs).

I did get what may be a silly contraption to get all the growth off the bottom and not put me in the water while doing it. Sadly my girl has a hairy bottom :-(. And it explains our inability to finish a race last weekend (along with ten other boats) - that and we think the Js stole the wind when they whizzed past the cruising class.
Moving can be FUN! At least it forces us to clean up! :)

What silly contraption did you buy? Some of those brush the bottom while in the water doodads are pretty useful. The later faster fleets covering are a PITA. That's why I like it when the faster fleets go first.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
^1+ leave the attitude on the dock, kids...

fwiw, I use to race cars, and still race sailboats.

In both I compete(d) against women. They are the minority for sure, but some really good ones, that eat my lunch... all day every day.

In the race cars I'd see some attitudes from vendors, until they opened their mouth.

These women knew their stuff, knew how the sport worked, what they wanted and didn't put up with BS.

Once the the vendors were put in their place, the vendor gave them the same respect as everyone else.

I can understand why NH may feel the way she does, But OTOH, being a newbie doesn't help.

I honestly feel in 3 years you'll not have the problems you have today, Because you will know more about sailing and boating.

anyway, here is the wish list again

and my suggestions.

--
-Painted - skip for now, do on season 2 or 3. buff out gelcote for now.

-Anchor light - mast head? led? tricolor? (search for one and post that link for comments .... do you have wire running to the mast now, or you need to drill the cabin top? )

-Auto bilge - rule 600 bilge pump, with a float sw, wired directly to the battery, do you have an outlet or you need to drill a hole in the stern? either a check valve or a loop to prevent backflow.

-Better cabin lighting - florescent or led? again, pick some out and post for comments. they also make led replacements for bulbs. (do you need to run new wire, or just replace exisiting lights? running the wire is always tricky... how do you do that? is there a headliner? raceway?

-Invertor/sufficient batteries to power the CPAP that keeps my boyfriend from keeping me awake -again, how many amps does it draw, and how many hours. -2 or 3 group 27' GSM's or 2 6v golf cart batteries? how much room do you have? probably want a true sine wave inverter... Sumner has one. pm him... or look at his site...

-Some storage
- for what? food? clothes? ditch bag? (mostly you'll find ideas on threads and adapt to your vessel)

-The instrument displays have seen better days and aren't lit -What instruments do you want? depth, wind speed, apparent wind, knot meeter the wireless type seem popular.

-Rebed the starboard side windows that leak - pic of the widow and frame? just rebed or Remove and replace?

-Get rid of the companionway slat and replace it with doors -(meh, not a fan of doors on small boats. knee biters. but that is personal preference... you need to design something. (basic diagram, how and where to attach). teak, plexi, lexan? )

-Replace the deck hatch and insulation which leak - this could be complex or simple... need better pic's

And possibly mount a GPS so I can stop screwing with a handheld - tiller boat right? so no pedistal? it has to go on bulkhead or on a swing arm, or in the cabin... what will fit?

do you have a compass? where is it mounted?
---------

you've been to some cal sites?

ps: http://www.cal25.com/page5/page27/common.html

http://www.cal25.com/documents/files/calowner.pdf

I race against a cal 28 'majic'. its a different boat, but does fairly well when it blows over 15knts.

I think practical sailor also had a story on the cal 25's a few years back... stout boats, built like tanks, but heavy.

frankly, I'd start a new tread on your wish list items. this thread is too long, (which page were the pics again?) here:
http://forums.macgregor.sailboatowners.com/showpost.php?p=1051837&postcount=99

================
-I need to see the outside bulkhead. if you're committed to doors, that will cut off real estate on the bulkhead for instruments....

the compass can't be too near the electrics. -I like this style....
PLASTIMO Mini Contest Sailboat Bulkhead-Mount Compasses (they have one with a easy to read multi color card... )

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
I hope to see more good experiences discussed and not nick-nacking about gender.
But Brian, this thread has had a not-so-veiled undertone of gender bias and attitude from the very first post and through thus far 140 or so posts it's gone unchecked. In fact, I'm not sure what the purpose of the thread was, getting the boat fixed or gender equality.

I'm all for older boats. Are they stronger? Maybe but none of us are really in a position to know. Structure engineering and materials improvements have progressed exponentially over 4 decades. Are they better? Oh no, not going there, it's way too subjective. My preference for an older boat is I can afford it. I'll repair/modify it to suit my tastes and boating style. Cost vs. benefit is ultimately up to me but I won't be offended if a boating professional cautions me about overspending.

In the interest of accuracy,
The CAL was built by lapworth with Jenson.
CAL boats were designed by Bill Lapworth and built by Jensen Marine (right alongside Rangers, O'Day's, Luhrs powerboats, DeFever Passagemaker trawlers and Balboa motorhomes), a division of a conglomerate, Bangor Punta Corporation.

Aug 10, 2013
Cal 2-25 aka 25 MKII Portsmouth
But Brian, this thread has had a not-so-veiled undertone of gender bias and attitude from the very first post and through thus far 140 or so posts it's gone unchecked. In fact, I'm not sure what the purpose of the thread was, getting the boat fixed or gender equality.

I'm all for older boats. Are they stronger? Maybe but none of us are really in a position to know. Structure engineering and materials improvements have progressed exponentially over 4 decades. Are they better? Oh no, not going there, it's way too subjective. My preference for an older boat is I can afford it. I'll repair/modify it to suit my tastes and boating style. Cost vs. benefit is ultimately up to me but I won't be offended if a boating professional cautions me about overspending.

In the interest of accuracy,
CAL boats were designed by Bill Lapworth and built by Jensen Marine (right alongside Rangers, O'Day's, Luhrs powerboats, DeFever Passagemaker trawlers and Balboa motorhomes), a division of a conglomerate, Bangor Punta Corporation.
Yes. I am aware of that. I can read. I apologize for trying to short hand it on my iphone. I don't think Jensen could have built the boat without Lapworth's design. So Built by Lapworth with Jensen isn't wrong. But whatever, you seem to be looking for nooks and crannies to sink your talons into with respect to me. How nice.

I don't understand your points. You are upset about the thread. Go read something else instead of being a thorn in the side of those that want to substantial participate about the issues.

I am sorry that you think that gender discussion shouldn't be involved, but it was part of the initial query, and it is relevant.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Well, after all this, and was nice about the whole affair, I think I've got a clear idea of the problem. I don't even know why I bothered to read into it this far. Every time someone tried to steer it back around to a relevant problem with the boat, it just seems to keep taking a nasty turn.

whew..

Aug 10, 2013
So the Alerion, Morris & Hinkley's are poorly made compared to a Cal? Thanks for that info.

Today's Hinkley is not yesterday's Hinkley: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/10/business/10hinckley.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 Their company has gotten hit hard - and the message is that corporate greed is part of the problem.

I think an old wooden Hinkley is beautiful. I don't need a new Hinkley made of contemporary materials. I don't need a 60 foot boat. And, I don't need all the things the boat has. There are many out there who have said to me when it comes to a Hinkley, she's pretty but she sails like crap. I've never sailed a new Hinkley. I have sailed on an OLD Hinkley - wooden, smooth, balanced, and stable. It was a lot of fun and what turned me onto sailing.

Alerion - overpriced.

Morris: Not in the average person's league.

Everyone always thinks bigger is better. Newer is better. More expensive is better. I don't.

When it comes to buying a boat, I maintain, we pick the older boats - better built. For example: The guy who I bought my boat off of bought a BRAND NEW BENETEAU. Took it out for the first cruise, and it had broken electronics. His wife had to go out and grab the old handheld he used when he sailed the CAL to guide his way into the unfamiliar harbor at night.

Newer, not so great.

Aug 10, 2013
Ok. Oops forgot the rules. You are all right, I'm wrong. No opinions do I have. And, I shouldn't contribute unless I agree.

I am engaging in the discussion - you all are continuing to post. I am responding. If you are so bothered, don't post. Read something else. Go away. If you want to contribute constructively, have at it.

It's 3:40. On Friday. Go get on your boat. Sail away.

Feb 26, 2004
Back to basics

Skippers (of all genders :):):)),

Perhaps we can ALL get back to the issues.

We all wish NH well in resolving the challenges she has for her goals for improving her boat.

Why not just KISS and discuss just that? Many of us have read and/or contributed to this thread in many different ways.

Give her a break, and let's simply present the best of what we're all about here: helping people who ask questions and are looking for answers.

I personally think we've reacted to her responses in many different ways (boating - which she has disagreed with the DIY for reasonable personal reasons; and others - pretty much exhausted), so let's put that all behind us, and just do the best we all can.

Stu

JohnS

Sep 25, 2008
Islander (Wayfarer/McGlasson) 32 St Georges Harbor
For cripes sakes, can we address this person's boat concerns and leave gender out of it?!?! Just drop all the gender debating that's occurred so far. You don't have to make your point on the gender issue. Enough!

NH, I agree with a lot of what's been suggested so far: Prioritize your list, consider how much of it you're willing and able (skill AND time) to do yourself, then approach the yard with just your top items. I don't recall reading whether you contacted the yard by phone, email or in person, but the latter, if possible, will probably get you better results.

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
I am engaging in the discussion - you all are continuing to post. I am responding.
How about responding to my on-topic questions back in post #76 (or 77 or thereabouts)?

(response to Bill Lapworth being the designer rather than the builder) Yes. I am aware of that. I can read.
My post was not about reading but rather being there.

Has a decision been made on how to get your list of projects accomplished?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
@Stu,

I wish I could say I've been to the boat. :-(
I've been packing my office for a move this weekend (larger digs).

I did get what may be a silly contraption to get all the growth off the bottom and not put me in the water while doing it. Sadly my girl has a hairy bottom :-(. And it explains our inability to finish a race last weekend (along with ten other boats) - that and we think the Js stole the wind when they whizzed past the cruising class.
Hire a dive service to maintain your boat's bottom. No excuses for a foul bottom.

Aug 10, 2013
Hire a dive service to maintain your boat's bottom. No excuses for a foul bottom.
Bought a Brizio. With all this DIY advocating I want to be able to do this regularly. We will see how it works or whether it is ****.

Feb 26, 2004
Links

Bought a Brizio. With all this DIY advocating I want to be able to do this regularly. We will see how it works or whether it is ****.
Interesting. In many cases, when "we" suggest something, we also provide "links" to the product or to an earlier discussion.

Also understand that if you're using a phone, rather than a computer, it might be more difficult to post those links.

Please let us know. I also recognize I could use Google, and will in a moment, I'm in the midst a "ripping" out my old galley sink drains, and hope I don't sound too cranky. Been on my back with a saw all afternoon.

Hmm, now that I think of it, this DIY s*cks! :dance::naughty::eek::cussing::Liar:

I haven't ussed that many emoticons in years! :wow:

Thanks for the encouragement. :confused:

Feb 26, 2004
NH, thanks

Sigh :poke::2cool: Why? 'Cuz it rhymes???:doh::doh::doh::doh:

Thanks, makes sense. I've seen other versions but it is a very good investment. Have a great weekend, hope your move went well.

May 18, 2010
Oday 27 Gulfport, MS
Thanks for the link NH, I wasn't having any luck worth my Googling.

It looks like some sort of rubber blade like a squeegee; is that correct? I can't tell on my iPhone right now.

For that matter, What about using a standard squeegee like those in The auto parts stores? Anyone use that or any other creative device when scrubbing their bottom?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
My marina doesn't have finger piers and I can imagine the show of someone trying to use that from a dink.

Status
Not open for further replies.